Is ZAL or ZAM and Malwarebytes 3 Sufficient

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
IMO Zemana used to be good. They've seemingly declined over the last year or so.

Also the very fact they seemingly ripped off HMP has turned me off - even the icon was snagged. Erik brought this up elsewhere and they've gone into it in great detail. That was a poor way to treat a partner IMO. Also Zemana never responded about my disclosure of their 'distributed' cloud scanning computers being exposed to the internet with all of the intimate details of these machines leading a potential security exploit or at the least a DDOS. Also, if they are paying VirusTotal then why are they using rotating clusters of scanning systems spread around the world? See this thread;

Insight into Zemana's strange cloud scanning..

Fileless Malware is a big concern. I've seen a few every week in 2017 and common AV products run in the background totally oblivious to their operation. HitmanPro is very good at finding fileless malware if that's the case. Zemana is OK at it, but once again, I've seen detection decline from them. That's personal experience based on several hundred malware removals a month I supervise for the MSP I work for.

Thank you ForgottenSeer 58943. Yes I read your post about Zemana's strange behaviour last month. Very interesting finding!
I have tried HMP Alert as it is now part of Sophos Home Beta which I tried for two months before uninstalling it due to slow system behaviour. I think I'll have to try HMP more in depth.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thank you ForgottenSeer 58943. Yes I read your post about Zemana's strange behaviour last month. Very interesting finding!
I have tried HMP Alert as it is now part of Sophos Home Beta which I tried for two months before uninstalling it due to slow system behaviour. I think I'll have to try HMP more in depth.

Sophos REALLY drags down systems. Even robust gaming rigs become turtles, especially the web browsing.. o_O

Reactions: ispx and GonzitoVir

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Agreed.. Park MB3. Not worth it.

I'd go with Forticlient(Free) + VS.. Very lightweight and probably over the top protection. What Forticlient Free lacks, VS will surely pick up. Plus the web filtration in FC is absolutely amazing. Use my XML tweaks for Forticlient to turn on the deep signature database and you are good to go. I have 10 unused licenses for Zemana, I no longer trust it, also they never addressed the exposure of their cloud scanning systems to the greater internet that I brought up. Forget it!

ForgottenSeer 58943, I took your advice, and installed FortiClient and VoodooShield again to try. With his combo, I should be covered. I activated Sandboxing in FortiClient, I am assuming it helps. I also noticed some good reviews of the product. The only thing they removed is application firewall but I will use the Windows firewall. Btw, will FortiClient or VoodooShield cover me against Ransomware, or do I have to add a special program for this type of protection?

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I added the free version of Cybereason to my new combo. You think this is overkill?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I added the free version of Cybereason to my new combo. You think this is overkill?

I think this is overkill. VS and Forticlient should protect you from everything and be as light as a feather. Especially if you made those XML tweaks that turn on additional database signatures and activate some of the other features that aren't in the gui.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I think this is overkill. VS and Forticlient should protect you from everything and be as light as a feather. Especially if you made those XML tweaks that turn on additional database signatures and activate some of the other features that aren't in the gui.
Could you walk me through the steps to activate those XML tweaks that you refer? I would appreciate it. Thsnks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.