Question Where do you draw the line between privacy and functionality? Or is Google better?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you use privacy-focused productivity apps for Calendar, Mail, Storage?

Where do you draw the line between privacy and functionality?

I have tried a few privacy-focused apps on Android and discovered most lack functionality that can be useful from the Home Screen. For example, having more than 2 widgets takes up a lot of screen real estate, whereas with Google's 'At A Glance' widget I can see upcoming calendar events, weather and more.

No privacy-focused services appear to focus on functionality, rather they want to release half-baked products with features coming in 3+ months.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Do you use privacy-focused productivity apps for Calendar, Mail, Storage?

I have tried a few privacy-focused apps on Android and discovered most lack functionality that can be useful from the Home Screen. For example, having more than 2 widgets takes up a lot of screen real estate, whereas with Google's 'At A Glance' widget I can see upcoming calendar events, weather and more.

No privacy-focused services appear to focus on functionality, rather they want to release half-baked products with features coming in 3+ months.
One has to ask themselves, how can you really confirm what a company or developer does with your information and can any of this actually be called privacy?

I have come to the conclusion long time ago that the Internet is much like public, going out into it one can not expect privacy. Just as using any service on the Internet such as mail, or any other syncing service would entail.

This in mind and as you mentioned most 3rd party apps as such are half baked, I lean towards using full featured products for my needs without questioning the privacy factor. If I need privacy I simply do not divulge that information in products or online. I would use a offline method such as a thumb drive and note pad.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have given up on online privacy altogether. I use Adblocker inside browser with NextDNS and that's it. My data is already out there with numerous leaks included Aadhar biometric data as reported multiple times by various news articles.
If using an app/service makes privacy better at the cost of functionality/usability, I wouldn't use it. I have tried giving up Google Search multiple times but everything else is just worse. Plus, I already use various Google services (Gmail, maps, Meet, Drive, etc.), so what's the point? Google knows everything about me at this point, why would I incude another party into the mix. It's the same with Microsoft.

Edit: If it was not clear from above I am a lazy a*s person.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I have given up on online privacy altogether.
Same here. I think privacy is a lost case.

On Android using Firefox as browser and Outlook as email client. I have disabled as much as possible Google and Samsung service (without sacrificing functionality) and checked a privacy guideline (checking permissions and privacy options, disabling what I don't use/need). I am not logging into browsers, not syncing over devices, disabled location services and turning down offers to get more personalized services, but I don' t have the illusion that we can avoid being tracked.

Remember: "We are the Borg you will be assimilated, all your data belongs to us, resistance is futile" :)

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.