bribon77

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Good my question is if it is necessary to activate KSN

When I have activated the application control that acts as an antiexe and block unrecognized programs ??

Thank you.

Reactions: MWNu72

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
It seems to me that the main purpose of KSN is to give Kaspersky live data to help them improve their malware signatures and product. This benefits Kaspersky users as a whole, but doesn't provide benefits to the individual.

Therefore I am not convinced that turning on KSN provides any security advantages. If you switch it off, you are protected just the same.

Does anyone agree/disagree with this ?

Reactions: MWNu72

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It seems to me that the main purpose of KSN is to give Kaspersky live data to help them improve their malware signatures and product. This benefits Kaspersky users as a whole, but doesn't provide benefits to the individual.

Therefore I am not convinced that turning on KSN provides any security advantages. If you switch it off, you are protected just the same.

KSN helps to detect more efficiently and quickly threats and false positives. It, indeed, gives you more security. If you have it disabled, other Kaspersky users may be less secure. If others have it disabled, you are less secure than you could be. Everybody using KSN implicates higher response and detection rates.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Kaspersky updates your offline malware signatures about twice a day. That is kind of slow. If you are connected to KSN, then you have a better fighting chance against zero-day malware, because you are more up to date.

The original poster wrote: "I have activated the application control that acts as an antiexe"
That statement is not so accurate. Application Control is not an antiexe. If you also enable Trusted Applications Mode, and you tweak settings a bit, then you have an antiexe setup. But Application Control on its own is not antiexe.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017

it benefits the individual cause it can detect things that don't have a signature for you yet but the cloud data is available. it's beneficial for everyone.

Kaspersky updates your offline malware signatures about twice a day. That is kind of slow. If you are connected to KSN, then you have a better fighting chance against zero-day malware, because you are more up to date.

The original poster wrote: "I have activated the application control that acts as an antiexe"
That statement is not so accurate. Application Control is not an antiexe. If you also enable Trusted Applications Mode, and you tweak settings a bit, then you have an antiexe setup. But Application Control on its own is not antiexe.

You can set up Application Control to be almost an anti-exec for any files newly introduced to the system:

1. Set Application Control to move any untrusted files to Untrusted group; and
2. Disable "Use KSN rules for applications."

You have to do that after training Application Control for a few days at least.

You cannot disable "Trust digitally signed files because all your Trusted files will eventually get moved to Untrusted group.

I know a lot of people are enamored with TAM, but TAM is for n00bs. When you enable it there is a big message that states so. Configuring Application Control and using it properly is more effective than TAM. With TAM enabled one can install programs and execute files unless the other settings are adjusted. TAM just does a file lookup and notifies the user of unknown files and asks them what they want to do - allow or block. It is nothing special.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
You can set up Application Control to be almost an anti-exec for any files newly introduced to the system:

1. Set Application Control to move any untrusted files to Untrusted group; and
2. Disable "Use KSN rules for applications."

You have to do that after training Application Control for a few days at least.

You cannot disable "Trust digitally signed files because all your Trusted files will eventually get moved to Untrusted group.

I know a lot of people are enamored with TAM, but TAM is for n00bs. When you enable it there is a big message that states so. Configuring Application Control and using it properly is more effective than TAM. With TAM enabled one can install programs and execute files unless the other settings are adjusted. TAM just does a file lookup and notifies the user of unknown files and asks them what they want to do - allow or block. It is nothing special.
TAM loves to mess with Windows update too, had it happen once. Application control properly configured > TAM.

Reactions: shmu26

TAM loves to mess with Windows update too, had it happen once. Application control properly configured > TAM.

Yes. Using TAM is of no significant security advantage over just using Application Control. How the user configures settings is far more significant to security than TAM.

Reactions: shmu26 and mekelek

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
On my system (KIS 2018), TAM automatically blocks files that are not on KSN whitelist. Even if Kaspersky is in interactive mode, TAM still blocks.

Reactions: harlan4096
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.