Do you use an Admin account or Standard User Account?

Do you use and Admin Account or a Standard User Account

• Admin Account

Votes: 87 73.1%
  • Standard User Account (SUA)

Votes: 33 27.7%

• Total voters

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It's been about a year since a big discussion on this, but even longer since a poll has been posted. Last I checked the community had been drifting towards favoring an SUA, adoption was up in 2017 over 2016. So I'm just curious where the community is at these days? We know SUA is more secure, there's no need to debate that, but it comes with usability issues. Do you use an Admin Account or an SUA? Forgive me if I missed a more recent pole, but I hadn't seen one.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I've been using a SUA for several years, but have some issues with programs and tray icons that won't start with the system. I've tolerated it, and don't mind entering a pin for elevation, but it does tempt me to run as Admin sometimes. Thankfully I don't reboot more than a couple times a week. I think most people with good habits will survive an administrator account with no issues, but there's always that just in case scenario.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Yes you can.

You can install web browsers to your local user account folder, and certain other software that don't require the Program Files directory.

Also apps from the Microsoft Store - correct if wrong.
"Moreover, a Standard user is also not allowed to install new or even run certain existing apps on the computer. Some may think this to be a hassle. It was done to protect your computer from malware and viruses that often install without your permission. "

Reactions: Dave Russo

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Admin. You can't even install programs with a standard account.
You just need the Admin credentials. So you have a local admin account and then the SUA. When you install a program the UAC prompt will ask for Admin credential. There was a POC last year about malware abusing the credential elevation prompt to steal the Admin token, but it's not very common. Also, it's still safer than Admin 24/7. However the best practice is install items in admin and do daily tasks in SUA (I don't bother with this personally).

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
"Moreover, a Standard user is also not allowed to install new or even run certain existing apps on the computer. Some may think this to be a hassle. It was done to protect your computer from malware and viruses that often install without your permission. "

Click this

I'm sorry if you got that article from me who posted it

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"Moreover, a Standard user is also not allowed to install new or [...] "
Just happened to install Opera GX under a Standard User account, no approval required. You can try it.
Untitled2.png
1588965684632.png

When you install a program the UAC prompt will ask for Admin credential.
There was one for Firefox, but no Admin creds. required for Opera GX. Might be because it's default is the local directory?

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Just happened to install Opera GX under a Standard User account, no approval required. You can try it.
View attachment 239199
View attachment 239201

There was one for Firefox, but no Admin creds. required for Opera GX. Might be because it's default is the local directory?
Yes I believe Firefox installs needing admin credentials. I just meant in general, you can still use SUA without having to always be in an administrator account. I think Chrome will also install without UAC, but I could be wrong since it’s been a while.

Edit: sorry had that first sentence backwards initially. I think Chrome and Firefox require UAC prompts, but can update without UAC.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Nonsense, I'm using SUA for almost 10 years, first on Windows7 and later on Windows10, installing software/programs is possible!

Finally, some sanity.

I install everything, including all browsers, using a SUA. More time-consuming and a bit of a hassle? Maybe. I use a keyboard-friendly password and have peace of mind with no issues.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
SUA, should IMO be one of the main mantras that's used just the same as backup. Well that and verified backups of course, as otherwise it could come as a painful experience down the road.

If we want common users to learn any basic security, this is one of the first. It's too easy to elevate permission if actually needed.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
I will not use anymore SUA. Personally is almost useless for me, safe apps, safe web sites and without SUA i can clean some leftovers in appdata and user folder. If ppls start to use unsafe programs (cracks,etc) is a mandatory.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
SUA, should IMO be one of the main mantras that's used just the same as backup. Well that and verified backups of course, as otherwise it could come as a painful experience down the road.

If we want common users to learn any basic security, this is one of the first. It's too easy to elevate permission if actually needed.
My only issue is that not all programs are written to be able to startup in SUA. It drives me nuts that they don't consider this. I guess that's what happens when 90% of the population runs an admin account.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I will not use anymore SUA. Personally is almost useless for me, safe apps, safe web sites and with SUA i can clean some leftovers in appdata and user folder. If ppls start to use unsafe programs (cracks,etc) is a mandatory.
Yes it can depend how the computer is being used. Some people have more risk than others, and some people have different needs. Devs have a hard time running on SUA.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.