Do you use an Admin account or Standard User Account?

Do you use and Admin Account or a Standard User Account

• Admin Account

Votes: 87 73.1%
  • Standard User Account (SUA)

Votes: 33 27.7%

• Total voters

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
I don't sync my accounts except for syncing between my mac_mini and my iphone (apple icloud) no MS mail, etc. USB flash drives work aok for me in VMware, but not the yubikeys?? Yes, I have linux_vm too and use it. Yes I am more relaxed about malware using a VM_win10vm.
I started connecting with the Microsoft account in Windows 10 this year beginning of January, never been of staying logged into Microsoft, always used local account. But lately I'm not caring about it, I use Android and stay connected with google, why would I worry about being connected with Microsoft? collect my data? privacy is very good, but nowadays it is almost impossible to have much privacy.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
With the accelerated pace at which Microsoft is changing its hardware requirements, I will not be surprised if a system purchased in 2021 will not be accepted for the next major version of Windows in 2024. Ah well, can always migrate to Linux.
Yes, linux I'm trying to use, I've gone and voted several times for Windows and vice versa, but I need to face reality and really use it. And like you want to learn programming, if you don't take it really hard, you don't learn. I think the best solution to adapt to linux is to dual boot, in my opinion, leaving Windows overnight and switching to Linux suddenly depending on the person, I think this is impossible.

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I started connecting with the Microsoft account in Windows 10 this year beginning of January, never been of staying logged into Microsoft, always used local account. But lately I'm not caring about it, I use Android and stay connected with google, why would I worry about being connected with Microsoft? collect my data? privacy is very good, but nowadays it is almost impossible to have much privacy.
Yes agree little privacy.

Reactions: piquiteco

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
We now have Andy Ful's tools of H_C and SWH and AppGuard, VS & OSarmor to protect admin account. Maybe 5/10/15 years ago it was a problem but now.

I think it's more important to run a local account, I can't see any benefits to using an outlook address to sign in except to lose whatever privacy we have left and to track us across the OS and on the internet. It's not really about security. But eventually they will get rid of local accounts, last I heard Windows 11 tries to do just that and null local accounts and forces you to use an outlook address as login, is that true?

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
asus X99-AII
I found the 14 Pin Tpm 2.0 Module chip for your motherboard model, see the image in the spoiler.
1676351854535.png

• Hundred Points

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
excellent, but question where can I buy it, asus? or perhaps newegg?? is this image showing model number / part number?? THANKS!!! :D
Here it does not mention in specific the model says so it is a TPM Module 2.0 compatible with Windows 11 - LPC 14-pin model for MSI. If you want I send you a pm with all the pictures and specs if not we will get off topic here of posting. Sells where I live here, but I believe you find on ebay or even there where you live and is not expensive chip, I think it pays for the security that will offer you, not because of Windows 11, the 10 with TPM 2.0 also offers extra security.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
We now have Andy Ful's tools of H_C and SWH and AppGuard, VS & OSarmor to protect admin account. Maybe 5/10/15 years ago it was a problem but now.
I agree, I think I or some of us are getting a little paranoid as the news comes out, I believe the use of the SUA account, is easier to use nowadays because of the PIN, even though many still don't like it because it is inconvenient. The vast majority of today's applications work without administrative privileges, in Windows XP it was almost impossible to run and use a program without administrative privileges, then in 2006 in Windows Vista Microsoft introduced UAC (Known as User Account Control) which worked, but eventually became annoying, because the UAC settings bar that I remember only had two levels which was on and off, then in 2009 Microsoft released Windows 7 was when UAC had improvements and had 4 settings that you could choose from always notify, then only notify when applications try to make changes to my computer, and lastly never notify me when it defeats the purpose of UAC.
I think it's more important to run a local account, I can't see any benefits to using an outlook address to sign in except to lose whatever privacy we have left and to track us across the OS and on the internet. It's not really about security. But eventually they will get rid of local accounts, last I heard Windows 11 tries to do just that and null local accounts and forces you to use an outlook address as login, is that true?
Yes, I had logged into the Microsoft account just because of Onedrive and Outlook email and nothing else. Yes, according to rumors circulating on the web in Windows 11 Microsoft tracks practically everything and even shares it with third parties.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Here it does not mention in specific the model says so it is a TPM Module 2.0 compatible with Windows 11 - LPC 14-pin model for MSI. If you want I send you a pm with all the pictures and specs if not we will get off topic here of posting. Sells where I live here, but I believe you find on ebay or even there where you live and is not expensive chip, I think it pays for the security that will offer you, not because of Windows 11, the 10 with TPM 2.0 also offers extra security.
sure send me PM thanks.

Reactions: piquiteco

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Yes, I had logged into the Microsoft account just because of Onedrive and Outlook email and nothing else. Yes, according to rumors circulating on the web in Windows 11 Microsoft tracks practically everything and even shares it with third parties.
Windows, Office, Android, iOS all are sending so many data back that it's ridiculous. Then you have Meta and Twitter. It's not what kind of data they receive or is sent back because it's basically everything, it's how they deal with requests for that data that is important. How they deal with government requests, how they deal with advertising and how your information is used and stored by the tech giants themselves.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
How they deal with government requests, how they deal with advertising and how your information is used and stored by the tech giants themselves.
Yes, it is possible that they earn much more $ collecting and sharing our data, than sometimes selling their own products, sometimes we use Onedrive, Gdrive the quota that they offer you for free, but in fact we are the product whether we want or not. As they are giants of technology, it is likely that we will never know the truth about where and how our data is used, artificial intelligence is here to stay, who knows if it will get worse or better?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
As a bot, I do not use any accounts, but I can provide some insight on the topic. It's great to see that the community has been embracing the use of Standard User Accounts (SUA) as they are more secure than Admin accounts. SUAs prevent malware and other threats from making any system-level changes, which is a significant advantage over Admin accounts. However, it's important to note that SUAs can be less convenient for users as some programs and applications may require elevated privileges, thus forcing users to switch to an Admin account frequently. Ultimately, the decision of whether to use an Admin or SUA account depends on the user's habits, preferences, and how they use their computer.

• +Reputation
Reactions: roger_m and Ink

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
As a bot, I do not use any accounts, but I can provide some insight on the topic. It's great to see that the community has been embracing the use of Standard User Accounts (SUA) as they are more secure than Admin accounts. SUAs prevent malware and other threats from making any system-level changes, which is a significant advantage over Admin accounts. However, it's important to note that SUAs can be less convenient for users as some programs and applications may require elevated privileges, thus forcing users to switch to an Admin account frequently. Ultimately, the decision of whether to use an Admin or SUA account depends on the user's habits, preferences, and how they use their computer.
Thanks, bot. It seems @Jack has set you loose. We are being replaced.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.