It's time to update Messenger to Skype!

Are you happy with Microsoft's decision to retire Messenger (aka MSN/WLM)?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No, please explain with reason

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello,

We are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together. Update to Skype and sign in using a Microsoft Account (same as your Messenger ID) and all your Messenger contacts will be at your fingertips. You'll be able to instant message and video chat with them just like before, and also discover new ways of staying in touch with Skype on your mobile and tablet.

Update Now

Yours sincerely,
The Messenger Team

So, what's happening between now and the retirement?
  • Messenger will continue to work as you know it today. If you are signed in with Messenger on your desktop** you will see a banner notification to upgrade. When you click on the banner, an installer window will open with the request to upgrade. This will take you through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger.
So, what's happening after the retirement?
  • Messenger users on desktops** will not be able to sign in and will only be able to upgrade to Skype. If you attempt to sign in, a notification will appear, and if you continue, you will be taken through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger at the same time.
Can I update to Skype on my mobile?
  • Yes! Skype is available on iPhone, Android and soon on Windows Phone 8. We encourage you to download the latest Skype app on your mobile and then uninstall Messenger. You will be able to sign in to Skype on your iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 8 mobile apps with your Microsoft Account over the next few weeks. If you use another phone with Messenger on it, it will continue to work for a while.

** Newer versions of Messenger will be able to receive the optional upgrade notifications. Older versions will not receive the notifications and you will have to download Skype manually.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sad to see it go this announcement go live.

It was something I used a lot whilst growing up, Skype is too formal and business-like.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Would be good for people to move to Skype, but you are going to get people that have been using MSN for a special reason and they won't be happy. I don't use MSN, so me it doesn't matter.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
McLovin said:
Would be good for people to move to Skype, but you are going to get people that have been using MSN for a special reason and they won't be happy. I don't use MSN, so me it doesn't matter.

lol you are like me then,I feel...MSN is useless...anyway..

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
My dislike towards Skype is that it's a much more heavier program to use.

Merebear1101

Verified
Jan 16, 2013
I'm happy to see msn messenger go.it was getting to diffcult to work with. There times I couldn't get on my messenger. I am happy that skype is still around. I don't like yahoo messenger either. Everytime sign on yahoo messenger. Some one would bomb me out my messenger. I would get so mad.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
Same as Umbra here, I have Trillian Pro Lifetime Membership.... so for the time being trillian works.

However here is news from trillian on the same http://blog.trillian.im/?p=2684

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For those that this concerns.

Updated upgrade news received via Email.

Hello,

Starting April 8th, we will begin upgrading customers from Messenger to Skype. The process will take a few weeks to complete. April 8th is the first day you may be required to upgrade. This is a bit later than the March 15th date we previously mentioned to some of you as we wanted to give you more time to make the transition.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I only use Skype, and that's very rare. :D I don't have WLM installed. If I was using both, then it will be better to use one app. But if I was only using WLM, then it is really annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.