Not open for further replies.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
You are just fine. If you are in danger, try this:

- Replace AdBlockPlus with uBlock Origin (more customizable, faster).
- Use an anti-exe software such as Voodoshield (the free version is enough).
- Disable Powershell exe, wscript, remote access, etc in Hard Configurator.
- Use more scanners to effectively check if your PC is completely clean. Try Norton Power Eraser, AdwCleaner.
- Use a backup software like Macrium Reflect (very important!).

Take it easy. Infections do not occur everyday :)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
You are just fine. If you are in danger, try this:

- Replace AdBlockPlus with uBlock Origin (more customizable, faster).
- Use an anti-exe software such as Voodoshield (the free version is enough).
- Disable Powershell exe, wscript, remote access, etc in Hard Configurator.
- Use more scanners to effectively check if your PC is completely clean. Try Norton Power Eraser, AdwCleaner.
- Use a backup software like Macrium Reflect (very important!).

Take it easy. Infections do not occur everyday :)
Comodo Firewall is practically already like VoodooShield.

Reactions: iw888 and brod56

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Comodo Firewall is practically already like VoodooShield.

Same purpose, very different softwares.
Comodo sandboxes everything, Voodoshield checks everything in VirusTotal before running.
Thats why I prefer VS, but you are right, I should have recommended to choose just one of them.

Reactions: Muppet and iw888

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You need some type of system backup solution.Those programs already suggested are good.
I would consider replacing ABD + with uBlock Origin.
You could add an additional on demand scanner(s) but it is not necessary.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: JM Safe and iw888

iw888

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 14, 2017
Norton Power Eraser and AdwCleaner added as additional portable on demand scanners. AdBlock Plus replaced with uBlock Origin.

Why you should make a backup of sistem ? If the system has a problem its not better to format and to start from scratch ?

What do you think of VPNs ? It is worth to buy a subscription to a VPN service ?

Reactions: brod56

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Norton Power Eraser and AdwCleaner added as additional portable on demand scanners. AdBlock Plus replaced with uBlock Origin.

Why you should make a backup of sistem ? If the system has a problem its not better to format and to start from scratch ?

What do you think of VPNs ? It is worth to buy a subscription to a VPN service ?

Backups are always worth it to facilitate the recovery process (from system image or just for files) without need to format.
About the VPN, I would say no. Its use is very specific (unblock sites, malware testing, torrent downloading) and is not mandatory nor really necessary in order to have decent privacy. Just my opinion, though.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If you wish to hide your computing activities from your ISP, unblock geo-restricted/government restricted websites or wish to have your network traffic encrypted full time then sure. If you don't care about any of those things then it's not worth the price.

Just be aware of the limitations when it comes to a VPN:
  • Hiding your browsing activity from your ISP is all well and good but you're trading trust in your ISP to trust in your VPN provider. Most companies that provide VPNs claim a 'no logs' policy in which none of your traffic is kept on record but I suggest you always take that with a grain of salt. A VPN also won't hide your activities from your government who (assuming you live in a first or second world country) probably have the ability to decrypt your traffic.
  • Some geo-restricted sites/content have policies against proxy/VPN usage and actively block known VPN servers from using their site or viewing their content. Netflix for example can choose to ban your account for using a VPN to watch content from its non-native catalogue. (Although I've never heard of anyone actually being banned.)

Last edited:

iw888

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 14, 2017
Theoretically a VPN increases even security... your traffic is encrypted... you stay behind another PC...

In practice a VPN is a deep act of faith to those who sells it to you...

iw888

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 14, 2017
@frogboy
@TerrakionSmash

Finally I find the time to answer.

Before today my PC security was entrusted only to the integrated antivirus and firewall in WIN10 with the addition of some scan with Malwarebytes.

I do not know how but I was subtracted from the number of my credit card... luckily I had set restrictions such as to immediately trigger the automatic locking... I'm not sure that the theft was in virtual life or in real life... I'm not sure if the data haven't been stolen by a third party server that kept my charge... but I decided to format and increase PC security...

Reactions: frogboy

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
@frogboy
@TerrakionSmash

Finally I find the time to answer.

Before today my PC security was entrusted only to the integrated antivirus and firewall in Windows 10 with the addition of some scan with Malwarebytes.

I do not know how but I was subtracted from the number of my credit card... luckily I had set restrictions such as to immediately trigger the automatic locking... I'm not sure that the theft was in virtual life or in real life... I'm not sure if the data haven't been stolen by a third party server that kept my charge... but I decided to format and increase PC security...

Probably a phishing situation, I don't believe a spyware could have done that with Windows Defender enabled. Better to prevent with good uBlock filters :)

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.