disable right click
instant translate
tampermonkey
video download helper

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Why NO antivirus software? YOU need to enable UAC (default settings are fine)

ja sam

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2014
Yes i guessed that's going to look strange. At this moment i do not have any. I used bit defender's IS untill month ago and started having some issues and uninstalled. Then i tryed webroot's secure anywhere, started to have even more strange issues and uninstalled. So now i'm searching for right choice for my weak pc, something that's not going to cause heavy load on my system.

hopefully_secure

Level 2
Verified
Jul 18, 2014
Yes i guessed that's going to look strange. At this moment i do not have any. I used bit defender's IS untill month ago and started having some issues and uninstalled. Then i tryed webroot's secure anywhere, started to have even more strange issues and uninstalled. So now i'm searching for right choice for my weak pc, something that's not going to cause heavy load on my system.

You should turn UAC on to the default setting. For a light anti-virus try out Avast!, Avira, 360 Internet Security or 360 Total Security (Bitdefender disabled), or Microsoft Security Essentials (as long as you have smart browsing habits). Try ESET NOD32 or ESET Smart Security (depending on your needs) if you have the money to buy a license to an anti-virus, I think it has a 30 day trial.

ja sam

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2014
(as long as you have smart browsing habits).
In my experience best antivirus protection is in not going to places and not downloading things that are most likely to have some malware. I think it's called "think before you click". I am able to recognize such sites and links and i have in my head built in sonar for such things.
I had period of one year without any security software and didn't have any problems with infections. I'm not advocating that everyone should behave like that, i'm just saying that kind of choice worked for me.

Reactions: hopefully_secure

hopefully_secure

Level 2
Verified
Jul 18, 2014
In my experience best antivirus protection is in not going to places and not downloading things that are most likely to have some malware. I think it's called "think before you click". I am able to recognize such sites and links and i have in my head built in sonar for such things.
I had period of one year without any security software and didn't have any problems with infections. I'm not advocating that everyone should behave like that, i'm just saying that kind of choice worked for me.

That is very true, if you want to go the no active protection route I would at least suggest you use a few on-demand scanners (such as MBAM, EEK, etc) once in a while though. Just to be safe, no one can avoid malware forever, and if an infection is doing its job right, you won't even know it's there.

ja sam

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2014
To be honest i don't understand for what is actually uac useful in terms of anti malware protection. While i had it enabled it only dimmed my desktop every time i install new program.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.