Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Updated on 25 July 2016.

This is a pretty simple system configuration, however I mostly stay safe by not doing stupid things on my machine. I heavily use my virtual machine (with Ubuntu and Windows 10) for anything that could be risky.

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Nice setup Jack!
Simple :D
It's pretty simple... I mostly stay safe by not doing stupid things on my machine... I heavily use my virtual machine (with Ubuntu and Windows 10) for anything that could be risky.

Giving ESET Smart Security 9 a try to see how it performs on a real system... Not a lot of options to increase the protection however it's pretty good with this out of the box setup.

Nice and simple setup! Good to find another ESET based config(same here)... my humble suggestion:oops: maybe add a sandbox/shadow defender to keep system baseline changes minimal?
Thanks for the good suggestion. I think I will try Sandboxie to see how it performs... I was a long time user of Sandboxie but I've started to use Vmware more intensively and stopped using Sandboxie.

EDIT: @Rishi Installed Sandboxie.
4.jpg

Last edited:

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
It's pretty simple... I mostly stay safe by not doing stupid things on my machine... I heavily use my virtual machine (with Ubuntu and Windows 10) for anything that could be risky.
Giving ESET Smart Security 9 a try to see how it performs on a real system... Not a lot of options to increase the protection however it's pretty good with this out of the box setup.

100% Agreed with you, same here ;)
I use ESET on my gaming PC already a year actually.. and then I extend it for another 1 year.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Update: Added HitmanPro.Alert (trial) to my system configuration.

Operating System:
Windows 10
OS Edition:
Pro
OS Build:

OS Architecture:

64-bit
User Access Control:

Always Notfiy (Maximum)
OS Firewall:

3rd Party Firewall
OS Updates & Security Patches:

Automatic
OS App Reputation:

Enabled (Smartscreen / Gatekeeper)
User Account:

Microsoft Account
Recent Malware Attacks:

No
Participate in Malware Hub:

Inside in a Virtual Machine
Real-time Malware Protection:

ESET Smart Security 9 with HIPS in Smart Mode and PUP detection enabled + Sandboxie + HitmanPro Alert
On-demand Malware Scanners:

Malwarebytes, Emsisoft and HitmanPro
Security Product Settings:

Custom
Browsers and Extensions:

Google Chrome with uBlock Origin, Web Of Trust and LastPass
Password Manager:

LastPass
AdBlocker:

Ublock Origin
Privacy Cleaners, System Tuning and Encryption:

Ccleaner
Data Backup:

Weekly Backups
System Image Backup:

Automatic Backups
Smartphone and Tablet OS:

• Android
Security Checklist:

• Latest OS Updates
  • Lockscreen or Fingerprint
  • Trusted App Stores
  • Anti-Theft with Remote Wipe
  • Storage Encryption

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hope Sophos keeps it around, I am kinda scared to check it out though till the dust settles.
Let us know what your impressions are of it Jack, I would love to hear your thoughts on
HMPA.
PeAcE

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.