Jester's security config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 21, 2017
Hi all, keep up the good work guys. Here is my current setup I want to get tips on how to strengthen my security.
My specs are Intel Core i-3 4030U@1,90GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Intel HD Graphics Family.

I don't download staff, no torrents, no games, no careless clicking, that's why my config is poor to the point of crudeness... I do online shopping, that's why i chose Bitdefender and the SafePay dedicated browser (although version 2018 is quite buggy and I'm a bit disappointed).

Thank you, guys.

P

plat1098

"Buggy" kind of jumped out. Your core security should be stable and error-free. Did you check the Bitdefender threads here?

You might consider upgraded browser hardening: uBlock Origin for Edge via Store instead of AdBlock Plus. uBlock Origin is also suggested for Firefox. Members experienced with Firefox can recommend additional add-ons for this browser, Edge too. I see Firefox is moving to WebExtensions within the coming months. :censored:

Dashboard: 3rd party filters · gorhill/uBlock Wiki · GitHub

Do you use the registry cleaner a lot?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Jester: please kindly consider to change/add in Your config:

- To use a freeware password manager as KeyPass PassWord Safe.
- Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper, well known and safe systems security image applications, and set to weekly backups.
- uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere add-ons for Your browser (Mozilla FireFox).

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Good backup policy, please consider you can migrate to Macrium for a fast and reliable backup plan.
Considering that nowadays part of our life is contained in our data, they have an inestimable value.
So you can save a copy of them also on external/offline support, far away from ransomware claws, and hardware failures.

Jester

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 21, 2017
Thank you all for your replies!!!
Some quick notes: I replaced Adblock with uBlock Origin and added HTTPS Everywhere, so my security config is updated. I had in mind reaching 8GB RAM, in fact has been scheduled. Regarding the password manager, Bitdefender comes with Bitdefender Wallet, but i trust my mind better than a password manager.
I will take a look at Macrium and Aomei, i do keep copy of all my data (fotos, documents, etc). As far as concerns my core security, i really liked Bitdefender alot, previous version was alost flawless and worked like a charm, users were "forced" to upgrade to 2018 version through automatic updates, but new version is buggy, i.e. quick scan and custom scans is a real mess. The problem is well known, but still no fix, i have also opened a ticket at Bitdefender Forum and contacted costumer support but no chance.

a1nn

Level 2
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
Hello! I would suggest that you do the following:
  • Set UAC to Always Ask
Other than that, it looks perfectly fine. However, I have a few minor gripes. I would suggest doing second opinion scans weekly, with both scanners. This is a matter of personal opinion, but I'm currently not using MBAM or ZAM because they both take up a significant amount of RAM. Emsisoft Emergency Kit is an alternative that only runs when required. Thanks for sharing! :)

Reactions: harlan4096

Jester

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 21, 2017
Hello! I would suggest that you do the following:
  • Set UAC to Always Ask
Other than that, it looks perfectly fine. However, I have a few minor gripes. I would suggest doing second opinion scans weekly, with both scanners. This is a matter of personal opinion, but I'm currently not using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or ZAM because they both take up a significant amount of RAM. Emsisoft Emergency Kit is an alternative that only runs when required. Thanks for sharing! :)

I downloaded EEK following your suggestion, and i have to say that it takes significant space (about 620MB). The strange thing is that yesterday i updated it and Bitdefender Internet Security displayed this very notification: "The file C:\EEK\start commandline scanner.exe is infected with Gen:Trojan.Heur.DP.COY@aCBNFUli.The virus has been successfully blocked and your PC is now safe." False positive?

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
I downloaded EEK following your suggestion, and i have to say that it takes significant space (about 620MB). The strange thing is that yesterday i updated it and Bitdefender Internet Security displayed this very notification: "The file C:\EEK\start commandline scanner.exe is infected with Gen:Trojan.Heur.DP.COY@aCBNFUli.The virus has been successfully blocked and your PC is now safe." False positive?
Yes.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.