Jim's Config

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi JimD. Thank you for sharing your configuration.:) It looks fast, safe, & secure!:D I use each of the Add-ons you've mentioned, with the exception of Avast Online Security. Most of them I'd learned of here!;)
There are two items I'd learned about shortly after joining which changed my online viewpoint once I grew accustomed to them. One is among my favorite Add-ons called LastPass. You can read about it here https://lastpass.com/
A free software I'd also learned of on MT that stands out is called Sandboxie www.sandboxie.com & one I hope you'll look into even if you're not ready to try them just yet. One nice aspect of using Sandboxie's sandbox (containment) is that effects last only as long as you keep the "sandbox", and later one can decide whether to commit to a lasting installation outside of the containment. It's like wearing a space suit.:)

Last edited:

JimD

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 12, 2014
Cats-4_Owners-2, great to hear from you. I do use LastPass, and it's good to hear another's recommendation as well. As for Sandboxie, I certainly am aware of it and it's fine reputation. In fact I do intend to seriously look into it. Question: are you familiar enough with Virtualbox to offer a comparison? I mean, it get praised every bit as much as Sandboxie and I have wanted to find a way to decide between them. Any thoughts?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Cats-4_Owners-2, great to hear from you. I do use LastPass, and it's good to hear another's recommendation as well. As for Sandboxie, I certainly am aware of it and it's fine reputation. In fact I do intend to seriously look into it. Question: are you familiar enough with Virtualbox to offer a comparison? I mean, it get praised every bit as much as Sandboxie and I have wanted to find a way to decide between them. Any thoughts?
Thanks, JimD!:):) It was equally nice to hear we share good vibes about LastPass!:)
Why not try both Sandboxie 'and' Virtualbox...:cool:
I have, thus far, only used Sandboxie, & all my family uses it, with all our browsing. The only testing I've done using Sandboxie has been to test drive extensions which are only kept as long as one chooses to keep the sandbox intact (until it is deleted). Sometimes I'll hibernate, and continue the next day, but most often delete the sandbox when closing the browser.
To answer your question about Virtualbox, this only comes from what I've read.;)
  1. Virtualbox is far more involved than Sandboxie's free default sandbox containment.
  2. Except for some whom utilize Shadow Defender, members here use VB to create a Virtual Machine in which an entire system is partitioned for testing with the use of known:eek: malware, infected sites, Trojans, & software downloads, when conducting comparison testing of AV & Firewall software.
  • I had thought Virtualbox would be required first, and would be needed first to install the light new Linux lubuntu OS which was to replace our old (now happily retired) Windows XP system. Since I was able to do this without Virtualbox, I suppose I've become complacent :rolleyes:(or lazy);) about graduating to to the next level, Virtualbox!:D
To prevent this from happening to you, here's a link to the safe site softpedia with reviews & downloads for Virtualbox
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/VirtualBox.shtml

Last edited:

trainbus120

Level 10
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Hey Jim: Apart from a query I have, I feel that your config is well equipped to safeguard you from the online mess.
Query : You have windows 8.1 and use Comodo Cleaning Essentials. Does that work. Since I think its not compatible with windows 8.1.

D

Deleted member 178

Question: are you familiar enough with Virtualbox to offer a comparison?

Virtual Box is a Virtual Machine maker: you instal a virtual OS and run it in your OS.
Sandboxie is a full vitualization sandbox: you create a containment space and virtually run some executables in it.

VB is made for testing any OS available while sandboxie is more for your protection.
they are totally different softwares.

Reactions: Kent and JimD

JimD

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 12, 2014
Cats-4_Owners-2
Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I apologize for taking so long to reply --- this thread somehow slipped from my view.

JimD

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 12, 2014
trainbus120
Query : You have windows 8.1 and use Comodo Cleaning Essentials. Does that work. Since I think its not compatible with windows 8.1.

As with Cats-4_Owners-2, my apology for not replying sooner. By now you probably have moved on concerning your question. But for what it is worth, I have not had any problem using Comodo. Beyond that, I do not intend to switch to something else so I cannot offer you any comparisons to other software; I haven't been paying attention to others. Sorry. 8-(

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Cats-4_Owners-2
Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I apologize for taking so long to reply --- this thread somehow slipped from my view.
Oh, thanks for replying!:)
Since our last meeting, I've begun using Virtual Box installed on our Windows 8.1 lap top.
As Umbra Polaris stated: "Sandboxie & Virtual Box are completely different..", but for the term (imho) Virtual.

Virtual machines created in Virtual Box are also a fun and engrossing way to get the feel of what an assortment of computer systems are like first, before deciding to buy them ..or to just keep using as full fledged computer systems, separate and unique, from the "Host" system it is installed upon.
Our Windows 8.1 has two different linux distros (distributions) installed separately, both of which are powerful and free!:cool: It's also possible to install other Windows and Mac OSX systems too.

I still use Sandboxie most every time I am online, except when updating security patches or making other changes to the browser itself that I'd like to stay put.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: JimD and Kent

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.