Assigned Join Zemana Beta Group

This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, downloaded an eicar file and "potentially unwanted .exe" from AMTSO to check. Please see my GIF below. Zemana didn't detect them but SmartScreen and Windows Defender did; HitmanPro detected the "pua". Technically, no, I'm not infected but.... would Zemana have capability to detect PUPs and adware? Sorry, not familiar with the original product.

Windows v. 1809.

bandicam20181217164020513.gif

shadek

Level 1
Aug 20, 2017
1) Zemana alpha 3.0 is not detecting Eicar test file when doing on-demand scan... is that normal behavior? Zemana AM 2.0 does detect it.

2) Will the Alpha version of 3.0 auto-update or do we need to manually update for each new release?

3) Will we need certain beta-keys later on for this beta? I only have 3 licenses for Zemana Antilogger 2.0.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
boombastik: I am comparing Zemana to HitmanPro in this context, which also has no RTP. :giggle:

Edit: After the quick scan is completed, there's text stating something to the effect that it is not the quick scan's job to detect malware you may have placed on your machine, or something like that. I don't know what to make of that--can I get more info as to what areas the quick scan is checking?

Last edited:

tsunami

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2018
we can expect a portable version of this in the future right?

usability feedback: while scanning put an indication in the scanning page whether it is "Smart" or "Full" to let the user know what scan type was chosen. Currently it only says "Scan" at the top middle part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Songoku and show-Zi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I have a question.
Is there a change in the language setting specification in the beta version? Because the Japanese language file of ZAMver 2.7 is distributed informally, I would like to know if diversion is possible.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Seems I'm alone in having a fatal crash (the program not me) couldn't get by the end of the install. I'll have another go tomorrow when I have time, I like the GUI from the screen shots. I'll install it with as few a programs running as I can etc. & see. :)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just installed the beta. Scans are taking around 30 seconds. There were a few false positives, but unfortunately no option to report the false positives. If Zemana is going to have issues with false positives, there needs to be an option to report detected files as false positives, otherwise I'll be giving this a miss.

Another issue, which I'm sure will be fixed in time, is that after activating it with my lifetime license, there is a Renew Now button shown in the top right of the window. Also, the text displayed when a scan has completed and nothing has been detected, sounds a bit childish in my opinion. At least it is good to finally see an update to Zemana.

Zemana.png

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Is it supposed to run as a 15 day trial if you do not enter a license? I have not purchased or have any previous license to use and unless updates are launched in less than 15 days I'll have problems testing it. Maybe the next release could include a 30 or 60 days license or a beta only key.

Otherwise no problems until now save for three false positives.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, I tried to look more closely at the files during scanning and it didn't seem to be looking in Downloads which is where my samples were. No wonder they were "missed" then. Do you think the Smart scan (not quick scan, sorry for calling it that earlier) would be better if it were to scan there in addition to SysWow64 and System32?

Edit: Just cuz I was bored, I dragged eicar test file into System32/drivers and Zemana didn't find anything.

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
@Miss Onnellisuus -I looked for my scan report and there is no report of this scan. I reported it via the Feedback link in the Reports UI.

@roger_m - I believe you can submit FPs from the Report screen.

Are others seeing their scans listed in Reports?

Nope. I hope my false positive report actually attached something.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.