JollyGood's Security Configuration

Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Trend Micro Internet Security 10
Periodic malware scanners
Hitman Pro Alert 3.1.8 Build 360 (Premium)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome with maxed out security settings, Https everywhere, ublock origin, Google Data Saver, Google Drive and Office (by google) for editing documents and presentations through Google Chrome and Trend micro security extension.
Maintenance tools
CCleaner and Private Internet Access (VPN)

JollyGood

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Furthermore, I have enabled trend micro's security settings maxed out with parental control settings set to block unknown websites and ads. So, what do you guys think? Does it seem like overkill? Personally, i never torrent anything and, only occasionally watch movies and TV shows online; however i like purchasing what i can off of Google play movies and TV for the most part; but, not everything can be bought so, there are always those odd times when i am forced to stream all of my show's off of shady chinese website's. Also, i wasn't sure about what to put under data backup since i save all my documents/pictures/music to a 1TB one drive folder that syncs every few hours so, i just stated that i perform daily backups since all of my files are constantly in the cloud (extremely sensitive files on the other hand are stored on a separate desktop in a Bitdefender vault). Furthermore, i travel quite a bit and was wondering, is windows firewall with trend micro firewall booster enough? To me personally, this is quite a thorny issue because for some reason i have this misconception that windows firewall is utter garbage. Is it true? Or should i switch to a third party firewall? I would really like to see what you guys think of my security config and, would greatly appreciate some help regarding the above mentioned issues.Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: shukla44 and Noxx

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Looks pretty good maybe add another On Demand Scanner like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Zemana Anti-Malware. Malwarebytes' Anti Exploit Free is pretty good too.

Reactions: JollyGood

JollyGood

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Looks pretty good maybe add another On Demand Scanner like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Zemana Anti-Malware. Malwarebytes' Anti Exploit Free is pretty good too.
I did try adding zemana anti-malware premium; however, for some bizarre reason it keeps detecting a file under DRIVERS in the system 32 folder. That i am pretty sure is a false positive; however, the fact that it keeps trying to remove it really bugs me. I'll look into malwarebytes though, haven't used it in a while.

Some interesting admissions there, lol. Anyways, good config and thanks for sharing.
Well, i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who occasionally pirates shows :p . I'm just very paranoid about privacy and security. Just thought if i be completely honest about my browsing habits it should help me get a more accurate assessment of my configuration. But yeah, thanks for your input :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Furthermore, i travel quite a bit and was wondering, is windows firewall with trend micro firewall booster enough? To me personally, this is quite a thorny issue because for some reason i have this misconception that windows firewall is utter garbage. Is it true? Or should i switch to a third party firewall? I would really like to see what you guys think of my security config and, would greatly appreciate some help regarding the above mentioned issues.Thanks.

Your misconception comes from WinXP , it was indeed garbage, but sine Win7 , it is now another story.
Windows Firewall on Win10 is quite solid , with Trend's enhancement , it is more than enough.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good configuration and your setup is not overkill, because Trend Micro is doing its job as those features are available on that version.

Everything is online so the operation of TM depends on the internet connectivity, although its behavior protection is indeed good too.

Reactions: JollyGood

JollyGood

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Hello, it is a good security config, all the main layers are covered. Just follow suggestions above, and maybe add also Wise Care 365 Free to optimize your PC. Wise Care 365 - Stabilize, Secure and Speed Up Your Windows PC with One Click!

Maybe add also a defrag solution, such as Auslogics Disk Defrag: I've just installed Disk Defrag Free, a great tool to make your PC run fast and smooth

Thanks for sharing your config with us :)
Thanks for your suggestion. Heard a lot about Wise Care 365 seems like quite a solid system optimization utility. I'll be sure to give it a shot. As for auslogics, i used to use it on my laptop; however, since getting an SSD i haven't had use for a disk defragmentation tool on this machine. It is however the main disk defragmentation tool on my desktop. Been using it for the past 5 years on that machine :)

Reactions: shukla44

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.