Josinpaul's Config

Last updated
Dec 31, 1969
Windows Edition
Home
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Comodo Internet Security in pro active mode, Shadow defender, Voodooshield, KeySrambler premium, Adguard, open dns in router level and Zemana antilogger.
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
herdprotect, Zemana antilogger, malwarebytes anti malware, emsi soft EEK
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Slimjet 64bit with trafficlight, https everywhere,lastpass, Mcafee webadvisor and vanilla cookie controller
Maintenance tools
wisecare 365
File and Photo backup
custom
System recovery
native windows

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I was dual booting ubuntu 15.10 with windows 7 home ( windows was there for gaming only). Then one fine morning windows said " windows 10 upgrade available". Then I thought ...Okay will try that out. Now I am dual booting windows 10 home with Ubuntu 15.10. Before upgrading I was forced to uninstall all security softs so while reinstalling those i thought I should experiment something other than comodo this time. So I ended up with the Chinese dragon aka the 360 total. I sincerely do not know how will it perform. fingers crossed

Edit: removed 360.....Back to CIS

Edit 2: I want to see whether I can get a malware infection by not using any real time protection softs. All my data is in Linux partition. All the critical transaction are done only in Linux machine. No passwords are stored in any browser.

Edit3: nothing happened during the tests...so back to basics.

Edit4: added Adguard

Edit5: edited as per new guide lines

Edit6: removed Mcshield and MBAE, Added Zemana Anti logger. updated to windows 1607 build

Last edited:
L

LabZero

Good security config.

JV 16 Powertools is reliable and use a good registry scanning engine that derives from the old Reg Supreme.
Like all optimization apps it should be used considering the changes backup always active.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
i have lastpass..forgot to mention that in the original post

Maybe consider a backup solution such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper both have a good free and reliable version. ;)

Thanks for sharing. :)
Had macrium in the past. Now There is not much data in windows partitions except windows itself that warrants backup. Thanks for the advice.

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

Reactions: Rishi and Brahman

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
All layers are well covered, terrific configuration :)

For Qihoo 360, its contains a highly respectable program despite of numerous allegations. ;)

Reactions: Brahman

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Removed Quihoo 360 (Reason for removal- conflicts with malware bytes anti exploit). Added Back Trust old CIS in pro Active mode. Added MBAM premium and malware bytes anti exploit premium.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
You can also add some more on demand scanners like : HerdProtect,Zemana antimalware,Hitman or Opswat gears

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
You can also add some more on demand scanners like : HerdProtect,Zemana antimalware,Hitman or Opswat gears
added Herdprotect.thanks for naming this.
Good config @josinpaul .
Only a thing: add a second browser, for the rest is a solid configuration and it's all well covered! Thanks for sharing your configuration with us ;)

i was using Epic for some time. Then left it. The sync feature of chrome is really tempting for me to stay with it.

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
every real time sec removed... I want to see whether I can get a malware infection by not using any real time protection softs. All my data is in Linux partition. All the critical transaction are done only in Linux machine. No passwords are stored in any browser.

Reactions: Logethica

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
every real time sec removed... I want to see whether I can get a malware infection by not using any real time protection softs. All my data is in Linux partition. All the critical transaction are done only in Linux machine. No passwords are stored in any browser.

You start off with 100% infection. As you add/revise your protection gradually the infection rate will reduce gradually, but it will never reach 0%.
That's my theory at least.

Hence in your case, definitely you will get an infection. Question is when (time-frame based)? :)

Reactions: Brahman

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@josinpaul: Well definitely you are open on any risks, usually if you are inserting too much thumbdrive from other people that may contain autorun attacks then lately the system may infected immediately.

When browsing hence it should be depend cause today's landscape where search engines are been improved to filter out those malicious websites compare before however chances are of drive by downloads may occur as websites are prone on vulnerabilities.

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
As i mentioned in the title its a test scenario where I want to know whether I can get infected by just browsing the net. During this period
1. I am not using any 3rd party USb drives.( Even otherwise am not using any 3rd party drives)
2. No software installations.
3. No add-on installations.
The test will run for 30 days. The objective is to ascertain the risk level am facing by my browsing pattern. Based on the outcome I May reduce/increase the security software signature in my windows system.

So all ideas/ suggestions about the experiment are welcome.

( I have kept a system image and that will be restored once the exp is over)

Reactions: Logethica

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
As i mentioned in the title its a test scenario where I want to know whether I can get infected by just browsing the net. During this period
1. I am not using any 3rd party USb drives.( Even otherwise am not using any 3rd party drives)
2. No software installations.
3. No add-on installations.
The test will run for 30 days. The objective is to ascertain the risk level am facing by my browsing pattern. Based on the outcome I May reduce/increase the security software signature in my windows system.

So all ideas/ suggestions about the experiment are welcome.

( I have kept a system image and that will be restored once the exp is over)

Browsing the net as in surfing to certain website that you were familiar with or you're just running in random (which is pretty much impossible, unless there's a program what brings up random site without filters :p)

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
nothing happened during the tests...so I decided to stop experimenting for a while and have a solid config until comodo brings their new IS. added the following
1. Comodo Is
2.voodooshield
3.zemana anti malware
4.admuncher
5.malwarebytes anti exploit premium
6.shadow defender
7. key scrambler.
8. herdprotect, emsisoft emergency kit, malwarebytes as on demand scanners.
9. open Dns family shield

Last edited:

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
nice
nothing happened during the tests...so I decided to stop experimenting for a while and have a solid config until comodo brings their new IS. added the following
1. Comodo Is
2.voodooschield
3.zemana anti malware
4.admuncher
5.malwarebytes anti exploit premium
6.shadow defender
7. key scrambler.
8. herdprotect, emsisoft emergency kit, malwarebytes as on demand scanners.
Nice config update: Small question how does admuncher compare to adguard? Jw if it performs in the same way and how well it does?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.