Transhumana

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I have just stumbled upon this on Malwarebytes website:

Junkware Removal Tool to be discontinued
Malwarebytes has chosen to discontinue Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by announcing the end of maintenance as of October 26, 2017.

While this is not an easy decision to make, we have determined that focusing on the continued evolution of our other award-winning security products is in the best interests of both Malwarebytes and our customers.

Note: This has no effect on subscriptions or licenses for any other Malwarebytes product.

What this means to you
Malwarebytes will continue to provide service and support for JRT until End of Life (EOL) on April 26, 2018.

If you are using JRT, we recommend switching to Malwarebytes AdwCleaner version 7 or higher. It’s free and incorporates all major JRT functionalities.

I am a bit sad to see it go as I liked that tool

P

plat1098

Ooooo, a blast from the past. I used to use it off and on but it had the knack of deleting everything it detected, including games logs that forced me to start all over again. Seeing as its features are either redundant or incorporated into AdwCleaner: au revoir. Thanks for notifying. (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

We use this almost daily at work.

We knew once Malwarebytes bought it that it would probably go away since they can't implement their bloat or advertisements in a tool that launches a command window. I really dislike Malwarebytes and what they've become.

Interestingly, we still install MBAM 1.75 during our malware removal tool sweep. Never bothering with the bloated and buggy v3..

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
JRT technologies and definitions have been rolled in Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner.

Most of you seems to forget that JRT is a simple batch script made into an executable. There's only so much it can do, and there's only so much it can do to evolve. Discontinuing it and putting thisisu (JRT's dev) full time on other Malwarebytes' products is the best decision as now he can do much more, without being limited the tools he's working on.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've never liked JRT, because it automatically removes everything it finds, without showing what it's going to remove first. Personally, with any antimalware tool, I want to be able to see what will be removed, so I can deselect anything I want to keep.

P

plat1098

There were other tools more flexible. :) Out of interest and curiosity, is AdwCleaner and therefore JRT still under consideration to be incorporated into Malwarebytes? This was talked about for over one year but easier said than done, right?

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
There were other tools more flexible. :) Out of interest and curiosity, is AdwCleaner and therefore JRT still under consideration to be incorporated into Malwarebytes? This was talked about for over one year but easier said than done, right?

As stated above, JRT technology and definitions have been rolled in Malwarebytes (and probably AdwCleaner), hence why it has been discontinued. As for AdwCleaner, the technology and definitions are also being rolled in Malwarebytes, but it'll continue to exist as a standalone tool for the time being (and there's no plans of discontinuing it at the moment). Fr33tux and Cocochepeau are still actively working on it (along with the AdwCleaner team).

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
As stated above, JRT technology and definitions have been rolled in Malwarebytes (and probably AdwCleaner), hence why it has been discontinued. As for AdwCleaner, the technology and definitions are also being rolled in Malwarebytes, but it'll continue to exist as a standalone tool for the time being (and there's no plans of discontinuing it at the moment). Fr33tux and Cocochepeau are still actively working on it (along with the AdwCleaner team).
Nothing to be missed then. I did use it once in a while.
Thanks Aura.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.