Just a little out of my league here I think, but hi anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

bogdan said:
My recommendation to use KillSwitch came from this (from the first post):
Tonight, I'm trying to learn more about processes, CPU and stuff like that. I downloaded a utility that is showing me everything active and I was googling them to see what they were and if they were bad. I searched for "ielowutil.exe" and found this site and it seemed like an informative place.

I think that KillSwitch saves a lot of time if you want to see what's running on your computer and if anything running is potentially malicious. Unfortunately KillSwitch comes bundled with Comodo Cleaning Essentials that can produce some false positives but to this point I didn't recommend doing a scan with CCE and deleting what it finds. The only potential "dangerous" feature in KillSwitch is the "Delete" option in the right click menu so don't use it.

Learning by "messing around" is still learning :) but as Chiron mentioned in his guides (that I suggested in a previous post): I recommend that you do not delete any files using this program. A false positive on the wrong file could damage your Windows installation, even if you’re not infected.

Another issue is that if all this learning process is actually needed? In my opinion the answer is "yes". There is no other solution or remedy for all security issues especially on a Windows PC. Now, you can pass this responsibility to a third party like a techie friend or a computer shop and ask for help every time something happens. This is perfectly fine.

To each their own i guess :) From my perspective, most people, not just "novices" have a tendency to get "click" happy upon entering a new program, as they want to learn how to use it, and "what" this does when i click it.. ;) It can become confusing in this forum, when in other threads, we state, that this tool is "NOT" for novice users, and some have even stated it is not even for advance users, but only a select few that truly know how to use it.. It is why I suggested him not trying it, as there are other alternate programs, less complicated and less dangerous with lack of know how.. Such as Process explorer, and maybe Malwarebytes. These two suggestions would be more then enough to "start" learning with, then work your way up into tools such as CCE.

ktb224

Thread author
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the honest advice. I am going to hold off on downloading or deleting anything else and I will continue to work on my config and post it when I get it done. You guys rock!

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Welcome ktb224, you will love it here!
Lots of great people here and plenty of things to read and learn :)

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
ktb224 said:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the honest advice. I am going to hold off on downloading or deleting anything else and I will continue to work on my config and post it when I get it done. You guys rock!

Welcome to the forum!
My advice, do a lot of reading and learn from mistakes.
Do an image of your system.. and lots of backups.
Ask questions if in doubt..

After all we're all noobs at one point. :p

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.