Sep 29, 2012
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GEmX

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Obviously, prices are different where I stay. Any changes you'd recommend? I am building a PC for a friend. Many brands aren't available here otherwise I'd probably use a different case, PSU.

devx

Verified
Feb 27, 2013
brother, the config. is nice but not so balanced precisely, i would like to ask few questions acc. to your config.:

1) What is the budget ?
2) How much your friend can extend the budget ?
2) What is the purpose of machine ? I mean other than gaming.
3) Do you want to build a Casual / Mid / High / Ultra-High rig ?
4) Will you do OverClocking ?

AND +1 for CPU Cooler, RAM, HDD, PSU, KB, other stuffs should be changed, but overall that depends on needs and budget.

NOTE: If you want some really nice suggestions, please visit Technical Forums such as Toms' Hardware, AnandTech Forum, TDF (ThinkDigit Forum), one of the best Tech Forums, Expert and Pro-Gamers are waiting for you.

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
devx said:
brother, the config. is nice but not so balanced precisely, i would like to ask few questions acc. to your config.:

1) What is the budget ?
2) How much your friend can extend the budget ?
2) What is the purpose of machine ? I mean other than gaming.
3) Do you want to build a Casual / Mid / High / Ultra-High rig ?
4) Will you do OverClocking ?

AND +1 for CPU Cooler, RAM, HDD, PSU, KB, other stuffs should be changed, but overall that depends on needs and budget.

NOTE: If you want some really nice suggestions, please visit Technical Forums such as Toms' Hardware, AnandTech Forum, TDF (ThinkDigit Forum), one of the best Tech Forums, Expert and Pro-Gamers are waiting for you.

The original configuration had a FX-6300 but it isn't available over here. We have the FX-6100 instead which is underpowered IMO.

1) The budget is <=$820 (according to PCPartPicker) the prices are higher in my country for whatever reason. .____.

2) Not really.

3) Gaming, Photoshop, watching HD mkv videos, multi-tasking, over 20 tabs on the browser, etc.

4) Umm, I don't know what each term means. I think I'll pick "mid". He'll probably play games like Far Cry 3, Crysis 2, Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, DMC, Dirt 3, etc. on high settings.

5) Not sure if I'll overclock.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I don't want to give the impression of being an intel fan boy but with that money, I would buy an intel cpu with motherboard.

Mobo: ASRock Z75 Pro3 - this motherboard lets non-OC cpu to overclock to 3,7GHz; the UEFI can OC the multiplayer to 37 which is very good. So you can take i5-3540P or the cheapest model of i5.

for PSU I would take Rosewill FORTRESS 750W; very affordable 80 PLUS Platinum 750W.

If he isn't going with ssd then he should take Seagate Momentus XT 750GB

(I will update my post)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Good for a games that you have mentioned. Can't say I've ever really used AMD though, so I can't and don't know much about that.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
How much of Photoshop is he planning to use ? Since Intel is better per clock cycle then AMD....i feel 8 core is much of an overkill, what are your thought's on Core i5-3470 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53470? i think it should fit in the similar price range, as per benchmark it's better then FX. If your friend plans to overclock he can go with the 3470K. Personally the 3470 has a better architecture compared to the FX and it also consumes less power and has a lower TDP. The rest of the system is fine and will play practically all games on High Settings.

JurgNet

Sep 11, 2011
Valentin N said:

Have you noticed the Compatibility Notes

"ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports."

However why not a Z77 Mobo instead of Z75 ?
Example : ASRock Z77 Pro3 or ASRock Z77 Extreme3 would be just fine

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
JurgNet said:
Valentin N said:

Have you noticed the Compatibility Notes

"ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports."

However why not a Z77 Mobo instead of Z75 ?
Example : ASRock Z77 Pro3 or ASRock Z77 Extreme3 would be just fine

Originally I wanted to advice Cooler Master CM Force 500 which has USB 3.0 and has a recommended price 39$. I also missed that BitFenix Merc Alpha didn't have usb 3.0. I will change it a bit.

When it comes to mobo I wanted to save some $ for other parts. I know that the non-OC cpu can be OC with that motherboard.

My list (fits within the budget with very strong components)

If the user finds the CM Force that I suggest the case will cost 39 so he will get down to 800$

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.