K__M Config - Updated 9/25/2011

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
RE: K__M Config: Tips wanted

Hi there!
I have a question, why are you using Avast Internet Security? They're free product is just as good, and the extra features (such as the firewall) included in IS aren't really needed. If you really do need a firewall, you can turn to Comodo as an alternative or another one (such as PC Tools, Online Armor etc.).

K__M

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

endejan said:
Hi there!
I have a question, why are you using Avast Internet Security? They're free product is just as good, and the extra features (such as the firewall) included in IS aren't really needed. If you really do need a firewall, you can turn to Comodo as an alternative or another one (such as PC Tools, Online Armor etc.).

Because i have a license for avast IS, and if the real time shields don't work on that i don't think it will on free version.

D

Deleted member 178

avast still installed? if yes repeat once again every steps i gave you above. try to install the beta version (it is a service release who fix siome issues)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=lcf8j448nuh8bs04tb61m4gj03&topic=80315.0

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011

If your still unable to get the problem solved, try asking once more on Avast! forums or an alternative security board (eg. GeeksToGo, BleepingComputer, MalwareUp, GeekPolice etc.) and you might find a fix to this problem there.

K__M

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

It's not but i will try that version now and see if it works.

And if this does not work i will post one more time for help in avast forums.

D

Deleted member 178

i didnt pay attention, he ran 2 security suit at same time?! i thought he uninstalled avira suit...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Did you try using the Avira RegistryCleaner to remove all entries created by Avira?

Download:
http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-registrycleaner

Did you uninstall Avira before installing Avast?

K__M

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

Yes i uninstalled avira first.

And no i have not ran that, i will try.

Ok i ran the scan and the avira cleaner found: 294 reg keys. I removed them now and i will try installing avast then with a reboot.

Hm, right when it finished the internet went off (before a restart)
So i uninstalled avast and watched it, and i seen right when web shield was removed internet came back on. So it is avast that turns my internet off for some reason...

Looks like i have to go to their support forum? :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Well another way is if you have a Revo Uninstaller you can remove Avira with advance mode to make sure all were remove even the registry files but overall its better from manufacture tool to remove leftovers for Avira.

D

Deleted member 178

yes,

offtopic: james i cant answer to your question since im not in your buddy list ^^ (btw, i dont know because i dont make them, just use them ^^)

K__M

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

I find it strange as when i finish installing avast my internet goes off for no reason.. then once avast is gone my internet works e.e

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Uhm.. did you configure something in Windows Firewall? cause probably may something was active for blocking the connection.

umbrapolaris said:
yes,

offtopic: james i cant answer to your question since im not in your buddy list ^^ (btw, i dont know because i dont make them, just use them ^^)

Oh, its ok, cause that's our assignment, I will try to find that answer :), thank you for your time.

K__M

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

jamescv7 said:
Uhm.. did you configure something in Windows Firewall? cause probably may something was active for blocking the connecction.

Nope, i have not touched a thing, plus the windows firewall is off ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

I know some users of Avast have problems with the Web Shield.

You can visit their Forums here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

I think you need to start from 0 in order to take care of your problem. If
I was you, I would run the Avira registry cleaner again, reboot and
uninstall Avast. Reboot again and run the Avast cleaner to make sure
everything from Avast is gone.
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Your problem seems to me that comes from having remnants from both
suites. So in order to take care of the situation, you need to do a full
cleanup of both applications in order for Avast to reinstall properly.

Good luck
Bo

K__M

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

bo.elam said:
I think you need to start from 0 in order to take care of your problem. If
I was you, I would run the Avira registry cleaner again, reboot and
uninstall Avast. Reboot again and run the Avast cleaner to make sure
everything from Avast is gone.
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Your problem seems to me that comes from having remnants from both
suites. So in order to take care of the situation, you need to do a full
cleanup of both applications in order for Avast to reinstall properly.

Good luck
Bo

Thanks everyone for their trying to help me :)

I apperciate it!

I have already started a thread here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=80539.0

I am working on things right now to fix.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

I've noticed that you have Win7 Ultimate installed on a laptop with 1GB or RAM. Probably not enough. You also have allot of security installed that might further degrade the performance of your laptop. You don't need both Shadow Defender and Rollback Rx (you mentioned it in a post). Instead of spending money on renewing the license for the security software I would upgrade to at least 2GB of RAM (hopefully your laptop model supports it) and use a free antivirus that's light on system resources (avast) and the default windows firewall. If you feel that the virtualization software you have (Shadow Defender) has a negative impact on your system performance, replace it with a [http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm]free disk imaging application[/url] and manually backup your Windows partition every week.

As for your avast IS problem, it seems that it can't install its firewall driver properly but I will leave that to the avast forum.

K__M

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

I am probably going to get rid of shadow defender. And unfortunately i can go no higher then 1.5GB RAM on this computer. I hope to get a new computer sometime soon tho.

I just got eBoostr and plugged my USB into my laptop and it is making my laptop run much faster, loading programs and loading pages so that gave me a pretty good boost. And it is a 8GB flash drive so it will last for some time.

And also i got my license for free from avast ;)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

Until you get a new computer, try to install as little security as possible to spare those resources and compensate by lowering your security risk. Browse to safe sites, only install software you are absolutely sure it is clean, etc.

K__M

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

Alright, right now i am defragging my system after running a lot of virus removal tools, after that i will be restarting my system then i hope avast will install correctly.

-crosses fingers-

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.