kaddy Security Config

kaddy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 23, 2016
This Is my security config, Comments are welcome, Although the NS W Backup, Is being Used, I usually don't even run an AV beyond MBAM, as I do not go to any sites beyond my usual sites in windows. All other Web browsing is done on a iPhone.
Usual sites being:
Youtube
Facebook (No links are ever clicked)
Twitch
My schools website
Microsoft Dreamspark,
gensokyou radio
nexusmods
Twitter
Tumblr(Some crazy crap on there, Is funny to read)
Here, Lurked til recently
Myanimelist
If not done on my iPhone, will be done in a Virtual Machine.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Good security setup, specially like how you are using native windows tools for backup and junk cleanup. Just one thought, consider having a password manager to manage and encrypt your information other than browsers handling it. Thanks for sharing:)

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Excellent config. Nothing to add, really.

Make sure you keep that system image up to date, or at least make sure it is a backup image of a good known config, so that you can use it to restore your system to that exact state in case of a software malfunction (or malware infection, which is rather unlikely in your case).

Other than that, you're good to go. Thanks for sharing your config with us! :p

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Nice config only thing I'd suggest as an addition is piriform ccleaner pro to add to your config, seems like the only thing you're missing :p
I could be mistaken but Daemon Tools Lite comes with malware. Could be wrong about that with its current build, but last I checked it was malware... Correct me if I'm wrong anyone???

Thanks for the malware!
Daemon Tools Lite now installs trolatunt, malware and trojan • /r/software
BE AWARE DAEMON TOOLS LITE INSTALLS MALWARE / ADWARE!! • /r/pcmasterrace
Spyware in Daemon Tools Lite installer?

Though I can't say myself since I haven't tested it in my VM Malware Testing machine and I heard for the most part it does come back clean by most AV's, but that doesn't mean anything and most in this community will say the same. Virustotal and other services like it are never 100% accurate nor is it good at catching PuPs.

That's right last I read Trolatunt was the malware it installed and that's not including the optional PuPs! Though apparently since then, there have been many more pieces of malicious code added into their builds!

Though If its strictly installed in a VM, then you're all good...

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your configuration with us, kaddy.:) The time spent 'lurking' here on MT has been time well spent for it shines through in your system's thoughtfully chosen set up!:D
Do I understanding correctly that your use of Windows 7 SP 1 is doubled as a host for another Windows system inside of a VM sharing duties with your iPhone which performs most tasks?o_O :cool:

*Edit: Excuse my repeating pneuma1985's suggestion (+1 @pneuma1985!!:):)). My wife (Bless her heart) was waiting patiently for me to get off for dinner.;)

For added privacy and (yes) safe removal of unnecessary accrued files, I could also safely guess you've already heard, seen, and read, about CCleaner: CCleaner - Free Download - Piriform From reading positive posts of both staff and sage members alike, this little app has become as routine a maintenance as keeping adblock subscriptions & security patches up to date!;)
I personally use the free portable version placed on an external flash drive. *Scroll to the bottom of download page, & find it under "Builds".:):)

As you're familiar with "virtualization", why not use Sandboxie with Explorer?o_O
Sandboxie - Download Sandboxie It was originally developed to address vulnerabilities in IE, hence SandboxIE, plus it's free! Here's a post by our very own @Jack whom includes a helpful youtube video: Question - Is an AV required to be safe with Windows 7 ?

Thanks again for sharing, & for reading!:D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

i like the "i surf on my Iphone , if not in a VM" ;)

kaddy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 23, 2016
Nice configuration at all, little practicality where you can use 2015 and 2010 of Visual Studio without the need of 2013 which the difference in terms of features are slightly little.
I have the 2013 Visual studio professional, as a version in between as well; the real difference between vs 2013 and vs 2015 is not having to type console. Every time to call the console. One of the huge differences. Saves typing. 2010 is for Windows 7 compatibility to be complete. Grabbed it ahead of time so when win 7 goes outdated I can compile source code to use with 7 and continue supporting my windows 7 computer offline while interfacing the Internet with Linux. Have games like Touhou, and older games like morrowind and oblivion etc that will not run properly under Windows 10 without extra configuration that I do not have time for. I have Windows 10 and 8.1, I just haven't had the time to install them, because I Am still getting software installed. As I get more updates for Windows, I slipstream them to my own image and Windows ISO.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
@kaddy I'm all in favor of both future-proof concepts and backwards compatibility. Good call on keeping multiple versions of VS installed.

As far as game compatibility is concerned in Windows 10, any game that is known to function in Windows 7 will most probably also function in Windows 8/8.1 or 10.

kaddy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 23, 2016
Update: AV swapped for Kaspersky Total Security. Kaspersky is one of the better AV's, have used it in the past. I feel protection is worth paying for when i use it. I had issues with norton slowing everything down massively, and False flagging Internet Explorer.
Kaspersky upon loading said I may have some sort of malware. I don't go on sketchy sites; and it still happens. Anyone who goes without an av is asking for danger at this point. It may be just needed to restart. MBAM didnt pick up anything, if it is something its a well hidden virus.

kaddy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 23, 2016
>>tfw norton misses Poison Ivy 2.3.2 and catches the site for having PUPs..... Kaspersky picked all of them up; also had samples of Flamer, and didn't pick them up. well it did, but only the exe. i was surprised to see KTS catch the Source code.

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Nice config @kaddy, got all the basic covered

Thanks for the recommendation, now I can go Gensokyou Radio to listen to random touhou music. :cool:

Didn't know there was such a site yet. :D

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

What are your experiences with Norton? I am thinking of purchasing a Norton license as well.

kaddy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 23, 2016
What are your experiences with Norton? I am thinking of purchasing a Norton license as well.
Good, Albeit sometimes has odd instances with False Positives. Particularly if the internet goes wonky with its cloud detections. of course, i believe norton may very well have been right. It detected internet explorer, but i believe i got hit by some 0 day malware. I wiped everything and reinstalled Windows. Upgraded to 8.1, as i had it, and 7 has weird bugs for me when i reload it onto my ssd with my other 2 2tb hard drives plugged in. But norton is good, just be aware it can throw false positives, and finding quarantined files can be somewhat of a hassle. I ended up going back to good old Kaspersky before the end, I buy norton for me and my parents. They trust it, and i use it on my light resource machines. Kaspersky works and Has never truly let me down. Then again norton hasn't either, it just has false positives that are semi destructive when i am doing school stuff for college. particularly with My C# programs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.