New Update Kagi - A Premium Search Engine, No Ads

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No ads, fast and personalised results. The search engine you deserve.

I’ve become a total convert to the Kagi search engine. I wrote a big story about Neeva and search a few months ago, and a bunch of people were like, “Try Kagi! It’s awesome!” It is, in fact, awesome. Here’s what I like about it:
  • It’s customizable. Kagi looks a lot like Google and generally feels very similar to use. But unlike Google, Kagi lets you block sites you don’t like and promote sites you do like. You can also create “lenses” to only search certain sites or domains — Kagi has a bunch built in, too, like a “Small Web” lens that favors blogs, forums, and other parts of the web that tend to get blotted out by the giants.
  • No ads. The catch with Kagi is you have to pay for it. You get a few searches a month for free, but $10 buys you unlimited access. That’s a lot of money for a search engine! But the pages are so much cleaner and less confusing that I was surprised how quickly I paid up.
  • It’s great for videos and podcasts. Podcast search is, like, impossible. But I’ve had surprisingly good luck Kagi-ing topics I’m interested in and finding related podcast episodes, and the engine does a similarly good job of scouring YouTube for interesting stuff.
  • Its AI is handy but not in the way. For a lot of queries, Kagi puts a little “Quick Answer” button at the top — click it, and you get a brief AI-generated answer, with cited sources you can click on. That’s exactly the amount of AI I’m looking for in most of my searches.
  • The mobile browser is great. Kagi’s mobile app is a browser called Orion, and it’s as no-frills a mobile browser as you’ll find. But that’s cool by me! It’s fast and easy to use. You can also supposedly download Kagi as a Safari extension on iOS, but I haven’t managed to make that work. (On Android, you can just switch to Kagi as your default search engine because Android is much better at this.)
  • It seems… good? I’ve tried basically all the search engines, and I usually end up back on Google because Google has better results. (Or at least the results I’m expecting and looking for.) With Kagi, I’ve found myself going back to Google less than usual. I don’t know if that’ll hold up forever, but I’m impressed so far.
Ten bucks for search, when Google exists and is great and is free, is a tough ask. But Kagi CEO Vladimir Prelovac tells me the company’s doing well and growing quickly and says he knows he’s not going to reach Google scale with Kagi but also says he doesn’t need to. “I have all the respect for Google and their people and technology,” he says, “I just don’t like their business model.”
Read more via The best Google alternative I’ve tried yet

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

Read more via The best Google alternative I’ve tried yet
interesting, I went to kagi page, it has an example search: "best headphones," so I searched it and looked at results, then I did same search on DDG, and there are no overlapping / duplicate results, at least in the first several on the list, which I find surprising. Wondering which search engine has the most "authoritative" results, or if that even means anything... :unsure:

Reactions: vtqhtr413

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Thanks, that seems nice and local results can be turned off unlike in Bing, not a single local result. 😲

capture_12302023_171518.jpg

raw.gif

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Blog Update: Jan 16, 2024 - Quick Peek, Enhanced Local Business search, Usenet lens, GPT4-vision in Assistant, and Outage Post-Mortem - Kagi Feedback
  • Quick Peek
  • Local Business search
  • Usenet lens
  • GPT4-vision (for Assistant)
  • and more fixes

Kagi Outage Update: Kagi.com is unstable for all regions | Kagi Status
We then took steps to identify the bad actors, where we found accounts created within 24hrs and over 60,000 searches performed in short time period from a single user facing account. While we do offer unlimited searches to our users, such volume was a clear abuse of our platform, against our terms of use. As such, we removed searching capability from the offending accounts.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
signed up for free kagi account, although I have never felt uninformed by searching with DDG, maybe I don't know what I've been missing... :unsure:

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
signed up for free kagi account, although I have never felt uninformed by searching with DDG, maybe I don't know what I've been missing... :unsure:
Only a free Trial with Limitations.

What are the limitations of the Trial plan?
Trial plan has a limit of 100 searches and 10 interactions with Kagi AI tools.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
What benefits does Presearch provide to a user ? All I see in their explanation is that there is some form of payment to all parties. And I don't get how a decentralized search benefits me in terms of more relevant search results .

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I think I shared this before: someone tested search engines by entering controversial topics, or things one knows mainstream media will try to censor, and then see which engine provides the most results or won't do something like rank them, or put the links they want people not to read near the bottom of the results.

Reactions: TairikuOkami

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.