Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Add MalwareBytes Free.

Add HTTPS Everywhere.

Thanks for sharing.
May I ask why?
Not to criticize, but just being curious.
MalwareBytes free is not as good as Zemana AntiMalware or HitmanPro these days.
As more and more sites are moving to HTTPS what is the added benefit of HTTPS Everywhere?

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@karthic1998 Nice configuration!

I'd like to provide you with some more advise with regards to your configuration to make things more secure for you. :)

First off, I'd encourage you to add HTTPS everywhere as this adds another layer of security to your web browser. Link: HTTPS Everywhere

Avast is a great anti-virus solution that I recommend to anyone who doesn't want to spend much money on security software (it is free)! With this being said, I would like to recommend other on-demand scanners. Please consider using Malwarebytes (free) as JM Security has suggested. Here is a link: Malwarebytes for Windows

In addition to this, Emsisoft Emergency Kit (is another great solution that I would recommend that you use. You can use this software once a week, twice month or whenever. All I recommend that you do is use this software to double check how Avast is doing. EEK is free. Norton Power Eraser is another great on-demand scanner that I would highly recommend that you use.

I would highly recommend that you add some backup software to your configuration. As an experienced technician with over ten years under my belt, I can tell you that Windows backups are not a one-stop shop. I have had issues with these backups not working or failing for various reasons. Therefore, I would highly recommend Aomei Backupper (free) and Macrium Reflect (free). I haven't had any issues with either one of these solutions. It is best to have a fail-safe in case one or the other doesn't work. If Windows goofs up you can rely on Aomei Backupper (free) or Macrium Reflect (free) to do its job.

Aomei Backupper (free) link: Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

Macrium Reflect (free) link: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

In my personal experience, Aomei and Macrium tend to backup and restore faster when compared to Windows's native backup and restore. Plus, these solutions offer much more when compared to Windows.

Please make sure CCleaner is up-to-date. There were some security issues with one of the previous versions of the software. You probably heard about
this, but I thought I bring it up to you in case you haven't.

This isn't necessary, but have you thought about using a VPN? A nice VPN that I would recommend is Windscribe. Windscribe often has promotions for 50 GB free per month which is more than enough for any given user.

Thanks for sharing your configuration with us!

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
As more and more sites are moving to HTTPS what is the added benefit of HTTPS Everywhere?
Many web sites offer a support for HTTPS, but sometimes making difficult to use it. For example, some websites use the default communications in clear text through the HTTP protocol, included in the encrypted pages, links referring to the HTTP version of the site.

This extension forces the browser will immediately switch to the use of the HTTPS version, which offers the best protection against "man in the middle" attacks.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Many web sites offer a support for HTTPS, but sometimes making difficult to use it. For example, some websites use the default communications in clear text through the HTTP protocol, included in the encrypted pages, links referring to the HTTP version of the site.

This extension forces the browser will immediately switch to the use of the HTTPS version, which offers the best protection against "man in the middle" attacks.
Thank you for you're explanation. I've added HTTPS Everywhere back to my browser (y)

karthic1998

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 23, 2017
@karthic1998 Nice configuration!

I'd like to provide you with some more advise with regards to your configuration to make things more secure for you. :)

First off, I'd encourage you to add HTTPS everywhere as this adds another layer of security to your web browser. Link: HTTPS Everywhere

Avast is a great anti-virus solution that I recommend to anyone who doesn't want to spend much money on security software (it is free)! With this being said, I would like to recommend other on-demand scanners. Please consider using Malwarebytes (free) as JM Security has suggested. Here is a link: Malwarebytes for Windows

In addition to this, Emsisoft Emergency Kit (is another great solution that I would recommend that you use. You can use this software once a week, twice month or whenever. All I recommend that you do is use this software to double check how Avast is doing. EEK is free. Norton Power Eraser is another great on-demand scanner that I would highly recommend that you use.

I would highly recommend that you add some backup software to your configuration. As an experienced technician with over ten years under my belt, I can tell you that Windows backups are not a one-stop shop. I have had issues with these backups not working or failing for various reasons. Therefore, I would highly recommend Aomei Backupper (free) and Macrium Reflect (free). I haven't had any issues with either one of these solutions. It is best to have a fail-safe in case one or the other doesn't work. If Windows goofs up you can rely on Aomei Backupper (free) or Macrium Reflect (free) to do its job.

Aomei Backupper (free) link: Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

Macrium Reflect (free) link: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

In my personal experience, Aomei and Macrium tend to backup and restore faster when compared to Windows's native backup and restore. Plus, these solutions offer much more when compared to Windows.

Please make sure CCleaner is up-to-date. There were some security issues with one of the previous versions of the software. You probably heard about
this, but I thought I bring it up to you in case you haven't.

This isn't necessary, but have you thought about using a VPN? A nice VPN that I would recommend is Windscribe. Windscribe often has promotions for 50 GB free per month which is more than enough for any given user.

Thanks for sharing your configuration with us!
I already use the Windscribe vpn and avast vpn already and opera have inbuilt vpn in it

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Please kindly consider the already mentioned suggestions:

1.- To add Macrium Reflect Free or Amoei Backupper as 3rd party backup solution + Weekly backups schedule.
2.- HTTPS Everywhere for browsers would be interesting also.
3.- Personally, as an on demand scanners I would also add: Norton Power Erase and HitManPro.

I will temporally set as Caution the config, until, at least, point 1 is followed. Please announce/post Your future changes in the thread.

Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:

karthic1998

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 23, 2017
Please kindly consider the already mentioned suggestions:

1.- To add Macrium Reflect Free or Amoei Backupper as 3rd party backup solution + Weekly backups schedule.
2.- HTTPS Everywhere for browsers would be interesting also.
3.- Personally, as an on demand scanners I would also add: Norton Power Erase and HitManPro.

I will temporally set as Caution the config, until, at least, point 1 is followed. Please announce/post Your future changes in the thread.

Thanks for sharing :)
I already have https everywhere in chromium browser with ublock origin

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I already use the Windscribe vpn and avast vpn already and opera have inbuilt vpn in it
I already have https everywhere in chromium browser with ublock origin
Please edit your config to reflect these.
As suggested I would consider a 3rd party system image solution and also consider backing up important data to an external drive.
Have you considered migrating to Windows 10?
You might consider adding an additional on demand scanner(s).
Secure Windows 8.1 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.