Advice Request Kaspersky and PUP detection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
But at least they should warn users about PUPs
I've seen it warn for PUPs and straight up adware before. The examples that the OP provided are not risky/harmful enough to meet Kaspersky's definition of PUP/PUA. All of them ask you to pay more for a premium version of the product, and some of them have checkboxes in the installer for whether or not you want to install a bundled product like Google Chrome or a toolbar.

But in Kaspersky's definition, if it requires the user to consent (e.g. check the checkbox) and doesn't do anything intentionally malicious behind the scenes, they won't call it a PUA.

MalwareBytes and a few others have much stronger definitions of PUA that covers a lot of apps that they consider to be useless. Quite honestly, I think a big reason they do this is to make it seem like their product is doing more for you, because in-the-wild malware is starting to get lower and lower and it's not unusual for an average home user to never run into malware, and wonder why they are paying :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That is why I opened them, but still....not doing anything
then why PUP it unwanted? And there is no way I can afford 300+ dollar adobe pdf as a student
Attempting to justify why you must pirate software no longer works.

A student does not need a $300 Adobe Acrobat software. A smart student would be able to find an alternative software for a lot less, or check if the educational institute provides the software whether it is discounted, or free for the duration of their course.

Adobe offers a subscription plan from $20 per month for Students.
Link: Adobe Creative Cloud for students and teachers | Adobe Creative Cloud

O/T:
Over two threads you have mentioned you use Kaspersky and have considered switching to Norton, and with all things into consideration, a Free Antivirus is more suitable for someone on a limited budget.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Just a friendly reminder that there are plenty of people hiring in cybersecurity/infosec. If you have the skillset to analyze pirated software to understand whether it's safe or not, you can also do it yourself or should be looking at a career in malware analysis :D

There's a reason why a lot of us scrape for pirated software as malware samples. It's inherently a dangerous game.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Attempting to justify why you must pirate software no longer works.

A student does not need a $300 Adobe Acrobat software. A smart student would be able to find an alternative software for a lot less, or check if the educational institute provides the software whether it is discounted, or free for the duration of their course.

Adobe offers a subscription plan from $20 per month for Students.
Link: Adobe Creative Cloud for students and teachers | Adobe Creative Cloud

O/T:
Over two threads you have mentioned you use Kaspersky and have considered switching to Norton, and with all things into consideration, a Free Antivirus is more suitable for someone on a limited budget.
For the anti virus I am able to find license keys for kaspersky, and for norton and some others, I can find extend free trails, which means I got some choices.
I tried, but didn't find any software that can edit a pdf for a price that I can afford, if there are some then they still cost like 100-200 dollars, which is also something that I can't afford at all. If you are able to find one then I will be very grateful.

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
For the anti virus I am able to find license keys for kaspersky, and for norton and some others, I can find extend free trails, which means I got some choices.
I tried, but didn't find any software that can edit a pdf for a price that I can afford, if there are some then they still cost like 100-200 dollars, which is also something that I can't afford at all. If you are able to find one then I will be very grateful.

"I am able to find license keys for kaspersky", I don't think so... and I am a man off many resources. Very difficult just last few days less than a trial.
During many years I pirated Kaspersky (trial reset, etc, you name I have done), now I am a very good costumer, last year i by 3 licenses.

They are a machine blocking licenses, one of the best, they know very well the cracking world, they made their reputation there, they grow letting their software being pirated, now they are a big player they don't need any of these tricks to be known in the industry off security.
The ADOBE.... continue to be one of the most pirated software... maybe and just maybe they let the software be pirated to become a world standard, maybe I am wrong...

1622228311337.png

1622228417126.png

Last edited:

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
"I am able to find license keys for kaspersky", I don't think so... and I am a man off many resources. Very difficult just last few days less than a trial.
During many years I pirated Kaspersky (trial reset, etc, you name I have done), now I am a very good costumer, last year i by 3 licenses.

They are a machine blocking licenses, one of the best, they know very well the cracking world, they made their reputation there, they grow letting their software being pirated, now they are a big player they don't need any of these tricks to be known in the industry off security.
The ADOBE.... continue to be one of the most pirated software... maybe and just maybe they let the software be pirated to become a world standard, maybe I am wrong...

View attachment 258534

View attachment 258535
Yea, kaspersky "license "(just 90day trails)

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
MalwareBytes and a few others have much stronger definitions of PUA that covers a lot of apps that they consider to be useless. Quite honestly, I think a big reason they do this is to make it seem like their product is doing more for you
... and to slam software developers they do not favor. MBAM detection is highly "politicized", and they are too myopic/arrogant to change it. Even AdwCleaner has been corrupted since MB got their hands on this one-time jewel.

Ahmed Uchiha

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 5, 2021
Does Kaspersky offer PUP, PUA and Scareware protection, all I can see here is Adware protection only. did they drop this option also why there is no tweak to this option to detect more Adware and warn about these apps at least and if possible auto delete or take proper action against it.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 261
Reactions: Nevi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.