Advice Request Kaspersky Ant-Virus

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've recently been trying out Kaspersky products, the last few days I've been running Kaspersky Anti-Virus. I really don't use the modules on the other K products & this does seem snappier than KIS for example.
The one thing that concerns me is the lack of a firewall - I'm running Win 10 so the built-in firewall is half decent these days. And I really like the Anti-Virus, anyone else use it? I also run Hitmam.Pro.Alert and the full Adguard. I have Mbam pro & Rouge Killer as second opinion scanners. Any opinions?

D

Deleted member 65228

You're fine in my opinion.

Windows Firewall is a lot better than it used to be now, and combined with Kaspersky Anti-Virus it should be sufficient for an average home user. You also have HitmanPro.Alert which is good with preventing exploitation and has an anti-ransomware component (not to mention the other additions for preventing browser patching which a lot of banking malware tends to do), a good and reputable ad-blocker which can help fight malvertising and on top of this you have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for on-demand scanning.

You can set Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to automatically perform a scheduled scan if there's a time which is usually appropriate for you.

If you haven't done so already, I'd set User Account Control (UAC) to Maximum and since you're on Windows 10, enable system-wide SmartScreen if you've disabled it. This will be beneficial as well as long as these features are used correctly.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I always considered Kaspersky to be good due to the Dynamic modules (application control and system watcher), KAV has none of that.
Kaspersky signatures are still one of the best and the KSN cloud is a plus, but I personally wouldn't run KAV by itself alone.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I always considered Kaspersky to be good due to the Dynamic modules (application control and system watcher), KAV has none of that.
Kaspersky signatures are still one of the best and the KSN cloud is a plus, but I personally wouldn't run KAV by itself alone.
I think he means paid KAV, which has system watcher but doesn't have the firewall and app control
I think he's fine with it unless he means Kaspersky free which has nothing

I've recently been trying out Kaspersky products, the last few days I've been running Kaspersky Anti-Virus. I really don't use the modules on the other K products & this does seem snappier than KIS for example.
The one thing that concerns me is the lack of a firewall - I'm running Win 10 so the built-in firewall is half decent these days. And I really like the Anti-Virus, anyone else use it? I also run Hitmam.Pro.Alert and the full Adguard. I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware pro & Rouge Killer as second opinion scanners. Any opinions?
in this case, I can recommend you to use Kaspersky + Windows Firewall + NVT Syshardener portable
with syshardener: you can apply the default settings and apply all the options listed in Windows firewall (outbound)

syshardener will patch most of the limitations of Windows firewall and strengthen your PC

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I think he means paid KAV, which has system watcher but doesn't have the firewall and app control
I think he's fine with it unless he means Kaspersky free which has nothing

in this case, I can recommend you to use Kaspersky + Windows Firewall + NVT Syshardener portable
with syshardener: you can apply the default settings and apply all the options listed in Windows firewall (outbound)

syshardener will patch most of the limitations of Windows firewall and strengthen your PC
Right, I thought this is about KAF, still, Application Control missing is a big thing imo.

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Right, I thought this is about KAF, still, Application Control missing is a big thing imo.

Using KAV Paid for - Thanks for the replies & sorry for late reply not been well someone give me some sort of virus. I forgot to mention I'm also running WAR which I don't have a great deal of faith in though. Probably going to try NVT Syshardener tomorrow. One thing I do use frequently is Macrium Reflect & all data backed up onto separate external drives. Anyway thanks & I must say this is a good forum, with good tempered members. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.