Advice Request Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool home

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

boombastik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2018
Hallo community,
I tried the kaspersky anti-ransomware tool and i found it very good.
It seems to have the kaspersky cloud in it so it blocks malware samples and it is compatible with other antivirus like Microsoft windows defender.
I tested it a litle and i found zero pefromance impact and i couldnt bypass it with few malware samples.
-https://www.kaspersky.com/anti-ransomware-tool

Has anyone tried it?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
We should mention that KART blocks only malware files known to KSN, but it's unable to remove blocked malware!

k#1.pngk#2.pngk#3.pngk#4.png
k#5.pngk#6.pngk#7.pngk#8.png

boombastik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2018
So it is a good option for a clear machine as the cloud is very strong. Blocked malware=disabled so you can simply delete them manually.
It has also exploit protection and the known malware detection is only for malware and adware samples because for ransomware it has also behaviour blocking so it can detect unknown ransom samples.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I think it is not worth it at all, just install Kaspersky Security Cloud Free and be done with it.

I know that someone may use it with other security solutions but why add more potential conflicts and and inefficiency?

Ps: Considering that it is a Kaspersky standalone module it should be very powerful, but it doesnt mean that you should use it.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Hallo community,
I tried the kaspersky anti-ransomware tool and i found it very good.
It seems to have the kaspersky cloud in it so it blocks malware samples and it is compatible with other antivirus like Microsoft windows defender.
I tested it a litle and i found zero pefromance impact and i couldnt bypass it with few malware samples.
-https://www.kaspersky.com/anti-ransomware-tool

Has anyone tried it?
I think it's no longer supported
Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool 4.0

But it looks like they moved to V.5.0

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
There is a new version 5 (check @silversurfer pictures) You'll get it running installer of version 4 :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Does it make sense to use it if you're already using Kaspersky Cloud free?
KART is a weaker version of Kaspersky antivirus products (free, KAV, KIS, KTS). You are fully covered with the suite
there are many ransomwares that KART's behavioral blocker can't detect but Kaspersky free's BB can

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
KART is a weaker version of Kaspersky antivirus products (free, KAV, KIS, KTS). You are fully covered with the suite
there are many ransomwares that KART's behavioral blocker can't detect but Kaspersky free's BB can
Ok, I was confused because it says on the Ransomware tool's page that it blocks access to folders (same as windows defender?), Kaspersky Security Cloud exactly doesn't do that. Maybe I misunderstood, it's not the same as windows defender that blocks everything.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Does that mean Windows Defender's ransomware protection is better than the one in Kaspersky Cloud Free? Or not exactly?

Reactions: Protomartyr

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Does that mean Windows Defender's ransomware protection is better than the one in Kaspersky Cloud Free? Or not exactly?
Windows Defender Ransomware protection is Controlled Folder Access (CFA) that is different solution to Kaspersky Free (KSCF).

You can only creating similar for Kaspersky paid (KIS/KTS/KSC) via Application Control, as already said by @harlan4096

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Windows Defender Ransomware protection is Controlled Folder Access (CFA) that is different solution to Kaspersky Free (KSCF).

You can only creating similar for Kaspersky paid (KIS/KTS/KSC) via Application Control, as already said by @harlan4096
It's different, got it. So which one is better? :p

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.