Advice Request Kaspersky - Buying advice - Does the Edition (year) matter if I then upgrade it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
I buy my yearly Kaspersky new keys from Amazon UK and was wondering if it really matters from which year you buy it from.

What I mean is I always buy Kaspersky Internet Security, but does it matter if it's 2017 or 2015?
I just need the key as I always download the most recent version from their website.

Thanks!

Reactions: PCGamer and SHvFl

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hi @RTQMARK, of course the program version is important. On every new version, huge patches are implemented, new additions and protection layers are added, and more features are released. Kaspersky every year releases a new product version because it basically that: a new product. If every year the product was the same, they wouldn't release a whole new product.

Addition: if you buy a 2015 version key, i don't really think it will be useful when upgrading to lastest version...

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Hi @RTQMARK, of course the program version is important. On every new version, huge patches are implemented, new additions and protection layers are added, and more features are released. Kaspersky every year releases a new product version because it basically that: a new product. If every year the product was the same, they wouldn't release a whole new product.
Yes you are right, but as I mentioned on the first post I always get the new version from their website anyway so I'm always up to date.
The question is does it matter if I get a license key for Kaspersky Internet security 2015 or Kaspersky Internet security 2017? I won't use the cd that comes with it, just the key and the keys from 2015 are much cheaper but they should still active the 2017 product, right?

Reactions: PCGamer

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Kaspersky keys in theory follow the rule -1/+3:

If You buy a 2016 key, then You can use it with 2015 and with 2017,2018 & 2019 versions...

Also check: How to migrate between different Kaspersky Lab products

Thanks that's what I was looking for. A cd with a key for 2016 is cheaper than one for 2017 so it should be OK.

NOTE: sorry for the double post, but I only saw this reply after answering the previous one :(

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone know why a 1 year license for 3 PC's of KIS is around 17£ on Amazon UK, but around 60€ on their official online store???

I know there's a difference between the £ and the € Forex, but the price difference is just ridiculous.

Reactions: PCGamer
W

Wave

If every year the product was the same, they wouldn't release a whole new product.
Plus, if every year the product was the same, it'd become obsolete and ineffective due to evolving malware.

W

Wave

Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone know why a 1 year license for 3 PC's of KIS is around 17£ on Amazon UK, but around 60€ on their official online store???

I know there's a difference between the £ and the € Forex, but the price difference is just ridiculous.
Can you post the link so I can see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.