Advice Request Kaspersky Firewall - block internet access for specific apps when on a public network?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didie Farhan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 3, 2015
I want to know is there anyway to block internet access from software when using public network. I want to block internet access for certain software when connecting to public network but allow when connected to local network.
Thank you.

v.maroz

Level 1
Aug 20, 2017
Yes, there is such an opportunity.

settings - protection - firewall - configure application rules - right click on the group application - details & rules - network rules - publik network - action "Deny"

Didie Farhan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 3, 2015
Thank you for your reply.
But when I do that, kaspersky will block the software from accessing the internet even within the local network.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1/ Settings -> Protection -> Firewall -> Networks -> change "Network type" of your home/local network to Trusted or Local network. Trusted has no restriction while Local has some small restrictions. Leave "Public network" as what they are -> close the window
1.png
2/ Go back to Firewall -> Configure application rules -> double click on which programs you want to block -> Network rules -> select "Deny" on Public network, with an X
Untitled.png
3/ you may want to select "Log events" if you want to know if the program is blocked when you have a problem with connection
- Main UI -> More tools -> Report -> Detail reports -> select "Firewall" events -> you will see what is blocked if you choose "log event"

Didie Farhan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 3, 2015
Thank you for your reply. But when I do that it will block the app from accessing the internet even connected from local network.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 804
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    1.8 MB · Views: 686
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    208.5 KB · Views: 775

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thank you for your reply. But when I do that it will block the app from accessing the internet even connected from local network.
did you block the same for "Explorer.exe"? if you do. You should enable this for your browser
2.png

after changing any rule in KIS, you should close the program and restart it so the new rule can be applied

Reactions: harlan4096

Didie Farhan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 3, 2015
No i did not block explorer.exe. I only block google chrome. I did restart google chrome and check do not inherit option but the result still same.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
No i did not block explorer.exe. I only block google chrome.
have you fixed your problem after checking "do not inherit..."? if you can't, check "Log events" -> close chrome -> open it -> show us the Firewall log

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Here the screenshot of firewall log
go to the app settings -> change the options of Trusted and local networks to "Allow" = the second option (not inherit)

if that doesn't work, change your network type into Trusted
if all don't work, I don't know what happens because I have no access to your PC. Take screenshots of all tabs of chrome in KIS's settings and consider resetting the whole firewall settings

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Under Windows Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center... is your LAN connection designated as "Private"? Or "Public"?

Didie Farhan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 3, 2015
go to the app settings -> change the options of Trusted and local networks to "Allow" = the second option (not inherit)

if that doesn't work, change your network type into Trusted
if all don't work, I don't know what happens because I have no access to your PC. Take screenshots of all tabs of chrome in KIS's settings and consider resetting the whole firewall settings
The result still same.
Here screenshots and firewall logs

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    391.3 KB · Views: 703
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    392.5 KB · Views: 703
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    398.3 KB · Views: 613
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    391.8 KB · Views: 619
  • Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    383.3 KB · Views: 618
  • Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    389.6 KB · Views: 862
  • fi.txt
    136.3 KB · Views: 587

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I'm getting the same results (KTS2018f) but with wired EtherNet conenction, and just some crazy thoughts came to my mind :eek:o_O:ROFLMAO::

I think the problem here is that InterNet connection is Public (and always will be) in Kaspersky settings, so if You block it You'll never connect to InterNet whether you are on a trusted network or local network... in Your local network You don't have InterNet access unless You get it from outside (Public)...

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I'm still not sure if it's a bug... that settings probably are ok for public VPN connections or Public Wi-Fi connections, but not for a trusted/local connection which gets InterNet connection from outside... just a thought... anyway I'll expose this situation in Kaspersky forum and see how other Kaspersky users will say :)

Didie Farhan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 3, 2015
I just received an answer from kaspersky support
We've just received a reply from our Escalation Team with the following information.

1) We believe there's been a confusion in understanding the terms and working methodology of the application and its blocking mechanism.

- Home / Local network is referred to as the home environment that is : a router and connected devices on that particular router only.

- Internet connection however by default is considered Public.

If the website or the application resource is located on the same network (For example a website hosted on another laptop or your network or files located on another system that are required by the application as long as its within that network cycle would work, the minute you try to find a resource outside on the internet its considered public automatically and you will encounter the issues, that you are currently facing.

Does that mean there is nothing I can do.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
It's just basically what I said in my posts #16 & 18...

Reactions: Berny
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.