Nov 26, 2016
in summary, Kaspersky free has:
- signatures
- KSN

What is missing:
- SYSTEM WATCHER => enough reason not to use this product
- (Application control)

=> no module for zero-day protection. A different avira :D

That's not entirely true. While it lacks System Watcher which is awesome, their file heuristics are pretty damn good still.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Looks like the only difference between Free and AV is the support from them. Hope they come up with an english version too, this looks really good.

P

Polygon

Thread author
KFA update.PNG

is this normal for Kaspersky ?

Automatic updates are on but still KFA says that VirusDefinition was updated in 23 hours ago

W

Wave

Thread author
much better. The only problem with kaspersky is the slow scanning speed. You can try it and tell us your experience. I bet they will play well with each other without any conflict
Honestly with the amount of money Kaspersky have gathered over the last 10 years with their high reputation and being quite demanding on the market, I'd have expected them to be able to hire engineers who can make a much faster scanner, because vendors like Emsisoft have had no problem doing it (with much less staff), so I don't see why Kaspersky aren't able too either.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
View attachment 134948
is this normal for Kaspersky ?

Automatic updates are on but still KFA says that VirusDefinition was updated in 23 hours ago
it's normal for autoupdate. It happens sometimes if we turn off or standby the PC before the scheduled update. You can manually change it to 2 hours. Updating takes a significant amount of system resource so they don't do it frequently

P

Polygon

Thread author
i updated it manually and it worked but when i exit KFA and run KFA again it says that VD updated yesterday

and how i change update frequency setting

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
It is because of people not able to get the English version of Kaspersky Free make them feel Kaspersky free so special and wanted. Actually Kaspersky free another quality anti virus. Bitdefender Free is equally capable as Kaspersky free if not more effective. BDs web filtering is pretty strong.

Yes I do wanna see Kaspersky free a worldwide release to give Avast/AVG a tough competition. Avast these days are arrogant and behaves like "whether you use our free anti virus or not we just don't care deal with it" like approach.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
P

Polygon

Thread author
I just tested KFA in VM and it detected 36/47 of malwares(settings was Maximum)

And when i executed them, well no proactive protection and all went through the KFA.

i scanned with NPE and it found 5 known threats and Hitmanpro detected 3 threats

i don't know can i recommend KFA at all, only if you have like CF with it or VS

i think Panda free or BD would perform better

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I just tested KFA in VM and it detected 36/47 of malwares(settings was Maximum)

And when i executed them, well no proactive protection and all went through the KFA.

i scanned with NPE and it found 5 known threats and Hitmanpro detected 3 threats

i don't know can i recommend KFA at all, only if you have like CF with it or VS

i think Panda free or BD would perform better

would like to see the same 47 samples put against KAV to see if it does any better. Might not be because of the free product but rather the samples just bypassed Kaspersky altogether

P

Polygon

Thread author
would like to see the same 47 samples put against KAV to see if it does any better. Might not be because of the free product but rather the samples just bypassed Kaspersky altogether
ok,KAV tested and it detected same amount of malwares by scan(Maximum settings also used in file antivirus!)

and leftover files was blocked by PDM and system wacther

after advanced virus disinfect and system repair all was Ok and system was clean

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.