Kaspersky free antivirus uses remote connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

budda

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
Installled kaspersky free antivirus and i have comodo secure shopping. When i open comodo secure shopping it displays that there is a remote connection that can watch my pc so i turned of kaspersky free antivirus and now it works fine without any notifications. But if i enable kaspersky free antivirus and open secure shopping it again displays that there is a remote connection.

your ssl connection can be sniffed by unauthorized people. Do you want to bypass it with TOR?

Also it also shows "the certificate issuer kaspersky antivirus personal root certificate is not an accredited authority

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
It runs your encrypted traffic through a client-side TLS proxy to check for any malicious scripts, iframes, etc. Most AVs with HTTPS scanning do it the exact same way.
The certificate might be different to the one used by Kaspersky's paid-for products which may be why Comodo is giving a warning.

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Installled kaspersky free antivirus and i have comodo secure shopping. When i open comodo secure shopping it displays that there is a remote connection that can watch my pc so i turned of kaspersky free antivirus and now it works fine without any notifications. But if i enable kaspersky free antivirus and open secure shopping it again displays that there is a remote connection.

your ssl connection can be sniffed by unauthorized people. Do you want to bypass it with TOR?

Also it also shows "the certificate issuer kaspersky antivirus personal root certificate is not an accredited authority

Kaspersky Free is bundled with VPN app which one can disable. May be Comodo got triggered by it o_O

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
It's just the secure connection scanner doing its work. All antivirus that scan SSL connections do it the same way. If you don't like it, don't use it on any security software.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

hmmm, interesting. i guess the russian pony is just another mole after all.

A little quick to state this claim! I am putting KAF through some intense logging right now, including on-network SIEM evaluation. Rest assured, if anything suspicious shows up it will be fully disclosed here. My guess, it's the 443 RCA in KAF, nothing new there.

Also, no offense but you are worried about KAF have you seen the nonsense from Zemana? Including my disclosure of how their cloud scanning appears to utilize VT through systems distributed in homes through the world and without proper security? In fact, I can show you how to see their IP addresses, system names, screenshots of the desktop and other very personal email. Not to go off tangent, but I like evidence when claims are made.

I'm not wedded to any particular program, but so far KAF seems legit.

KevinGer

May 25, 2017
A little quick to state this claim! I am putting KAF through some intense logging right now, including on-network SIEM evaluation. Rest assured, if anything suspicious shows up it will be fully disclosed here. My guess, it's the 443 RCA in KAF, nothing new there.

Also, no offense but you are worried about KAF have you seen the nonsense from Zemana? Including my disclosure of how their cloud scanning .....

Hi,

"cloud scanning" is a special topic, where the manufacturer has to take care about, to make it secure and not vulnerable for attackers.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Can Actually Help Spies Steal Data, Warn Researchers
Don´t get me wrong. I do not compare Zemana´s behavior with Kaspersky´s.
I only want to point out that "cloud scannning can transfer data from your network to someone (security firm) in the Internet, where the data is maybe no longer protected"

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Hi,

"cloud scanning" is a special topic, where the manufacturer has to take care about, to make it secure and not vulnerable for attackers.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Can Actually Help Spies Steal Data, Warn Researchers
Don´t get me wrong. I do not compare Zemana´s behavior with Kaspersky´s.
I only want to point out that "cloud scannning can transfer data from your network to someone (security firm) in the Internet, where the data is maybe no longer protected"

Agreed. Cloud scanning, logging, telemetry, crash reports, debugging etc. All can be used for intelligence gathering. If that data isn't properly secured in transit and at rest, it can make intel gathering trivial. I believe most companies don't take this seriously enough. I brought this up to DASHLANE because they send a log each time a user clicks a link and does anything, that can't be a good idea. I suspect windows logging and error reporting is an easy avenue for intelligence gathering/spying.

Companies must take that seriously and not neglect logging/crash reporting as not being a threat surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.