Battle Kaspersky free vs Windows Defender

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi i thinking in configure one of my pc whith free programs. I am thinking to use WD or KFA . I think both are good softwares . I am cuestioning me about what of this offer better protection and speed performance. I hope your contributions of objetive compare. Thanks

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Kaspersky wasn't an option to the poll so I selected other. I can't imagine anyone using windows defender... Ever. It is one of if not the worst there is. All WD offers is signature protection, and its signatures are absolutely usless. You are better off guessing whats malicious or not than trusting WD. Any other free alternative is better.
IMO the best free set up is Sophos Home + Comodo Firewall. Comodo is arguably the best free security solution out there. The only area Comodo fails is in signatures, but thats where Sophos comes in. Sophos has some of the best signatures, so this will make up for Comodo's terrible signatures. Comodo is known for its firewall, auto-sandboxing, and HIPS. IMO every free configuration should have Comodo, assuming it doesn't interfere with anything they are doing.

Conclusion: Sophos Homes + Comodo Firewall is the best free configuration you can have. (At least from what I've seen)

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi i am entered WD has now cloud protection. I decide to compare KFA and WD because they does not have BB because i have a alternative who cover this área, Before i think to include Emsisoft but i think tisis a diferent product because it have BB

KFA Signature and Cloud

WD Signature and Cloud

KFA super signatures and super cloud
WD In theory better every day and core sistema security.

Reactions: hamo and Syafiq

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I am cuestioning me about what of this offer better protection and speed performance.
As for protection, WD might stand a chance against KFA, but as for performance, KFA is the obvious choice then.
MS makes software, which works, as for optimization and polishing, that is something, they do not pay much attention to.

WD In theory better every day
Exactly, in theory. WD features might seem cool, but it is something, that other AVs have had for years. WD is always just catching up.
WD has got "Block at First Sight" since CU and it will get an exploit and somewhat anti-ransomware protection since Fall Update.

To maximize WD's protection, you can use this:

Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\MpEngine" /v "MpEnablePus" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\SpyNet" /v "DisableBlockAtFirstSeen" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\SpyNet" /v "SpynetReporting" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\SpyNet" /v "SubmitSamplesConsent" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Hi i am entered WD has now cloud protection. I decide to compare KFA and WD because they does not have BB because i have a alternative who cover this área, Before i think to include Emsisoft but i think tisis a diferent product because it have BB
Kaspersky wasn't an option to the poll so I selected other. I can't imagine anyone using windows defender... Ever. It is one of if not the worst there is. All WD offers is signature protection, and its signatures are absolutely usless. You are better off guessing whats malicious or not than trusting WD. Any other free alternative is better.

Some people should be better informed before they make any statements, i am not a fan of WD but it already has BB for quite some time, read more here :

Windows Defender Antivirus cloud protection service: Advanced real-time defense against never-before-seen malware

I prefer avast or BD free.

Last edited:

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I think Emsi is a great software WAR is very cool. I think WD has BB but it is paid versión. KFA likes me but i dont know how really are superior tan WD because WD recives info from "Microsfot Windows 10 Spyware" and have too much data to be a better protection software. Sometimes for me is bad because uses too much HDD

Reactions: Syafiq

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Kaspersky of all kinds and flavors is prone to conflicts with other software. If that doesn't bother you, then it is a better choice than WD.

If you run other security software, WD is the best option, because it will not conflict, and will allow your other security softs to perform at their best.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
IMO the best free set up is Sophos Home + Comodo Firewall. Comodo is arguably the best free security solution out there. The only area Comodo fails is in signatures, but thats where Sophos comes in. Sophos has some of the best signatures, so this will make up for Comodo's terrible signatures. Comodo is known for its firewall, auto-sandboxing, and HIPS. IMO every free configuration should have Comodo, assuming it doesn't interfere with anything they are doing.

Conclusion: Sophos Homes + Comodo Firewall is the best free configuration you can have. (At least from what I've seen)

WD far from worst. WD in recent times especially after creators update is a pretty good performer and can compete with other free AVs just fine. WD offering only signature protection is also wrong. WD offer behavioral detection, cloud protection, tightly integrated with Win 10 OS offers adequate protection to those who are not careless. One can also enable optional PUP protection in WD through powershell which will help protect the system from fake softwares. Still there are good alternative to WD like Avast, BitDefender which have solid web protection capabilities. Kaspersky Free has one major weakness is its lack of behavioral detection capability which is a must have feature to deal with current day security threat scenario.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
The actual differences between KFA and WD aren't that many, considering KFA does not have any type of behaviour blocker, just like WD. This means that both programs rely only on signaturers+cloud, and even though Kaspersky ones are a bit better, I believe it does not make much difference in a real world scenario.
If we were comparing WD to Bitdefender Free (which has a very good behaviour blocker) then the differences would be a bit bigger.
Anyway, please do not forget to pack a default-deny solution aside your AV (Voodooshield, Comodo Firewall, SecureAPlus, etc).

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
In my personal opinion, Kaspersky Free lacks of the modules that make it a great software, those you only have on the paid suite. So i would stand and fight along Windows Defender on this one, since it is less intrusive with software and browser and gives a decent protection level.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.