Battle Kaspersky free vs Windows Defender

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi i thinking in configure one of my pc whith free programs. I am thinking to use WD or KFA . I think both are good softwares . I am cuestioning me about what of this offer better protection and speed performance. I hope your contributions of objetive compare. Thanks

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Good additions to Defender:
- AdguardDNS servers: Adguard DNS - the free DNS with advanced ad blocking
- Hard_Configurator by @Andy Ful : GitHub - AndyFul/Hard_Configurator: GUI to Manage Software Restriction Policies and harden Windows Home OS

You can support Defender by:
- enabling UAC to the highest level
- activating PUP detections: How to Make Windows Defender Scan for Potentially Unwanted Programs

I recommend highly Defender! Defenender has the best system integration. That keeps you away from bugs!

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Kaspersky Free + VoodooShield
Pro:
Cloud, Protection Phishing, light in system
Cons:
Pup even enabled

WD adjusted + VoodooShield:
Pro:
Cloud, integrated to the system, excellent against Pup
Cons:
Protection Phishing, sometimes uses 100% disk.

I voted Kaspersky.

Relying on an AV to protect against phishing is at least useless.

Reactions: legendcampos

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
If you have safe browsing habits i think WD is enough, considering that you are talking about W10.
If you don't have safe browsing habits then i would suggest some other software like Avast or BD free which also have a good BB.
You could also strengthen your config with other free software like Comodo firewall or VS.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I can't imagine anyone using windows defender... Ever. It is one of if not the worst there is. All WD offers is signature protection, and its signatures are absolutely usless. You are better off guessing whats malicious or not than trusting WD. Any other free alternative is better.
It is always good to update knowledge about something to be criticized. :)
Here is short update about Defender in Windows 10:
Windows Defender Is Becoming the Powerful Antivirus That Windows 10 Needs
Edit.
The difference in malware detection between Defender and top AV is about 1%.

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
KAV Free has a good engine, very good signatures, but it lacks the behavioral analysis... other free AVs such as Avast and Bitdefender for example, have it.
This is the price you pay to have Kaspersky in free version but unfortunately this places it on a lower level compared with the other ones.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I am thinkig about your answers and i think kaspersky free are same as windows defender and i think one haves advantaje over the other in somethings
I think WD are better because are embebed in the system but i think kaspersky signatures and cloud protection are better thank windows defender. I stay watching your arguments and experiences.
I think i need more computers to test all security configs ejejeje.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
I would choose KFA, not because of detection, but because it is probably more light-weight than WD. WD tends to be one of the worst AVs in terms of resource usage. On the other hand, WD has the advantage of being Microsoft built-in software, and therefore, tends to be more stable (that is, less likely to have crashes or compatibiliy issues with your system or other software)

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
WD tends to be one of the worst AVs in terms of resource usage.

I do not think that this is true. See the discussion here:
Did you experience slowdown issues in Windows 10?
From the above poll it follows, that only about 30% users complain about slowdowns from Defender in Windows 10.
In AV-TEST (June 2017, Windows 10) Defender scores 4/5 on Performance test (like Avast, Eset and AVG):
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
See also what some users think about Defender in Windows 10.
It is true that some users think the opposite, so it seems that opinions can vary, depending on hardware/software configuration (that is also true for any other antivirus).
The more appropriate conclusion would be, that Defender is not the lightest antivirus.

Edit.
The percent of users that complained about slowdowns due to Defender was corrected, because of multiple votes allowed in the poll (21% corrected to 12/43 ~ 30%).

Last edited:

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
I selected others. Tried both Karspersky Free AV, WD and few others but I keep going back to Panda Free AV.
Edit: In regard to Karspersky I agree with what @shmu26 said on his post #14

Last edited:

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Out of the two Kaspersky would be my choice as far as for protection it provide... but because I prefer a layered protection WINDOWS DEFENDER w/ PUP Enabled is enough and has no issues when combined with other protection.

It basically comes down to user usage and preference.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Please speak in first person with own experience and why.
example: I tried (was good or bad I had a bad time with that. I don't know how the program works now. I tried and work and didn't work for this reason, i did a comparision) Excellent results by their capablts.end. jua jua

write in this way please, not as if you read a canon of the bible from absolute truth for all to hear.
Rather, look like promoters of advertising in this products, can easily be hired as salesmen..

You are right, pointing out that personal experience should not be presented as a general statement (absolute thruth). People often forget about this.
The thread is 'help me decide' type, so it is recommended "to speak in first person with own experience and why" (as you wrote), but also : put links to the interesting tests and articles or present some statistics from accepted sources.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Edited Poll.
It would help if you posted your operating system such as Windows 7,8.1,10

It seems that @Aktiffiso is not interested in our discussion.:)
In the case of Defender, the information about Windows version is crucial to make the sensible decision.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
It seems that @Aktiffiso is not interested in our discussion.:)
In the case of Defender, the information about Windows version is crucial to make the sensible decision.
Good point, this is the crucial point where the efficiency of an AV: Windows Defender, is in symbiosis with the OS.
Even more the Windows version makes the difference.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Defender evolution from Windows 7 (the last three are for Windows 10 versions):

Human-Evolution.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.