Advice Request Kaspersky + Glasswire. Is it viable?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NOLF92

Thread author
Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 acts as my first line of defense, but I was wondering if anyone has experimented with Glasswire as a second line of defense? I'm not sure if this would be considered a) overkill, b) incompatible, or c) they in fact work well together. I only ask because I really like Glasswire, but it doesn't exactly serve my needs as a standalone. Appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Reactions: omidomi

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
As long as you can disable the Kaspersky firewall I wouldn't expect problems. But I hope you will hear from people who have experience with these.

Reactions: NOLF92
N

NOLF92

Thread author
Both firewalls filter internet activity, but I'm not sure to what extent they might conflict. Thank you for your input.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I am running Privatefirewall and GlassWire with no difficulties if that helps any. I have to allow a good many behaviors for Glasswire's 3 processes. I haven't used the firewall, yet, so I will try and let you know. Mostly I use it for the data and graphs and info...

Edit...OK now I remember why I don't use the GW firewall. It requires you have the Windows firewall enabled, and PF can't run with WF. If Kaspersky doesn't change the firewall away from Windows, maybe the two will work together...

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Kaspersky Internet Security includes its own firewall while Kaspersky Anti-Virus does not.

From October:

Kaspersky Lab Forum > kaspersky enabled windows firewall that I had disabled

Maybe it is possible to turn off the element in KIS, but there is alot of internet protection connected to that apparently that is not available through the Windows firewall.

GlassWire will run as a monitor with the firewall off. This is how I have it configured as it was offered by 360 Total Security (installed a-v) as a "Net Monitor" add on element. It's an excellent source of information with all IPs from each process viewable along with all the information on how much each process has used the net...

Reactions: conceptualclarity

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In the view Glasswire is more a network monitor tool to check the statistics and other information. The firewall component is just an enhancement to improve WF, so likely they can play to each other as its not totally a full blown Firewall alone.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
According to the company that tests firewalls, Kaspersky's firewall is one of the few best. Comodo and Private Firewall also ranked very highly in the last firewall test results I saw.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
This is not current, but I think it's still useful. It's really good to see that the free ones did well, isn't it?
Results and comments - www.matousec.com
Product Product score Level reached Protection level
Recommendation Report Award

Comodo-20x20.gif
Comodo Internet Security Premium 7.0.317799.4142 FREE
97 % 11+ Excellent GET IT NOW!
star.png

Outpost-20x20.gif
Outpost Security Suite Pro 9.1.4643.690.1951 90 % 11 Excellent GET IT NOW!
star.png

Kaspersky-20x20.gif
Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 15.0.0.463 89 % 11 Very good GET IT NOW!
image-2999810-1061137
star.png

SpyShelter-20x20.gif
SpyShelter Firewall 9.2 89 % 11 Very good GET IT NOW!
star.png

Private-20x20.gif
Privatefirewall 7.0.30.3 FREE 88 % 11 Very good N/A
star.png

Outpost-20x20.gif
Outpost Security Suite Free 7.1.1.3431.520.1248 FREE
71 % 11 Good Not recommended
VirusBuster-20x20.gif
VirusBuster Internet Security Suite 4.1 71 % 10 Good Not recommended
Eset-20x20.gif
ESET Smart Security 8.0.304.0 67 % 11 Good Not recommended
Jetico-20x20.gif
Jetico Personal Firewall 2.1.0.13.2471 58 % 10 Poor Not recommended
ZoneAlarm-20x20.gif
ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 2013 11.0.780.000
34 % 6 Very poor Not recommended
ZoneAlarm-20x20.gif
ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall 13.1.211.000 FREE
34 % 6 Very poor Not recommended

See the webpage for many other also-rans

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I have KTS2016MR0d in W8.1 Pro x64 and Windows FireWall is totally disabled and is not managing anything related to Windows FireWall. Its service is completely disabled and even if You try to enable or manage it You will get an error:
image.png

image.png

image.png

Reactions: Online_Sword
N

NOLF92

Thread author
Not sure where the concerns of KIS not having a firewall come from. One of the protection services literally says "firewall". Maybe you're thinking of Kaspersky Anti-Virus?

@jamescv7 - interesting observation. That would account for the fact that Qihoo promotes it as a supplemental firewall.

@AtlBo - Hmmmm. Microsoft Firewall did not activate itself after I had initially installed KIS. However, this may be due to the fact that I've blocked it from being enabled in the first place.

@harlan4096 -- I don't think KIS blocks you from enabling WF, unless that's a more recent development. But again, I can't know because Windows Firewall can't activate due to my settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I'm not saying KIS blocks me from enabling WF, just saying that usually when You install KTS or KIS, during installation, WF service is (or should be) disabled, only 1 FireWall working at thte same time...

Reactions: NOLF92
N

NOLF92

Thread author
I'm not saying KIS blocks me from enabling WF, just saying that usually when You install KTS or KIS, during installation, WF service is (or should be) disabled, only 1 FireWall working at thte same time...

Yeah, that makes sense. My apologies for the confusion.

Reactions: harlan4096
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.