App Review Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 (MAX setting) Prevention and detection Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Thanks for the video.

But at max settings its detection ratio is only 87%? Also, it was hit by ransomware......I thought it's great against ransomware?

I wonder if KIS 2017 needs the Kaspersky Anti-Ransom Tool for Business to better protect against ransomware?

Last edited:

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Thanks for the review :)

Quite disturbing the fact that Kaspersky was not able to block IRansom.
It appears to be a new ransomware variant, but the problem is always the same: cyber criminals are capable of exploiting software bugs/flaws to infiltrate the system.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thank you for another great vid @safe1st, really enjoyed watching, especially the most interesting part - dynamic. I wonder why KIS rollback feature (sorry haven't used KIS for quite some time, so don't mind me not knowing the exact term) did not work on that particular ransomware?

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I think enhanced "anti ransomware" protection coming in the next version.
Indeed,cybercrims are always a step ahead of the software designed to stop them.
pS:thanx for the video!!:)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Would setting Application Control to "untrusted" stop the threat?
ajkvzzdkozppsizfrfzdqwwiesxbanlnnkbxvievvkmgbccltfxjhpofbgzeorenwndydcwkqlxppwepbsndzhojifnfxgffoiqa

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Would setting Application Control to "untrusted" stop the threat?
ajkvzzdkozppsizfrfzdqwwiesxbanlnnkbxvievvkmgbccltfxjhpofbgzeorenwndydcwkqlxppwepbsndzhojifnfxgffoiqa
good tips, but I rather choose Highly restricted because Untrusted will tend to break all restricted apps so we will always have to manually allow them and we may allow bad apps
Highly restricted breaks less and it is safe enough

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Application Control of Kaspersky will be your final resort option, but of course put it in your manual preferences.

It just shows that KSN still lacks compare to Norton as Download Insight accurately detects those unknown ones.
yes KSN is good but not good enough in some cases. I think it only has signatures and rules for known good and bad apps. It doesn't stop recently created files

Norton download insight blocks everything with <100 users if I'm not mistaken -> my nightmare when I was using norton. It blocked all my downloaded portable apps. However, when the files were present in the system not by downloading (bypassed DL insight), system easily got infected because the signatures were poor and SONAR didn't block them. Norton was the only AV which got me infected from two 5-6 year-old viruses, infected from a USB

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
The Untrusted group has to be selected automatically for unknown application : the minimum, I think
I tried to set it to highly restricted. It reduced my productivity a lot :(
Also there are 2 guides in kaspersky website about custom rules for blocking ransomware but these made my laptop really unstable and buggy

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I tried to set it to highly restricted. It reduced my productivity a lot :(
Also there are 2 guides in kaspersky website about custom rules for blocking ransomware but these made my laptop really unstable and buggy
I think allowing unknown applications to be put on the trusted group is a real danger, I prefer the untrusted group.
Why ? Because I first find strange when an application is unknown, and never will let an unknown person enter my house, without an eye on it :)
=> Then, after some searches on VT, etc..., I go in the settings / rules , and set manually the rules (or delete the file).

I tried to set it to highly restricted. It reduced my productivity a lot
If you are sure of the safety of a unknown prog you want to use, give it rules :)

(I personally only run some unknown files I have downloaded, if I know what must be its behavior, and test it under Shadow Defender with tools - paranoid mode :) )

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for your video :)

I think allowing unknown applications to be put on the trusted group is a real danger, I prefer the untrusted group.
Why ? because I first find strange when an application is unknown, and never will let an unknown person enter my house, without an eye on it :)
=> then, after some searches on VT, etc..., I go in the settings / rules , and set manually the rules (or delete the file).

I tried to set it to highly restricted. It reduced my productivity a lot
If you are sure of the safety of a unknown prog you want to use, give it rules :)
I found another solution :D
Use a great light AV (offline protection) with Voodooshield -> high productivity, almost worry-free :D
Kaspersky with high settings are unbearably heavy and annoying for me

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I found another solution :D
Use a great light AV (offline protection) with Voodooshield -> high productivity, almost worry-free :D
Kaspersky with high settings are unbearably heavy and annoying for me
Yes a good solution too :) The most important is "protection" and "happy user" :)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
yes KSN is good but not good enough in some cases. I think it only has signatures and rules for known good and bad apps. It doesn't stop recently created files

Norton download insight blocks everything with <100 users if I'm not mistaken -> my nightmare when I was using norton. It blocked all my downloaded portable apps. However, when the files were present in the system not by downloading (bypassed DL insight), system easily got infected because the signatures were poor and SONAR didn't block them. Norton was the only AV which got me infected from two 5-6 year-old viruses, infected from a USB
Hi

Kaspersky and Norton seems not good enough for you so which suite, in your opinion, is the best? ESET, BD or Emsisoft? Can they beat Kaspersky and Norton?

Thanks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi

Kaspersky and Norton seems not good enough for you so which suite, in your opinion, is the best? ESET, BD or Emsisoft? Can they beat Kaspersky and Norton?

Thanks
for me, KIS is the best. Those 3 are not good enough as I observed them in malwarehub tests
However, KIS may be a bit heavy when I tweak it and if I further tweak it, it may annoy me rather than protecting
I know some settings which can reduce the heaviness of KIS but it's still heavy compared my current setup

I'm using Avast free fully tweaked with hardened mode aggressive + voodooshield pro (tweaked)
avast may be not as good as KIS in some cases but I fulfill the missing thing with voodooshield
now my laptop is blazing fast, task manager and real feel. Battery life is better, ram, HDD i/o, cpu usage are much less compared to KIS alone.
If I use KIS, I should change the rule into highly restricted or untrusted. When I wanna allow something, it takes 15 seconds or more to do so. this bugs me a lot

as MT members, we should find out best COMBOs, not our best AVs :D
another good recommendation is comodo but it's not for everyone. It might be best tool but can be the worst if we don't know how to use it. That's why I don't use comodo

For example, Cruelsister has recommended combo Qihoo+CF.
they are very good
but I don't trust both of them, personally, not protection wise. Blacklisted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.