App Review Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
This is the full review/test of Kaspersky Internet Security 2017. More videos like this are coming soon & a 2017 malware removal guide, ransomware execution videos, talks about security & more are all coming soon!

Thanks for watching & supporting my channel :D

Any feedback is also appreciated since I would like to constantly improve my videos & content, although if you are going to criticise my content then please explain what/why you would like something to be changed.

Last edited by a moderator:

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
You say that HMP doesn't offer the context menu scan option...?
t3OWuAd.png

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Please can you explain instead of simply criticise the video? I spent about 3 hours recording this video & 1 and a half hours editing it....
I know the recording and editing is the most frustrating part of making, but like I said, you need to improve every aspect of the review.

1. Don't cut out the important parts of the video, especially detection ratio calculations, there is 10 phishing links in Notepad and still you showed us a detection ratio 14/20.
  2. There's no point of doing a scan of malicious samples and then scan the same with third party scanners. Test the product against the samples it didn't detect, so scan with third party scanners after doing a proactive test of the product only.
  3. Don't scan samples with different scanners simultaneously, some scanners can lock files during scans and therefore the other scanner cannot show it's full power.
  4. When Kaspersky scans a file that is compiled, "archived" it shows that it scanned for example 5 files for 1 exe. That's the main reason behind Kaspersky showing more files scanned than there actually are in the folder. Not because it detects 1 file and name it by multiple detection names.
  5. You shouldn't delete those image files (pictures) from the malware samples folder, as malware can hide inside a picture also.
  6. You should do the test on completely clean system, virtual machine, without anything being previously installed (like you said in the video, you were testing some program on the same machine (time 9min.55sec.)
  7. You have Spybot Search and Destroy installed although you haven't mention it. Its processes can be seen in Process Explorer and one of the popup messages
  8. In one part of the video you have 13 ransomwares in the folder and in second part you have 23 of them. Show us what did you do...
  9. Try renaming some of the samples to .exe ( the ones without extensions) and try running them. This was particularly obvious in ransomware test
  10. Among other less important things...
Just a heads up, and keep improving

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
I know the recording and editing is the most frustrating part of making, but like I said, you need to improve every aspect of the review.

1. Don't cut out the important parts of the video, especially detection ratio calculations, there is 10 phishing links in Notepad and still you showed us a detection ratio 14/20.
  2. There's no point of doing a scan of malicious samples and then scan the same with third party scanners. Test the product against the samples it didn't detect, so scan with third party scanners after doing a proactive test of the product
  3. Don't scan samples with different scanners simultaneously, some scanners can lock files during scans and therefore the other scanner cannot show it's full power.
  4. When Kaspersky scans a file that is compiled, "archived" it shows that it scanned for example 5 files for 1 exe. That's the main reason behind Kaspersky showing more files scanned than there actually are in the folder. Not because it detects 1 file and name it by multiple detection names.
  5. You shouldn't delete those image files (pictures) from the malware samples folder, as malware can hide inside a picture also.
  6. You should do the test on completely clean system, virtual machine, without anything being previously installed (like you said in the video, you were testing some program on the same machine (time 9min.55sec.)
  7. You have Spybot Search and Destroy installed although you haven't mention it. Its processes can be seen in Process Explorer and one of the popup messages
  8. In one part of the video you have 13 ransomwares in the folder and in second part you have 23 of them. Show us what did you do...
  9. Try renaming some of the samples to .exe ( the ones without extensions) and try running them. This was particularly obvious in ransomware test
Thank you for the constructive criticise but I disagree with a few points made and here's why:

1) I do not calculate the detection rate in the video - I do this after the video whilst editing & I wrote 14/20 because I said "URL test:" as in the total for both Malicous + Phishing URLs. I admit this could be misleading but for some this may be fine - personally preference.
2) The only reason why I scan the samples with third party scanners is because people complain when I do not scan with secondary scanners & most bigger security channels also do...
3) I admit this was my fault to save time because at that point it would have been 1 hour into recording.
4) Yes this is correct & I did try to mention this in the video but clearly didn't phrase it correctly.
5) Once again the reason for deleting these images/other file formats is because I got criticised for NOT deleting them in previous videos.
6) This was a clean system since I used a Snapshot before any malware was loaded on to the system - I should have mentioned this.
7) Yes I do have Spybot S&D but I am no longer using this & therefore will remove it from the VM.
8) There are 13 samples in that folder but the other 13 are ZIP files containing the ransomware samples - I kept them there to show the names of the ransomware samples in the video.
9) I did rename all of the samples to .exe if I remember correctly & ran all of these samples.
10) Less important things such as?

But thanks for taking the time to respond & I admit that I was too hasty to assume that you would not bother to reply, I do apologise...

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I will not answer every question individually but all together. I said what you need to improve if you want to test properly. If you want you can consult with our AV Testers. Sharing improper tests and video reviews on MalwareTips can lead to misinterpretation by some members and that's my responsibility.

But thanks for taking the time to respond & I admit that I was too hasty to assume that you would not bother to reply, I do apologise...
Accepted ;)

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
I will not answer every question individually but all together. I said what you need to improve if you want to test properly. If you want you can consult with our AV Testers. Sharing improper tests and video reviews on MalwareTips can lead to misinterpretation by some members and that's my responsibility.

Accepted ;)
Where should I go to consult with the AV Testers?

W

Wave

Thread author
In all seriousness, thank you for spending your time to make a review for us :) (and don't stop no matter what, keep doing it, you'll get better and better and one day you'll be famous for it) :) and make sure to follow the advice Bora left as it'll help you improve as soon as you follow the advice ;)

Now time for the non-serious part:

2. There's no point of doing a scan of malicious samples and then scan the same with third party scanners. Test the product against the samples it didn't detect, so scan with third party scanners after doing a proactive test of the product only.
lNEg8.gif

Attachments

• lNEg8.gif
    lNEg8.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 349

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
@MalwareBlockerYT

Thanks for the review, and I join with @BoraMurdar's tips to improve your work.
This means constructive criticism from people who have a lot of experience in this context.
It would be nice to follow this guide lines to standardise the work and make it more professional and understandable.

I've worked for a long time in the HUB and I got a bit of experience.
In my opinion, it is essential that you at least indicate the source of the samples that you use in your tests.
Of course I do not pretend that you post a report for each malware but:

to test a security product with old samples doesn't make sense and this doesn't show a real and honest evaluation of the same.
The best thing is to choose manually new and fresh samples, obtaining them from Malwr or Reverse.it or Hybrid Analysis after you have created an account.
Sure, the work becomes challenging, but the quality of the test is absolutely the best.

Finally, you can post in the thread (not in the video) in text format: the source of the samples and the static/dynamic detections by AVs.
This makes it more accessible in our evaluation of the results.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Nice review @MalwareBlockerYT , take note of @BoraMurdar 's recommendations to improve on every video. Keep recording!

Hey @MalwareBlockerYT , can you do a test for Qihoo 360?.
Yep I sure can but you may have to wait a while since I have a list of over 20 videos to record & I can only record 2-4 videos a week at most. I will put it near the front of my list though :)

In all seriousness, thank you for spending your time to make a review for us :) (and don't stop no matter what, keep doing it, you'll get better and better and one day you'll be famous for it) :) and make sure to follow the advice Bora left as it'll help you improve as soon as you follow the advice ;)

Now time for the non-serious part:

lNEg8.gif
Thanks for the support & the brilliant gif!

I think it great! He actually talks instead of playing a video with techno on 2x speed.

Thanks!
No problem ;) I myself also like to listen to someone's voice instead of just music.

@MalwareBlockerYT

Thanks for the review, and I join with @BoraMurdar's tips to improve your work.
This means constructive criticism from people who have a lot of experience in this context.
It would be nice to follow this guide lines to standardise the work and make it more professional and understandable.

I've worked for a long time in the HUB and I got a bit of experience.
In my opinion, it is essential that you at least indicate the source of the samples that you use in your tests.
Of course I do not pretend that you post a report for each malware but:

to test a security product with old samples doesn't make sense and this doesn't show a real and honest evaluation of the same.
The best thing is to choose manually new and fresh samples, obtaining them from Malwr or Reverse.it or Hybrid Analysis after you have created an account.
Sure, the work becomes challenging, but the quality of the test is absolutely the best.

Finally, you can post in the thread (not in the video) in text format: the source of the samples and the static/dynamic detections by AVs.
This makes it more accessible in our evaluation of the results.
Thanks for the tip but I honestly do not know if I will have time to go through such a lengthy process since I'm stretched just recording/editing a video. I use samples from about 4-5 sources (for malicious applications) & I will record a video on where these are from eventually. The samples I use are the newest submitted to these sources & so I believe that they are reliable malware sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.