App Review Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Take it as a constructive criticism. :)

But anyways, I like the comprehensive part of a test.

You can see that Kaspersky has good protection basis, however people who are willing to use must be guide that Application Control is your friendly protection to lock down malicious threats either High Restricted or Untrusted.

Yes for novice user, where some features may not use for daily usage.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Take it as a constructive criticism. :)

But anyways, I like the comprehensive part of a test.

You can see that Kaspersky has good protection basis, however people who are willing to use must be guide that Application Control is your friendly protection to lock down malicious threats either High Restricted or Untrusted.

Yes for novice user, where some features may not use for daily usage.
I'm not taking it as criticism at all really because 8 of his points were false.

Reactions: aragornnnn
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
I know the recording and editing is the most frustrating part of making, but like I said, you need to improve every aspect of the review.

1. Don't cut out the important parts of the video, especially detection ratio calculations, there is 10 phishing links in Notepad and still you showed us a detection ratio 14/20.
  2. There's no point of doing a scan of malicious samples and then scan the same with third party scanners. Test the product against the samples it didn't detect, so scan with third party scanners after doing a proactive test of the product only.
  3. Don't scan samples with different scanners simultaneously, some scanners can lock files during scans and therefore the other scanner cannot show it's full power.
  4. When Kaspersky scans a file that is compiled, "archived" it shows that it scanned for example 5 files for 1 exe. That's the main reason behind Kaspersky showing more files scanned than there actually are in the folder. Not because it detects 1 file and name it by multiple detection names.
  5. You shouldn't delete those image files (pictures) from the malware samples folder, as malware can hide inside a picture also.
  6. You should do the test on completely clean system, virtual machine, without anything being previously installed (like you said in the video, you were testing some program on the same machine (time 9min.55sec.)
  7. You have Spybot Search and Destroy installed although you haven't mention it. Its processes can be seen in Process Explorer and one of the popup messages
  8. In one part of the video you have 13 ransomwares in the folder and in second part you have 23 of them. Show us what did you do...
  9. Try renaming some of the samples to .exe ( the ones without extensions) and try running them. This was particularly obvious in ransomware test
  10. Among other less important things...
Just a heads up, and keep improving

1) You never calculate the detect rate within the video - everyone does this in editing to double check the results are correct.
2) This is rubbish really when you should be comparing the products detect to other scanners.
5) Yes you should always delete the images/other files which aren't .exe since these are clean files.
6) My VM was a clean system then I installed scanners/software needed to create these tests.
7) I don't need to mention that I have Spybot installed when it's clearly on the desktop as a secondary scanner.
8) I had 13 ransomware files & the other 13 were ZIP files - containing the ransomware files!
9) I did rename ALL samples to .exe!

None of these points are constructive since they are all false/rubbish points.

Reactions: aragornnnn

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
None of these points are constructive since they are all false/rubbish points.
Are you a child? First of all respect towards the members of this Forum, you are free to appreciate or not the criticism of your video but without aggressive comments!
No one asked you to post here your videos, but if you do this, you have to wait some opinions.

Just reported your post.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
@MalwareBlockerYT

System was not clean from start of the video as it can be seen on the start of the video. You clearly tested something (downloading something) before you started recording as it can be seen by some unconfirmed downloads on Desktop. Kaspersky GUI notifies that protection is at risk... What is disabled? Also, in one part of the video it's clearly seen that Avira Browser Safety was installed but disabled. So the system was not fresh and clean, furthermore the test is not accurate.
1.jpg

2.PNG

Next, you disabled File-Antivirus and then you conducted an URL test and wondering why Kaspersky allowed some files to be downloaded and saved to the disk. So you tested malicious url detection without the File-Antivirus enabled??? You don't even know what you are doing and therefore another reason that the test is not accurate
3_Ink_LI.jpg

Next, you clearly tested Reimage PC Repair or similar variant malware on the same machine you conducted the test. There's even a removal guide on MalwareTips Blogs for this malware Remove Reimage Repair pop-up ads (Virus Removal Guide). There were a lot of leftovers from that malware present on your test system, you didn't test on clean machine therefore the test is not accurate.

4.jpg

You need second opinion malware scanners in order to test if the system has been infected or active malware running, after you run samples previously undetected by signatures of the tested product. To test behavior, dynamic detection of the product you test. This what you have done in your test simply doesn't make any sense.

There wasn't 13 zip files containing the ransomware samples but 9 or 8 (with one sample left behind and 8 zip archives sitting in the folder). There were 23 files in your ransomware test folder. What did you do here only you know. Some zip archives probably contained more than 1 ransomware. Anyway, 13 + 13 = 26 and you have 23 files in the folder. You cut out some parts of the video so the final viewers cannot see what you have done. We don't know if you manipulated the video as you didn't show us a proof that you didn't and constantly showing us proofs that you did, therefore the test is inaccurate.
5.jpg

7.png

And, for the love of God, you tested ransomware with File-Antivirus OFF ?! Your explanation? All ransomware would be detected by File Antivirus? You couldn't extract those from the archives? If the file is detected either way than final user shouldn't be worried about his security. You think that final user will disable real time protection and check if ransomware can brake through security layers of the product? The test is showing products power but in dangerous way, and surely no way the product is made for.

6.jpg
8.PNG

Yes you should always delete the images/other files which aren't .exe since these are clean files.
I don't even want to comment on statement like this...

Stubbornness will take you nowhere if you want to improve yourself. And if you don't want to improve yourself it will take you anywhere you want.

The thread has been locked as I don't want any further discussion on this. Low quality reviews will not be approved to be posted on MalwareTips in the future and you can continue doing your reviews in your own methods and posting them on YouTube or where ever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.