Battle Kaspersky Internet Security vs ESET Smart Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Koroke San, you forgot that KIS has ZETA-Shield and Automatic Exploit Prevention, both being anti-exploits. These technologies existed before ESET's anti-exploit protection, well, at least the AEP. ZETA-Shield has just been introduced to home users with version 2014, but it has already been integral to Kaspersky's enterprise editions.

I only posted what features listed on their official websites :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Kaspersky appears to have a more solid foundation, but if you're a wise computer user, then ESET Smart Security or Nod32 Antivirus could be sufficient. I've noticed ESET with it's enhanced PUP detection being useful for many people who download web installer software, and or from the malware packs, where other AV miss.

I'm not a fan of security products installing browser extension or toolbars, and I know ESET doesn't do this. ;)

You'll just need to check for compatibility with the upcoming Update 1 to Windows 8.1.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
u all r wrong :D

Protection - ESET owns great url filtering/web protection , strong real time protection , owns good on-demand scanner , good firewall & BB with advanced PUP detection then any AV present in market. Kaspersky owns everything same as ESS but is lack in on-demand scan & detection of PUP. Tested both KIS & ESS in infected PC & both have capabilities to clear infected computer.

Performance : ESS hands down coz it's lighter then KIS & u won't feel any system slow down. i installed KIS in my pc some months ago & i feels slow down. KIS makes computer boot & system startup slow down a bit compare to ESS . KIS scans specially full pc scan takes longer time then ESS.

Memory Usage : ESS cpu usage is low compare to KIS , can't tell ram usage but i think there is not much difference between ESS & KIS in ram usage.

Features : ESS -> Antivirus, Antispyware, Anti-theft, Anti-phishing, Personal firewall, Antispam, Exploit blocker , Parental control, Social media scanner, Game mode, Advanced memory scanner, Vulnerability shield, portable device control & cybersecurity training.

Kis- > Real time protection, Hybrid protection , Intelligent scanning & updates, Anti-phishing, Two-way firewall , Anti-spam, Online banking, rollback & parental control.

Both are almost equall in features except KIS owns rollback &inteliigent scanning & updates like features where ESS owns Anti-theft, advanced memory scanner & exploit blocker like features. ESS price is almost twice as KIS ( in my country) & both techinacl support is good.

UI - KIS 2014 owns pretty good UI but it's 2015 beta version UI looks not good. ESS owns simple UI, so if we compare KIS 2015 beta & ESS 7, both are equal.
You have forgotton another great piece of feature called kaspersky URl advisor and antibanner

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
good, but member here who posted the thread requested for a comparision of feature, since u have done it, its worth mentioning some major things, thats all!:)
But kaspersky extension won't work with firefox latest version & it takes time to compatible with latests version of firefox & chrome with extension. having wot or webutation is better then kaspersky url advisor since they compatible with latest version of browsers. and kaspersky don't need plugins or extensions for it's web protection as u can read on that wilder security forum thread. for anti-banner i can use addblock or adblock type extension for browsers.

Reactions: Venustus

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
But kaspersky extension won't work with firefox latest version & it takes time to compatible with latests version of firefox & chrome with extension. having wot or webutation is better then kaspersky url advisor since they compatible with latest version of browsers. and kaspersky don't need plugins or extensions for it's web protection as u can read on that wilder security forum thread. for anti-banner i can use addblock or adblock type extension for browsers.
I agree with u but its just worth mentioning the features that are included as the thread owner requests for it! the thread owner didnt request for an alternative , he just wants to compare!

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I agree with u but its just worth mentioning the features that are included as the thread owner requests for it! the thread owner didnt request for an alternative , he just wants to compare!
Didn't stopped u to post extra features of KIS :rolleyes:but the 'great piece' of features u told me are useless since KIS are too lazy too update their extensions to make compatible with latest version of browser & those features i can get freeware.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Big loss for Kaspersky is its slowness and hunger. It's not as bad as McAfee (1+ GB RAM everywhere), but it is pretty bad. Mine took 20-30 minutes to load the GUI, and freezes every time you click on something. I uninstalled and installed ESET, and I love it! My vote goes to ESET, although Kaspersky offers slightly more features.

Holysmoke

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
Yes you are right Ram Usage never matter, the thing matters is its impact on system.
Even do i noticed that ESET detection rate is better than Kaspersky(On Seeing many the post on MT)

The Online Price is always very High, The Price at ESS is available in markets is Just Rs600 ($10) or Even low.

Kaspersky Internet Security's Price is around Rs525 ($8) or even low.

please tell me where I can buy KIS or ESS for those prices, thanks.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I don't know why you compare ESET full solution Antivirus VS Kaspersky's middle solution Antivirus ? ...

Shouldn't it be Kaspersky PURE 3.0 VS ESET Smart Security ?

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
PURE is always last year's KIS with additional useless junk. KIS may have an edge over KAV because of application control (HIPS) and Trusted Applications Mode but PURE certainly has no edge over KIS in terms of protection.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Its kinda funny to see all the comments, about KAV/KIS and ESET
All these features might be different in a one version one feature show down, but the final verdict comes when all the features of each package has played their hand. I will be the first to admit that ESET does have some individual options that would have a edge over the same module/variant within KAV products.
Yet down the line KAV as a product has a little edge as a end product, and this is mainly due to the internal workings of KAV between modules and how it deals with malware hence why its removal/cleaning/repair is slightly better then ESET.
But then again who could argue about either KAV or ESET? They are both rocksolid and i would prefer them over ANY hyped Asian junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.