Advice Request Kaspersky is the most awarded antivirus. Do you like it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What is your opinion of kaspersky products?

• Positive

Votes: 157 86.3%
  • Negative

Votes: 25 13.7%

• Total voters

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
ZeroDay did not say so. He thinks that WD + properly tweaked Windows built-in security can give the home user similar or better protection than any AV (including Kaspersky). He also said that Kaspersky is more convenient.
I share this opinion, too. But it is also true, that Kaspersky's users do not have to learn many things about Windows built-in security. Kaspersky's products are more compact, easier and more convenient for most users. WD + properly tweaked Windows built-in security, has the advantage of being the most system compatible solution and it's free.
Only security experts can understand what the Windows system provides in terms of security, making it easier for normal people to get an antivirus from third parties. Not everyone burns their eyes reading

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Only security experts can understand what the Windows system provides in terms of security, making it easier for normal people to get an antivirus from third parties. Not everyone burns their eyes reading

As with many things in life, there are many ways to achieve the same end goal. MS has made WD and Windows 10 very secure, but they don't always make it easy to understand, nor do they always make it easy to access. That's why 3rd parties are still a good option for some people.

Protection wise, I don't honestly think you can really see very much difference in the vast majority of products out there IMO. Even WD has improved enough to be a very good AV/AM, but it's still not perfect, nor is any other solution for that matter. As I've always said, it's not always about which product "scores" the highest on a test (including the HUB), there are many more reasons to choose a product (ie: performance, ease of use, configuration options, privacy, customer support, etc...). KIS is a very good product and is very simple by comparison. The settings are much easier to access/understand, however if you tweak WD and take full advantage of the security protections within W10, you will be just as secure, if not more secure by comparison. While it is much better compatibility wise than most 3rd parties out there, it's not always easy to access or understand, but at the end of the day both scenarios will keep you well protected, it's really a matter of which one works best for you and meets your needs.

In saying this, with the advent of programs like Configure Defender, H_C, Syshardener and OSA, it's far easier to take advantage of WD and the built in security within W10 than it use to be in the past, but it still does take some learning and understanding on what's going on.

All in all, like I said at the beginning of my post, there are multiple ways to achieve the same end goal, all it comes down to is which one works best for you.;)

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
ZeroDay did not say so. He thinks that WD + properly tweaked Windows 10 built-in security, can give the home user similar or better protection than any AV (including Kaspersky). He also said that Kaspersky is more convenient.
I share this opinion, too. But it is also true, that Kaspersky's users do not have to learn many things about Windows built-in security. Kaspersky's products are more compact, easier and more convenient for most users. WD + properly tweaked Windows 10 built-in security, has the advantage of being the most system compatible solution and it's free.
No free solution is higher than a paid one

L

Local Host

What about the WD’s performance impact on the system? I remember that WD was no good on a harddisk.
WD's performance has improved with the latest build, but is still miles away from third-party suites like Kaspersky. Not to mention the high rate of false positives it has with unknown files.

It simply gets in the way of work to much, and I will never recommend WD to anyone until they solve all those problems, not to mention the lack of proper customization in the Security Center (having to rely on third-party software to configure it properly is ridiculous).

People recommend WD's in default-deny setups, in terms of security I find it hard to believe is any better than a suite like Kaspersky (that WD's setup is easily bypassed by malware), WD's behaviour blocker leaves a lot to be desired, the cloud is okay and the signatures are weak.

Microsoft focus more on the Enterprise with ATP and other tools, which make WD more usable, for Home Usage I would never recommend it as I said before.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
We are talking too much about WD on Kaspersky thread. :giggle:
Here are more adequate threads, for example:

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
A car mechanic can keep his car running smooth without anybody's help but everyone cannot be a car mechanic. So, they need others to that.
In the same way most people need AVs like Kaspersky to keep their system safe.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The user could mix in theory the Kaspersky and some of Windows 10 built-in security features (SmartScreen, SRP, Exploit Protection, Application Guard, Application Control, AppLocker), but this will make the home user's computer 10% safer and 90% less usable.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
in my opinion
1 - kaspersky
2- Avast
Kaspersky is more transparent, more compatible with the service system, is not complicated, has very good detection
and every internet user wants him and his system to protect him.
In addition, it is very popular and is known for the top shelf program.
Defender of bits - is a bit heavy and slows the system and browser, so I do not use it.
Avast is also a good program, although a bit too much of these ads, but it is generally light and does not slow down the system, and also has good detection.
This is my opinion, but this is just my opinion. Tomas may have another one.

Last edited:

jackwilli

Level 3
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
I have mixed experience with Kapersky. On my old laptop it was amazing but on my new one it caused many problems and also much heavier than all other AV i tried.

Reactions: Burrito

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I like Kaspersky a lot but there is one issue which is a real pain & that is how it will slow VPN's down dramatically, this applies to the VPN's I've tried - It's an issue they are aware of but not fixed (from my reading) I always thought it was limitations of VPN's - Norton for example doesn't nor does ESET SS/IS - Another program that can slow VPN's is the desk version of ADGuard, though still experimenting with that. :)

Reactions: Burrito

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I am currently using Kaspersky Free, I have no problems with it because it does not have a firewall.
maybe the problems occur when using KIS because it has a firewall?
I just do not know if I want to remove KFA or will there be problems with its removal? I did not check it.

Reactions: Cortex

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I am currently using Kaspersky Free, I have no problems with it because it does not have a firewall.
maybe the problems occur when using KIS because it has a firewall?
I just do not know if I want to remove KFA or will there be problems with its removal? I did not check it.

I suspect it's the firewall, as I used Kaspersky for some time I always assumed it was the VPN's that halved the speed but at the moment with Windscribe I get 71 of of a potential 76 (in UK) speed day or night - I put Kaspersky on yesterday out of interest with the VPN in exclusions & trusted & got 35 just as I used to (further faffing with KIS did not change this situation) - No problem with Norton or ESET both with firewalls - The research I've done seems to indicate Kaspersky know about it - I'm happy with Norton now but I do wonder how many VPN's I've slated in the past for slow speed & it may not have been the VPN? I'll try further experimentation when i have time :)

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
I like Kaspersky a lot but there is one issue which is a real pain & that is how it will slow VPN's down dramatically, this applies to the VPN's I've tried - It's an issue they are aware of but not fixed (from my reading) I always thought it was limitations of VPN's - Norton for example doesn't nor does ESET SS/IS - Another program that can slow VPN's is the desk version of ADGuard, though still experimenting with that. :)

I reported this issue over a year ago and they still didn't fix it. Maybe they want to force users to use their vpn

Reactions: Cortex

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I do not use VPN from Kaspersky.
No me neither, I never have either, it's just about every VPN I've tried with KIS that gets halved in speed, such as AIR, Perfect Privacy, Winscribe, ExpressVPN, NORD etc. I actually like Windscribe along with the good extension & use R.O.B.E.R.T as a very effective Adblocker, again in my opinion :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.