App Review Kaspersky IS vs Ransomware ( The PC Security Channel)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Do You mean about getting better result with FileAV + KSN disabled? :p

Even disabling both modules, still UDS (Urgent Detection System) remains working and using cloud :)
Yes. How is it possible? Could it be that cloud picked up what definitions missed and at the same time cloud is kinda dissabled when file AV is on?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yeah probably or maybe a question of priority :unsure:

Sometime ago I realized that disabling KSN setting does not disable fully the cloud features of the product, UDS still works and remains protecting the system, and it seems can't be disabled unless you go offline or probably disabling also System Watcher, but never tried...

Last edited:

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
Yeah probably or maybe a question of priority :unsure:

Sometime ago I realized that disabling KSN setting does not disable fully the cloud features of the product, UDS still works and remains protecting the system, and it seems can't be disabled unless you go offline or probably disabling also System Watcher, but never tried...
Does this means that disabling KSN just impacts the rules that Application Control charges?
Or event they still work?
Thank u for the great info!

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Does this means that disabling KSN just impacts the rules that Application Control charges?
Or event they still work?
Thank u for the great info!
yes, application control gets the app rules/reputations/ratings from KSN. If you disable KSN, application will malfunction a bit
When you disable KSN after something is already detected by KSN or KSN-dependent modules, a reboot is a must to remove the cache => won't be detected by KSN/UDS any more

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
yes, application control gets the app rules/reputations/ratings from KSN. If you disable KSN, application will malfunction a bit
When you disable KSN after something is already detected by KSN or KSN-dependent modules, a reboot is a must to remove the cache => won't be detected by KSN/UDS any more
Thank u for the info.
As a user of KTS, I will keep KSN, but KSN seems pretty useless for a KSC Free user then.

Reactions: bayasdev

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
No it's not. KSC Free uses KSN too for checking the reputation of a file.
Oh well, that's great to know as well :D
So basically, KSN makes the "recheck" appart from "File antivirus" heuristics, before executing the file, where System Watcher kicks in, right?
Sorry for the questions, I'm new to Kaspersky, and while I'm pretty happy, I didn't find much info about how KSN really works :cry:
Cheers!

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
No surprise to me, although I don't trust his privacy too much and it has always affected the speed of my system while surfing the internet, he remains Jason Voorhees against digital threats.

• HaHa
Reactions: fabiobr

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
ANY security software says "disabling real time protection is going to let your PC unprotected" you don't have to explain the HOME USER how modules works.

Dumb.

Reactions: bayasdev

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Oh well, that's great to know as well :D
So basically, KSN makes the "recheck" appart from "File antivirus" heuristics, before executing the file, where System Watcher kicks in, right?
Sorry for the questions, I'm new to Kaspersky, and while I'm pretty happy, I didn't find much info about how KSN really works :cry:
Cheers!
Yes. File antivirus checks newly created files and also on access by its signatures and light heuristics. Upon execution a more deep heuristic scan is performed as well as checks the reputation on KSN. System watcher is a post execution based module that always monitors activity of files and if it finds something suspicious then stops the process tree and tries to rollback all the actions performed by that malicious process.

James246

Level 1
Verified
Jan 19, 2018
My guess is the basic Kaspersky Anti Ransomware Tool will also have a very impressive result in this test

Reactions: toto_10

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Is the best antivirus in the world today, there is no doubt, complete in every way, it just needs to be a little lighter for weak PCs. otherwise, without words.
Very impressive! I just went ahead and switched back to the free version myself yesterday.

Reactions: toto_10

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.