App Review Kaspersky IS vs Ransomware ( The PC Security Channel)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah probably or maybe a question of priority :unsure:

Sometime ago I realized that disabling KSN setting does not disable fully the cloud features of the product, UDS still works and remains protecting the system, and it seems can't be disabled unless you go offline or probably disabling also System Watcher, but never tried...
Is it possible that disabling KSN actually only disables sending information but the product still receives the require data for protection?

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
Yes. File antivirus checks newly created files and also on access by its signatures and light heuristics. Upon execution a more deep heuristic scan is performed as well as checks the reputation on KSN. System watcher is a post execution based module that always monitors activity of files and if it finds something suspicious then stops the process tree and tries to rollback all the actions performed by that malicious process.
Thank u so much for this info
It is always great to know how something works to try to fix it in case something goes wrong
U and harlan4096 explain better how Kaspersky works and some settings than the whole Kaspersky documentation 😂😂
Cheers!

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
Unfortunately the free version does not have Application Control, but still great.
Well, that would be the case of latest test.
Still your data is safe.
And well, if you want an AV to do what an AV does, then KSC Free do it the best.
If you want a full security Suite, then you have the KIS/KTS/KSC Personal-Family.
Thing is, if you have enough head, and you don't have very private info on your PC (application control in mind, and webcam control), with KSC Free, you are more than good to go! 😄
As I said, for a medium/advanced user, KSC Free Will probably do the job perfectly fine, since caution and awareness are always best protection ;)
Cheers!

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
I did a test with malware that Kaspersky did not take (both with signatures and KSN). Behaviour (PDM:Trojan.Win32.Bazon.a) came into action and blocked it, removed it and rolled back the changes. After about twenty minutes it was available on KSN.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Yeah probably or maybe a question of priority :unsure:

Sometime ago I realized that disabling KSN setting does not disable fully the cloud features of the product, UDS still works and remains protecting the system, and it seems can't be disabled unless you go offline or probably disabling also System Watcher, but never tried...
Disabling KSN might disable only feedback system/sending unknown files to the cloud.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thank u for the info.
As a user of KTS, I will keep KSN, but KSN seems pretty useless for a KSC Free user then.
as other users have said, KSN is equal to cloud component in other AVs. Therefore, it's super important for early detection of malwares. If it's disabled, kaspersky WILL lose at least 10-50% of its detection rate depending on the age of the malwares. If you see the detection name with the beginning of "UDS:....", this means something is detected by KSN. "PDM:..." means behavioral blocker

similarly, even worse, if we disable cloud protection in windows defender, we will lose up to 95% of its strength, making Windows defender close to useless. All the power of WD is on the cloud
no internet, no cloud = no WD

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
as other users have said, KSN is equal to cloud component in other AVs. Therefore, it's super important for early detection of malwares. If it's disabled, kaspersky WILL lose at least 10-50% of its detection rate depending on the age of the malwares. If you see the detection name with the beginning of "UDS:....", this means something is detected by KSN. "PDM:..." means behavioral blocker

similarly, even worse, if we disable cloud protection in windows defender, we will lose up to 95% of its strength, making Windows defender close to useless. All the power of WD is on the cloud
no internet, no cloud = no WD
Yes, as I replied later on, I understood thx to @SeriousHoax how KSN does affect, then I consider it to be "good" to have.
I knew WD is pretty bad without cloud protection, and that's the force of Kaspersky --> without Internet, or KSN or Cloud it still manages to have a very good protection.
But as always, having KSN just helps it to be almost unbeatable :D
Thx again for the info

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.