Kaspersky or Emsisoft against Zero-day threats?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Tough one. Both products have pretty good zero-day protection. Emsisoft's behaviour blocker is top notch and I'd personally say that it beats out Kaspersky in that department. So if we're going purely off zero-day protection I'm gonna go with Emsisoft, but if you were to ask me about overall protection, I'd go with Kaspersky. Throw Norton in there too; their behaviour blocking's pretty damn good too.

Edit: For clarification: As @Wave said, Application Control is good too but I'd personally rather have malware quarantined or terminated than have it running at a restricted level on my system which is why I chose Emsisoft.

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Please take my comment so like it is because I don't have experience with Kaspersky, that I know as a excellent product.
I use Emsisoft, and in my opinion its BB is extremely reactive, it also may report anomalies during the uninstallation process of an app, but I appreciate this responsiveness.

Reactions: harlan4096

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why would you want second best, if Comodo is on the top of your list.

If it's not too much to ask;
  1. Are you looking to switch to either Emsisoft or Kaspersky?
  2. What are your reasons?
  3. Why only these two software for comparison?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@jackuars: I think there are many variations We can do in Kaspersky settings, Here You are a couple of links:

Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 Recommended Settings
How to setup Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 for Maximum Protection (Guide)

Also You can check my current settings for testing malware samples in Malware Hub, keeping auto mode but changing only 3 settings You can get a stronger prevention, just check any of my results posts (Spoiler of Settings). That set-up is very easy to change, keeping most of default settings but improving prevention taking unknown applications to High Restricted. Of course We can even have stronger/paranoid settings, but those are IMHO the most easy to change and keeping the main default settings idea.

For instance, in many of my working/productions systems I have a different and more paranoid settings, something similar to:
* Settings -> General -> Untick Perform recommended actions automatically.

* Settings -> Protection -> File Anti-Virus -> Advanced Settings:
Files types: By format.
Heur Analysis: light.
Scan Mode: On access and modification.

* Application Control:
Untick Trust Digitally signed applications.
Change trust group for unknown applications: High Restricted.
Change trust group for applications started before start-up of Kaspersky: Low Restrict/High Restricted.

* Mail Anti-Virus: High Security Level.

* Private Browsing:
Block detected requests -> Untick allow data collections of websites of Kaspersky.

* Web Anti-Virus: Recommend Security Level.
Advanced Settings:
Configure Kaspersky URL Advisor: check all website categories.

* FireWall: check the 5 checkboxes.
NetWorks -> Your network device/network connection -> Trusted Type. Edit it and tick the 3 checkboxes notifications on the right. Set Your default printer also.

* System Changes Control: On. Enable check boxes 1,2 & 3.

* Anti-Spam: High Security Level.

* Anti-Banner: On.

* Performance:
Gaming Profile: off.
Concede resources to operating system...: off.
Concede resources to others applications: on.

* Scan: High Security Level.
Advanced Settings -> Quick Scan settings -> Additional Settings -> Scan of compound files: tick the 1st 4 checkboxes.

* Settings -> Additional -> Secure Data Input: edit both categories and check all the checkboxes.

* Settings -> Additional -> Threats and Exclusions: tick -> Detect other software that can...

* Settings -> Additional -> NetWork:
Monitor all network ports.
Encrypted connections scanning: check 3rd radio button. Close all browsers -> Advanced Settings -> Install Certificate.

* Additional Tools -> Trusted Application Mode -> ENABLE (be a bit patient here until scan is finished).

But as I said before, We can have different stronger settings approaches...

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
@jackuars: I think there are many variations We can do in Kaspersky settings, Here You are a couple of links:

Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 Recommended Settings
How to setup Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 for Maximum Protection (Guide)

Also You can check my current settings for testing malware samples in Malware Hub, keeping auto mode but changing only 3 settings You can get a stronger prevention, just check any of my results posts (Spoiler of Settings). That set-up is very easy to change, keeping most of default settings but improving prevention taking unknown applications to High Restricted. Of course We can even have stronger/paranoid settings, but those are IMHO the most easy to change and keeping the main default settings idea.

For instance, in many of my working/productions systems I have a different and more paranoid settings, something similar to:

But as I said before, We can have different stronger settings approaches...

I dont want to tradeoff usability even when increasing the protection. Does the Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 Recommended Settings respect that feature?

Reactions: shukla44

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
I've been doing a lot of testing lately since my Emsisoft license is due to expire soon and I want to see if anything out there may offer better protection, and they both perform great against newer threats. Some days Emsisoft performs better, while other days Kaspersky does. But overall I would say it's very even, and at that point you need to take other factors into consideration like system impact, detection rate, and configuration options. I have only used Kaspersky in a VM, but I would say Emsisoft is lighter on resources. Scans and remediation take much longer with Kaspersky, but once again I'm not sure if this is because of the VM environment. I'm going to test it out on my main system soon to see if there is any improvement. But Emsisoft performs just as well as with my main PC. With the samples I have been using I find that Emsisoft's detection rate is slightly better than Kaspersky, but once again it varies from day to day. As for configuration settings, Kaspersky by far. You can adjust pretty much anything. One last thing I would like to mention is privacy which is very important to me, and I would go with Emsisoft.

Reactions: shukla44

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Kaspersky has an interesting approach to exploits and attacks, called ZETA (Zero-day, Exploit and Targeted attacks shield).
It works with data streams instead of individual files, analyses unusual code/data and interconnection, uses heuristics, consults KSN and thus protects against new exploits and targeted attacks. Find details in this white paper.

Let me shed some light on exploit protection under zero-day.
Emsisoft has strengthened its protection against exploits recently in 2016, it didn't provide anti-exploit protection earlier.
Kaspersky's 'Automatic Exploit Prevention' that has been around since 2013 does the following acc. to their support
  • Controls executable files started from vulnerable applications and web browsers (for example, an attempt to run an executable file by a program designed for viewing documents).
  • Controls suspicious actions of vulnerable applications (for example, if the rights of a running vulnerable application are exceeded and it writes itself into the other processes’ system memory).
  • Monitors previous program starts (for example, whether the program was started by the user or by an exploit).
  • Tracks a source of a malicious code (for example, a web browser that started download of an infected file; remote web address).
  • Prevents using application vulnerabilities.
Kaspersky's AEP has performed well, competing with Symantec and is provided in home versions too.
A major challenge over detecting malicious payload drops is to cope with newer techniques of RCE (Remote Code Execution, one of the biggest vulnerabilities on Windows) and suites are still struggling, from what is apparent.
I'm not comparing the offerings with Emsisoft. This is for informational purpose. Emsisoft just got started with total protection after they changed their stance and strived to become a full protection suite. Not much of tests/results for the same are available.
For the above reason, please do not consider the result of Emsisoft shown in the below test result I'm sharing:
Report link
Screenshot (19).png
(Note: ES had not implemented an ANTI-EXPLOIT during the test. It had even not submitted its product for the same. HMPA leads the competition).

Coming back to overall Zero-day protection, Emsisoft and Kaspersky excel in different ways.
Emsisoft BB is fantastic and it may alert for quite some activities the user would have to decide over then. It's great for power users.
Its BB, depending on alert settings, may alert for trojan, backdoor, hijacking, process injection, hidden activities, debugger registration etc. that covers whole lot of malicious actions already.
Emsisoft has its Anti-malware network with 273,890,717 files in its database, and counting based on realtime submissions by the products..
An exhaustive coverage by BB. Limit activities of apps individually.
BB
emsisoft-internet-security-9-alerts_21-01-2015_23-31-06.jpg
App control
emsisoft-internet-security_748160_full.jpg
(do not have more images to share currently)

Kaspersky has chosen to offer multitude of configuration in settings and activity control:
Set auto rules for apps. System watcher for behavior and malicious activity monitoring.
Screenshot (14).png Screenshot (15).png
Kaspersky Application Advisor and Security Network (KSN) is vast and helps make auto-decisions
You may control changes, restrict activities and access to different system folders etc.
Screenshot (18).png Screenshot (17).png Screenshot (16).png
It has a nice vulnerability scanner and Software Updater (customizable to update vulnerable apps only).

In the end, over the excellent sig-heur protection both offer, you've to consider the Application control, Behavior blocking, System Watcher, defaults and offerings more importantly --> test the configurability, usability and effective coverage of both for the best judgement.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Then You can keep default settings in general, enabling PUP/PUA/Adware setting, and moving unknown application to Low/High restricted in Application Control...

Very simply put, this is the best setting for HIPS. I go one more step ahead & set-up it as move unknown to high restriction & all high restriction application prompt at startup. So you can guess this is the ultimate for interactive protection as only application in KSN trusted are allowed to run automatically.

BTW, As for your comparison, i am gonna suggest NONE in default settings. Even CFW in defaults is no good against zero-days. But in custom settings, this all changes. It all depends on how the settings are changes & how much change & usability you can tolerate regarding that change. So, for custom settings, i am gonna go with Kaspersky.

Regards.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I go one more step ahead & set-up it as move unknown to high restriction & all high restriction application prompt at startup. So you can guess this is the ultimate for interactive protection as only application in KSN trusted are allowed to run automatically.
Perfect way to make Kaspersky even better. More you explore and set, less you need to use complementary apps.
Yet, one should occasionally check what apps are classified in which groups, maybe some necessary ones are restricted or some rules set by KSN itself get changed by KSN's updates.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Perfect way to make Kaspersky even better. More you explore and set, less you need to use complementary apps.
Yet, one should occasionally check what apps are classified in which groups, maybe some necessary ones are restricted or some rules set by KSN itself get changed by KSN's updates.

When KTS prompts me about a unknown process which is in high restricted, if i trust it, i set it to trusted, so it is launched as it should be. Otherwise all other prompts are met with 'allow now' so i can keep getting prompts & keeps tabs as to what is happening.

Yes, i monitor application list frequently for apps in trusted & restricted sections.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.