Advice Request Kaspersky Password Manager Privacy

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Política de privacidade do Kaspersky Password Manager.jpg

Second one: "I am aware and accept that my data is handled and TRANSMITTED (including to third countries), as described in the privacy policy. I confirm that I read the privacy policy fully."

Why this to a Password Manager?

Privacy policy link

Last edited by a moderator:

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I just tried to run the USA Kaspersky Password Manager installer and it simply installed the app without showing me a privacy policy or EULA. Perhaps it's covered by the KTS EULA that I can't find an easy way to pull back up.

The description/FAQ for Kaspersky Password Manager claims that it's zero knowledge (Kaspersky doesn't have your master key) which in theory should mean that they do not get to see or have the ability to decrypt your passwords.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Looking at the behavior of the software more, I am thinking it is not sending your passwords or anything sensitive like that back to Kaspersky or third parties and the wording of the EULA/Privacy Policy are just boilerplate for their other products.

But either case, with all due respect to these AV software I feel reluctant to use their password managers. I'd rather use one from Chrome/Firefox or better yet, something like 1Password or keePass where they are focused on password management and not just doing it as part of a kitchen sink suite.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
But I think they could, as any other cloud password manager, know what you're storing in your password vault; when you store a password, the password manager usually contact their server to update icons for stored website and by doing that they know what you're storing not the passwords.

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
How does Kaspersky secure my passwords and personal data?

Kaspersky Password Manager encrypts data using a symmetric key algorithm based on the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) – this AES algorithm is used worldwide to protect top-secret data. As part of this you receive a key – used to get into your password vault – that is derived from your master password using Password-Based Key Derivation Function 2 (PBKDF2).
Is my data shared with Kaspersky?

Is my data shared with Kaspersky?

No. We use Zero-Knowledge Security, which means neither Kaspersky – as the application developer – nor anybody else, knows a single thing about your data. Your data belongs only to you and is accessible only by you. This aspect of your password protection will never change. We respect users’ privacy completely.

source: Kaspersky Password Manager 2020 | Random Password Generator & Digital Vault | Kaspersky

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.