Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Had a look through "application control" settings interface,and noticed that the Kaspersky anti-virus process was automatically placed by kaspersky in the "low restricted" group.Is this normal?
I would have assumed that it should be in the "trusted group",being a kaspersky process!
Please advise.

qt-dbagihiaimytxzcoixqs.jpg

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I know that sometimes applications that are trusted are moved to low restricted.Since trusted programs can still become infected Kaspersky re-evaluates them instead of always considering them safe.I believe this is normal but have you tried changing it to trusted and then see if it is placed back into low restricted.

I used KIS for a long time and what happened to me was 3rd party programs I had trusted would end up in low restricted.Annoying as it might be it is normal

Reactions: Jack and Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I tried reseting the rule for the kav process and tried moving it to trusted,but kaspersky places it back to low restricted.
Thanks for the clarification, and I will assume then that this is normal.

Cheers!:)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
By default these are the rules for low restricted

Interaction with programs

Low Restricted—everything is allowed except for building into operating system modules

Access to resources

Low Restricted—everything is allowed except for changing important system files (boot.ini, system.ini, autoexec.bat, executable files within the system directory, etc.)

I imagine you have nothing to worry about as this is normal

Reactions: Ink and Venustus

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
By default these are the rules for low restricted

Interaction with programs

Low Restricted—everything is allowed except for building into operating system modules

Access to resources

Low Restricted—everything is allowed except for changing important system files (boot.ini, system.ini, autoexec.bat, executable files within the system directory, etc.)

I imagine you have nothing to worry about as this is normal

You are correct, KAV has a self defense module running along side the resident shield, to maintain the integrity of KAV itself.
Every process by KAY is constantly being checked and KAV has the ability to isolate problems and to repair them.
One should worry if these processes would be placed into the trusted zone, by KAV itself for the simple reason that it would mean that the Self Defense module is corrupted.
Because within the trusted zone ANY file can do whatever it chooses to do without interference of KAV.

Reactions: Jack

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Makes sense,but i would have thought a kaspersky related process would automatically be "trusted".
Nevertheless I will accept the fact that this is normal, as you gentlemen have suggested:)

NB:Maybe it's that way by design, so that the process is not overly agressive thereby deleting critical system files??

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Makes sense,but i would have thought a kaspersky related process would automatically be "trusted".
Nevertheless I will accept the fact that this is normal, as you gentlemen have suggested:)

NB:Maybe it's that way by design, so that the process is not overly aggressive thereby deleting critical system files??
Well the self defense module targets specifically KAV modules and internal files, to ensure 100% protection of the very KAV core itself.
And by doing so the resident shield can focus specific on "user" and system data.
So the aggressiveness of the SDF modules really does not affect resident protection modules.
Other then that i do not know how to explain.

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Well the self defense module targets specifically KAV modules and internal files, to ensure 100% protection of the very KAV core itself.
And by doing so the resident shield can focus specific on "user" and system data.
So the aggressiveness of the SDF modules really does not affect resident protection modules.
Other then that i do not know how to explain.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.