Advice Request Kaspersky Security Cloud Free

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Any EAM users here? Is it worth switching from EAM to KSC free? I feel like this has so many features even in its free form.

I've used Emsisoft in the past and its a very good program. I haven't tried KSC free, so I cannot compare the 2, but if it was me I would just give it a try and see what you think. After all its your system, so IMHO only you can be the true judge if it's worth the switch or not. :)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I get you guys. BUT! And this is a big BUT. Kaspersky leaves so many files behind after uninstalling even when I use Revo Uninstaller. If I give it a test run I will probably do a backup first. They leave so many files behind as if they're expecting that you will use it again. (n)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I get you guys. BUT! And this is a big BUT. Kaspersky leaves so many files behind after uninstalling even when I use Revo Uninstaller. If I give it a test run I will probably do a backup first. They leave so many files behind as if they're expecting that you will use it again. (n)
Take a system image and try it out. There is a lot to like.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Try IOBits uninstaller, it excells with "residual" files that software leave hanging around. I often use it after I use Revo on large program uninstalls. PeAcE

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky has their own uninstaller tool. I haven't used it in a couple years, but it is pretty effective. It will completely remove Kaspersky, and hopefully won't remove more than that. lol.
never touch kaspersky removal tool
I will 100% break your machine, specifically system restore

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
To run Kaspersky uninstalls I use own uninstaller via Control Panel -> Programs and Features, after that I run "Registrar Registry Manager Free" and run a full search of word "kaspersky" several times, deleting all the registry leftovers found... this will keep clean Your Windows Registry of Kaspersky keys, and about files I just check C:\Program Files x86\ default installation folder and C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky, these are the only places where Kaspersky usually places its files...

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
I want to give a try KSC but i can't make up my mind if iwant to pair it with Syshardener or VS.What choice is better talking only about safety?

Reactions: Weebarra

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Last days, I installed the kaspersky Software Updater and I saw it consuming so much memory that immediately I uninstalled it because losing 150 to 200mb ram, then I opted to use glary software updater. 5mb of memory.

It's wrong to just look at RAM usage and consider that to be only source of performance impact.

Smoke

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2014
I want to give a try KSC but i can't make up my mind if iwant to pair it with Syshardener or VS.What choice is better talking only about safety?

SysHardener is a one time setting applied so once you apply your settings it won't be running in the background/services so there's nothing to stop you using all 3 should you want that.

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
SysHardener is a one time setting applied so once you apply your settings it won't be running in the background/services so there's nothing to stop you using all 3 should you want that.
yes thanks,maybe my question will better be if only syshardener pair with KSC is enough.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
yes thanks,maybe my question will better be if only syshardener pair with KSC is enough.
Syshardener at default settings will make some smart firewall rules, and disassociate file types, and a few other tweaks (you should also enable powershell: constrained language). Voodoo is stronger than that.
Exactly how much security a person needs is a very subjective question. A careful and knowledgeable user will probably go through a lifetime without malware infections, just using Windows and Windows Defender at default, out-of-the-box settings.
Others will disable their 5 layers of advanced security in order to run a crack, and get ransomed or mined. lol.

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Exactly how much security a person needs is a very subjective question. A careful and knowledgeable user will probably go through a lifetime without malware infection
you are probably right but sometimes..One week ago,surfing in everyday news sites,out of the blue,CIS alerted for a Trojan Coinminer attack at Edge files and eliminated..

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
you are probably right but sometimes..One week ago,surfing in everyday news sites,out of the blue,CIS alerted for a Trojan Coinminer attack at Edge files and eliminated..
I assume that just means that CIS prevented the site from using your CPU to coin-mine while you were visiting the site. Using visitors for mining is very common these days. It's not dangerous, just annoying. Just close the tab, and the mining is over and done with. It doesn't mean that your system was about get infected.

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
it wasn't on a site,actually i was looking VT that time,the message was Trogan Coinminer...trying to access files Edge/.../...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
it wasn't on a site,actually i was looking VT that time,the message was Trogan Coinminer...trying to access files Edge/.../...
Sorry, I am having a hard time understanding what you say.
First you said you were browsing a news site, and CIS blocked a mining attack on Edge.
Then you corrected yourself, and said you were not browsing, but were checking a file on Virus Total,and it said Trogan Coinminer...trying to access files Edge. What file were you checking, and what does this have to do with CIS?
Something is not clear here. :)

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Sorry, I am having a hard time understanding what you say.
First you said you were browsing a news site, and CIS blocked a mining attack on Edge.
Then you corrected yourself, and said you were not browsing, but were checking a file on Virus Total,and it said Trogan Coinminer...trying to access files Edge. What file were you checking, and what does this have to do with CIS?
Something is not clear here. :)
Sorry about my English:)Indeed there are awful.:)I was browsing in some news sites and then i opened VT, just to see not to upload a file.And out of the blue alerted From CIS Trojan Coinminer...trying to access files Edge/..../...Maybe there is nothing wrong with these sites, i am browsing everyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebarra and Cortex
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.