Advice Request Kaspersky virus protection – BSI warns against the use of products

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021

superleeds27

Level 6
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
Screenshot_20220319-074342_Facebook.jpg

Bit of a sly dig there!

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
When the US invaded other countries did anyone here stopped using US products like Windows OS, MS Office, Apple, Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro etc............just wondering

:rolleyes:
its probably not about the invasion directly... ( Iam german so not a american so no reason to defend the US ) its probably more about the Lengths putin goes about controlling people , media and more hes also loosing quickly power he could go and force weird stuff on companys.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I think it makes no sense for home users who are already Kaspersky customers to change anything, because it is an excellent antivirus and objectively one of the best.

If we talk about new users and business users it might be worth thinking about, but it all depends on your attitude to the situation and politics. I'm just confused by the fact that there are a lot of KGB school graduates and later FSB (new name) in their company. (for example: https://www.kaspersky.ru/about/team/mihail-pribochii ) Also this product is installed in almost all state institutions, although officially there according to the idea should be a competition and in the market is also very strong Eset and there is Dr Web for which Russia is also a home market. But it seems that Kaspersky is heavily patronized? So when buying Windows, I don't get the strong feeling that I'm giving money directly to the CIA like I do here. :D

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Kaspersky is inherently corrupted. This is not new. It's the way it has always been. The information is out there for those who are actually interested in finding it.

That stated... for the vast majority... if you don't have classified or sensitive commercial/industrial/defense information on your computer to steal --- it's a fine capability.

It's too bad that some of the appeasers/apologists and those who engage in fallacious arguments of false equivalence won't let themselves 'get it.'

1647702646711.png

Haha.... love this. (credit to @superleeds27)

Your old Buddy,

-Burrito

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I used Kaspersky Internet Security for a very long time because it was a very effective package. I dare to admit that there was / is the best computer protection software.

My KIS license is still over 200 days old.

Due to the current situation in Ukraine - with Russia's aggression towards Ukraine, I decided to stop using Kaspersky software.

I am currently using G Data IS.

End of support for Russian software.

micasayyo

Level 3
Jan 31, 2022
I used Kaspersky Internet Security for a very long time because it was a very effective package. I dare to admit that there was / is the best computer protection software.

My KIS license is still over 200 days old.

Due to the current situation in Ukraine - with Russia's aggression towards Ukraine, I decided to stop using Kaspersky software.

I am currently using G Data IS.

End of support for Russian software.
I have been using Kaspersky since 2009. In my humble opinion, it is the best antivirus there is, but due to recent events I have uninstalled it from all my computers.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
For me, the following programs have been replaced:

• 7zip -> BandiZip (if you know better, give it a name)
  • Soft Organizer -> HiBit Uninstaller

Reactions: Tutman

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
On April 28, 2022, the Higher Administrative Court in Münster dismissed the appeal by the German-based branch of the company from the Russian Kaspersky Group against the BSI's warning, not to use Kaspersky Antivirus. This upheld a former ruling by the Cologne Regional Court. The latter had approved that the BSI (Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik, Federal Office for Information Security) was allowed to warn against Kaspersky's antivirus software.
The background

In view of the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the ongoing hostilities, the question of whether software from Russian companies should be used in Germany – especially in the area of computer security – was also raised. After assessing the situation, the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) issued a warning on March 15, 2022, against the use of antivirus software from the Russian manufacturer Kaspersky. The BSI recommended replacing applications from Kaspersky's portfolio of antivirus software with alternative products. I had addressed this in the blog post German Cyber Guard BSI warns now against the use of Kaspersky antivirus products. The bottom line is that this is a political decision, but one that has been justified.

A German-based company of the Russian Kaspersky Group (which would have to be Kaspersky Labs GmbH in Ingolstadt) had applied to the Administrative Court in Cologne on March 21, 2022 for a temporary injunction to stop and revoke the BSI warning. However, on Friday, April 1, 2022, the judges of the Administrative Court in Cologne rejected this urgent application (Ref.: 1 L 466/22). An appeal was allowed against this decision.
Kaspersky appeals to the Higher Regional Court

However, an appeal was allowed against this decision (dated April 1, 2022, file no. 1 L 466/22). The German branch of Kaspersky then filed this appeal with the Higher Regional Court (Oberlandesgericht, OVG) in Münster. The 4th Senate of the OVG dismissed Kaspersky's appeal in the decision announced on April 28, 2022. The judges rejected the appeal filed by Kaspersky's German subsidiary against the urgent decision of the Cologne Administrative Court dated April 1, 2022. The 4th Senate ruled that the warning of the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) against the use of antivirus software of the company Kaspersky is lawful and reasoned so, according to this news release (German, I've translated it to English):

"The BSI made the decision to issue the warning without any error of judgment and, in particular, respected the principle of proportionality. The warning was not issued on the basis of extraneous considerations or even arbitrarily.
In particular, it was not politically motivated and does not represent pure symbolic politics. In view of the threat situation identified, its sole purpose was to reduce the risk of possible attacks on information technology security. It was suitable and necessary for this purpose.
With the warning, the BSI is significantly raising awareness of potential dangers that currently arise from the use of Kaspersky's anti-virus programs and recommends replacement with alternative products after individual risk assessment. At the same time, it has formulated the warning in compliance with the restraint requirement and limited it to what is necessary."

The decision (filed under: 4 B 473/22) is final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.