Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I am running KAV 2018 on my Windows 10 PC using Windows Firewall supplemented by WinPrivacy for outgoing internet connections.

Do you think this is enough or would you supplement KAV with one other program for best overall protection?

If so, what would that program be?

Reactions: Syafiq

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I think this is enough, although you may as well add Zemana AM if you like that extra security it provides, also I'd suggest HitmanPro as an on-demand scanner.
Also, what browser extensions you using?

Reactions: Syafiq and frogboy

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I think this is enough, although you may as well add Zemana AM if you like that extra security it provides, also I'd suggest HitmanPro as an on-demand scanner.
Also, what browser extensions you using?

Thanks for the tip. Using Chrome, no real security extension except to prevent leakage of webrtc. Suggestions?

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Thanks for the tip. Using Chrome, no real security extension except to prevent leakage of webrtc. Suggestions?
You should definitely use an adblock extension such as adblockplus, adguard, uBlock. (My personal choice is adgaurd extension) aguard also has a good URL filter combined with Kaspersky's it will provide excellent web protection, you should also use HTTPS Everywhere, other extensions comes to personal needs like a password manager such as LastPass.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
if you know what you're doing, I can recommend you to install metadefender for chrome (extension)
it will automatically upload and scan your recently downloaded files with more than 40 engines => you have some idea about the safety of the files
if you want a free firewall, you may want to try xvirus firewall, which can notify and give you a rating of a process trying to access your internet
otherwise, windows firewall is ok, not that bad
change your network profile to Public

block windows script host, powershell and java. only temporarily enable if you really need them and you know the task you want to do is completely safe

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Since KAV does not include privacy protection (like KIS or KTS) you should build up a decent protect with extensions:

• HTTPS Everywhere
  • PopUpBlocker
  • UBlock Origin
  • NoScript

It does not have firewall but your combination of WF and WinPrivacy should protect you well enough.

Now correct me if i'm wrong, because i have not used KAV in a very long time, but it does not include the Application Control module, does it? In this case, you can pair up KAV with VoodooShield to have control over executables and scripts.

A couple of on-demand scanners and you should be set.

Reactions: Syafiq and frogboy
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I would recommend: Malwarebytes or Zemana+HitmanPro(all paid) and perhaps Voodooshield if you are up to it.(y)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It all depends on your security needs. In other words, what you need in order to feel secure.
A few good browser extensions, as suggested, is important.

And don't forget to keep recent system image backups. Keep them on a media that is totally disconnected from your system, or else ransomware can encrypt your backups, too, even over a network connection.

Beyond that, you have to decide what level of security you want.
This could mean leaving things as they are, or adding an on-demand scanner, or going for more advanced programs such as VoodooShield and HitmanPro.Alert, etc.
It's in your hands.

Reactions: harlan4096
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.