KB4012218, KB4012219: Windows Update processor generation detection

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
Posting this here because it would affect that fact that you will not get security updates.

The March 2017 preview updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 introduce Windows Update processor generation and hardware support detection.

Microsoft published KB4012218 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, and KB4012219 for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 yesterday evening.

These previews are only available through the Microsoft Update Catalog, and only include non-security updates.

They are designed to give system administrators, and interested home users, time to test cumulative updates for the operating systems they are released for before they are pushed out through Windows Update on the next Patch Day.

What's particularly interesting about these two preview updates is that they introduce the detection of the device's processor generation and hardware support.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
On Microsoft website there is changelog for updates and it says "Enabled detection of processor generation and hardware support when PC tries to scan or download updates through Windows Update."
Screenshot_1.png

Do I really need to install this update to receive security updates? I did hide it already even though I'm not planning to change processor in my laptop and I don't have latest one.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
On Microsoft website there is changelog for updates and it says "Enabled detection of processor generation and hardware support when PC tries to scan or download updates through Windows Update."
View attachment 143990

Do I really need to install this update to receive security updates? I did hide it already even though I'm not planning to change processor in my laptop and I don't have latest one.
It will only be a problem if you have the latest Intel 7xxx CPU or AMD zen CPU. I would think that you would need to install it to get security updates. Current patches are now in one package and not smaller ones like in XP days.

Now I would expect a loophole into this issue but I don't have any details on how one would get around it. DISM may do the job but I can't confirm yet though.

Reactions: Marko :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I highly doubt that is a good idea, since the best way to update hardware is from manufacturers itself; which will avoid any incorrect patches.

Unfortunately anything is mandatory for Microsoft due to change of update policy, better yet use the tool provided by MS to hide it temporary.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.