Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Panda Dome Essential 18.0.6
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
NPE, HMP (not installed, I'll download when necessary)
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Vivaldi: Adguard
Opera: Adguard
Maintenance tools
None. Doing regular cleanups manually
File and Photo backup
External hard drive
Cloud: Pcloud, Mediafire
System recovery
None, I make backups of important files in the cloud or on a separate disk. I prefer a clean install when it goes horribly wrong.

kev216

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I would switch Norton Power Eraser and HerdProtect for Zemana Antimalware and add HTTPS Everywhere and Avira Browser Safety to Vivaldi. (Assuming you're able to add said extensions to it.)
You can also add Adguard to Edge if you choose to do so.
I think I'll add HTTPS Everywhere, thanks for the suggestion.
herdProtect still works and connects to their cloud, but you are right that the program itself is not updated anymore. I'm still a happy user though. I've used Zemana in the past, but my license ran out and it had its amount of FP's with the realtime protection.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I think I'll add HTTPS Everywhere, thanks for the suggestion.
herdProtect still works and connects to their cloud, but you are right that the program itself is not updated anymore. I'm still a happy user though. I've used Zemana in the past, but my license ran out and it had its amount of FP's with the realtime protection.
My concern was herdProtect's engines may not be updated anymore, but I can't say for sure. As long as you're happy with it. :)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Nice configuration, thanks but how about the Sophos quarantine? Some time ago I heard that the quarantine was not planned in the Home version (or maybe I'm wrong :D)
They plan on adding it in the future, but they've been saying that exact thing for well over a year now. I realise they're not a consumer-focused company but I feel they're putting their users at serious risk if Home accidentally flags some Windows critical file as malware and deletes it.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
They plan on adding it in the future, but they've been saying that exact thing for well over a year now. I realise they're not a consumer-focused company but I feel they're putting their users at serious risk if Home accidentally flags some Windows critical file as malware and deletes it.
Thank you and indeed it is a serious lack thinking of some false positive.

kev216

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Nice configuration, thanks but how about the Sophos quarantine? Some time ago I heard that the quarantine was not planned in the Home version (or maybe I'm wrong :D)
I've read things some time ago that they do plan a quarantine feature and an anti-ransomware component, but I don't know if that is true or when that will come (if it will). Lot's of people are asking for it on their forums. Truth is that the development of Sophos home is rather slow. We'll see what the future brings. I'm missing a quarantine too, but due to the fact that it has such a low amount of FP's, I can live with it. Overall I like their product, it's clean and light and doesn't nag.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I've read things some time ago that they do plan a quarantine feature and an anti-ransomware component, but I don't know if that is true or when that will come (if it will). Lot's of people are asking for it on their forums. Truth is that the development of Sophos home is rather slow. We'll see what the future brings. I'm missing a quarantine too, but due to the fact that it has such a low amount of FP's, I can live with it. Overall I like their product, it's clean and light and doesn't nag.
I'm asking because actually I like Sophos as a good product, and if the quarantine was built-in, it would be complete.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
My concern was herdProtect's engines may not be updated anymore, but I can't say for sure. As long as you're happy with it. :)
when I scanned with herdprotect, avira engine detected 1 file => I uploaded it to VT and VT said it was clean (0/56 including avira). Next time I scanned, it still reported the same. I doubt some engines are not updated. The good thing is herdProtect is quite good against PUPs especially malicious browser extensions (reasoncore engine). FPs and the slow scanning speed are the problem

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.