Killswitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Can someone tell me what advantages this product may have over Process Hacker 2 or Process Exlploer? Thanks.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Try all of them for yourself and be your own judge. I didn't find any advantages in Killswitch, it is so much slower than both PH and PE and uses more system resources, even with the added features you still have to use Google search to find info about many processes. If you enable verify signatures in both PH and PE, you can manually tell what is safe because malware never has valid signatures. Of coarse many other safe processes might not have signatures either but you can Google them.

Killswitch does have a better GUI maybe explains why it uses more resources than PH and PH, also Killswitch has some bugs like locking up on right clicks, hanging when selecting an option, etc.

Test them for yourself and share your experience.

Thanks.:D

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Right now Process Hacker 2 is the front runner for me. Killswitch is too sluggish and Process Explorer does not seem to give me as many options, though it is hard for me to ditch Process Explorer because I am so accustomed to the UI.

I

illumination

I have replaced my task manager with Killswitch.. I am not having any problems with it being sluggish or parts of the application not working.. I granted Killswitch access to memory to keep the D+ logs from piling up, other then this, smooth as can be!

D

Deleted member 178

Only KS allow you to delete permanently a malicious file, the 2 others just let you kill the process.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Only KS allow you to delete permanently a malicious file, the 2 others just let you kill the process.

On Process Hacker, you can right click "Suspend" process then right click "Open File Location" and easily delete the file from Windows Explorer.

It is not recommended to delete a file until you open the files location and check it out, deleting the wrong file can cause more damage than what a malware infection could do.

The delete option is not added because of safety, a user could get paranoid a delete an important file.

Has anyone noticed that on the Send To menu of the latest Process Hacker you now can send files to camas.comodo.com to scan?

P

Plexx

I tried Killswitch, Process Explorer and Process Hacker and I find Process Hacker a bit better in my opinion.

Killswitch did cause a problem twice on a process that I wanted to terminate and couldn't terminate. I had to use Unlocker to do so, did it but then Killswitch crashed.

Tried to recreate the same scenario with Process Hacker and was able to terminate the piece of malware without a problem.

If only i could customize the look of Process Hacker. Ain't really a fan of the colours but I haven't really explored all the options on the application yet.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
biozfear said:
I tried Killswitch, Process Explorer and Process Hacker and I find Process Hacker a bit better in my opinion.

Killswitch did cause a problem twice on a process that I wanted to terminate and couldn't terminate. I had to use Unlocker to do so, did it but then Killswitch crashed.

Tried to recreate the same scenario with Process Hacker and was able to terminate the piece of malware without a problem.

If only i could customize the look of Process Hacker. Ain't really a fan of the colours but I haven't really explored all the options on the application yet.

Don't forget about System Explorer it has a very nice GUI and one of the largest process info libraries.

I have found that Process Hacker is able to kill processes that no others can kill without any lockups or issues and is more stable than the rest. However I like System Explorer better because it has process info integrated so you don't have to Google them to find out what they are. Also has an integrated Security Scan which is more accurate and hardly ever has false positives.

System Explorer is Gizmo's top pick Process Viewer- http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-process-viewer.htm

Many systems, many results ^^

That is completely true, however on the 6 different systems that I have tried Killswitch on, produced the exact same results, it was very slow and tend to lockup when I tried to use its features. It didn't appear to be very stable kind of like a beta test version. Of coarse it can improve with updates but right now is not stable enough for me to use.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is KillSwitch 100% dependant on the cloud, without using the 90MB database for CCE's scanner?

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
When first run it downloads a 210mb database of black-listed virus signatures, and when it flags a suspicious process that isn't in it's local database it connects to the cloud. Now if it's not connected to the internet I'm guessing it would block the process.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
pcjunklist said:
When first run it downloads a 210mb database of black-listed virus signatures, and when it flags a suspicious process that isn't in it's local database it connects to the cloud. Now if it's not connected to the internet I'm guessing it would block the process.

That's quite a hefty download, don't you think? Now I don't know if that's a good or bad thing?

I would like to see someone test KillSwitch without an Internet connection.

D

Deleted member 178

if you have CIS already installed you dont have to download the virus database again. CCE has a feature to import it from CIS.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
pcjunklist said:

That's quite a hefty download, don't you think? Now I don't know if that's a good or bad thing?

I would like to see someone test KillSwitch without an Internet connection.

Just the size alone makes it too much of an inconvenience for pc techs to use on infected systems and I have never any customers that already had CIS installed because importing is not an option.

Of coarse you can put CCE on portable device, but than you still have to constantly manually update it.

System Explorer uses a different approach, it already includes a list of safe and dangerous processes in the latest installer or portable version. It only connects to the internet if a process is unknown to the current list. It's total size is only 5.23MB including the lists, if it does have to connect to download process info which is rare because they have one of the largest process libraries available, it only downloads at the max under 5MB. Of coarse on a highly infected system with several zero-day malwares, the size could be larger.

Makes me wonder why Comodo's database is so huge. I don't think there is any way it could have more process info than System Explorer's database. (Contains 4,260,175 files and counting!)

Does anyone know how many files Comodo has in their database?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The reason I used Killswitch is their verdict system that added and its likely to be an accurate much possible due to their heuristics analysis.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
On that case Comodo managed to got good accurate results however equivalent on more FP rates but that's come in spring cleaning of the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.