Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012 is an office suite that offers a number of features for creating, viewing and editing personal and business documents. Kingsoft Office 2012 includes Kingsoft Writer, Kingsoft Presentation and Kingsoft Spreadsheet. These three reliable and versatile programs are perfect for both personal use at home and for professional businesses. They offer outstanding value at their listed cost compared to competing office programs.

What's new in Office Suite Free 2012

New: Automatic spell checker. A built-in spell checker will automatically proofread the text you enter as you create your documents.
New: Activate and update the software online.
Improved: A new and improved layout allows for much quicker document processing compared to previous versions. Editing the layout, finding and replacing words and inserting pictures are only some of the processes improved by the new layout.

Link

I can say its good as alternative to Microsoft Office. Yet its free which is a +1.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Kingsoft joined with Libreoffice and OpenOffice as free alternative for Microsoft Office by releasing freeware version of its office suite, Kingsoft Office suite Free 2012. Kingsoft Office Free 2012 includes Kingsoft Writer, Kingsoft Spreadsheet, built-in PDF Converter, automatic spell checker and Kingsoft presentation.

Kingsoft Office vs.. Microsoft Office

This office Suite is fully compatible with Microsoft Office. You can view and edit documents created by Microsoft Office without MS office being installed in your Computer similarly, Microsoft Office can also view and edit Kingsoft documents without Kingsoft Office installed in your Computer.

Kingsoft Office suite size is 68 MB very small, when compared to Microsoft Office and one-tenth of it. You’ll feel at home with Kingsoft Office as its user interface buttons, controls are similar to that of Microsoft Office.

Techdows

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Seems good but my question would be....Can the documents written with Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012 be edited or open with Microsoft Office...because in real life, most of the Pc's have Microsoft Office as a main editor, and if I write a presentation for my work, when I'll need to present/edit the project at work ,they'll most likely have Microsoft Office on their computers.

D

Deleted member 178

that is right it is an important point, i would like to know too

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Yes, that is the question to consider when using the other suites. I've used Open Office 3, SoftMaker Office 2006, 2008 & 2010 [and its rebranded twin Ashampoo Office] and while general operations work, the end results in terms of look and formatting [for example TOC, styles, etc. for Word documents] had the element of unpredictability, which does really weigh on your mind, especially in corporate environment.

The issues were more serious with spreadsheets - although Microsoft released ODF support with Office 2007 SP2, they were criticized for their implementation and there were claims that Office 2007 SP2 sreadsheets simply do not conform to ODF standards.

Commendable effort from Kingsoft, though, I'll definitely look at it. Thank you, jamescv7!

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Jack said:
Seems good but my question would be....Can the documents written with Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012 be edited or open with Microsoft Office...because in real life, most of the Pc's have Microsoft Office as a main editor, and if I write a presentation for my work, when I'll need to present/edit the project at work ,they'll most likely have Microsoft Office on their computers.

Hmmm.... Jack I think on my recent post the answer was here.

This office Suite is fully compatible with Microsoft Office. You can view and edit documents created by Microsoft Office without MS office being installed in your Computer similarly, Microsoft Office can also view and edit Kingsoft documents without Kingsoft Office installed in your Computer.

Kingsoft Office suite size is 68 MB very small, when compared to Microsoft Office and one-tenth of it. You’ll feel at home with Kingsoft Office as its user interface buttons, controls are similar to that of Microsoft Office.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
what they say and what's true, are two different things. Once I have my new laptop up and running I will answer you jack :)

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
From the ReadMe:

System Requirements
=====
Operating System
Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7

Basic Configurations:
CPU: Pentium II 266 MHz or higher;
Memory: at least 128 MB;
Hardware: at least 200 MB available space;
IE: version 6.0 or higher;

Recommended Configurations:
CPU: Pentium III 450 MHz or higher;
Memory: 256 MB or larger;
Hardware: 250 MB available space;
IE: 6.0 SP2;
Printer: the prevalent printer on the market;

Decided to install it on a single-core netbook with preloaded MS Office Starter 2010 - a lighter alternative, plus Kingsoft Presentation would be a nice bonus.

The folder is 173 MB on disk after the quick installation. Pretty insistent on updating, which would start on every launch of any the applications. There is an option to configure the way the updates are performed though, as well as other settings like file associations, repair actions, etc. in supplied configuration tools.

Another interesting bit is the fact that the applications prompt for direct disk access?!

Tried a few Word and PowerPoint files, all opened properly, navigation from TOC worked fine, formatting seemed alright too, no issues with margins and the figures and tables all appeared correctly. I will need to make a few changes in Kingsoft and then open & edit these files in MS Office to check the compatibility further, though.

The presentations played better than what I've experienced with OpenOffice [I've had a few issues with animations running PowerPoint slide shows with OpenOffice before].

I haven't tried the Spreadsheets yet, but this is definitely the toughest test for any MS Office alternative. Another test I haven't done is check how good the PDF Converter is.

Initial impressions are very positive, don't mind the intended close visual resemblance to MS Office, will definitely use it on the netbook, at least.

P.S. And there is the Kingsoft Office for Android too ;)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
who in the world would write documents in Android... no offense but they are way to small to write documents on. Some notes... okey

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Valentin N said:
who in the world would write documents in Android... no offense but they are way to small to write documents on. Some notes... okey

It's a dual boot netbook [Win 7 & Android] I'll be trying it on, just interested :)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
NathanF1 said:
Valentin N said:

It's a dual boot netbook [Win 7 & Android] I'll be trying it on, just interested :)

I didn't think of the netbook but of smartphones that have Android as OS :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yeah, I'm late for Jack's question, but managed to email from support center. ( Actually last Saturday but its a weekend so I've received only at this time)

ebad8h.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.