Status
Not open for further replies.

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
Today (2017-07-30) I installed Kaspersky Internet Security 18.0.0.405(b)

Before I ran the installation files I first uninstalled KIS 17(f) using the Kaspersky Removal Tool.

The installation in itself seemed fine. However, when I rebooted I received 4-5 Application Error Messages
The application was unable to start correctly.
(0xc0000005)
Click OK to close the application.

I have Windows 10 Home Version 1703 OS Build 15063.483

How do I resolve this issue?

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Today (2017-07-30) I installed Kaspersky Internet Security 18.0.0.405(b)

Before I ran the installation files I first uninstalled KIS 17(f) using the Kaspersky Removal Tool.

The installation in itself seemed fine. However, when I rebooted I received 4-5 Application Error Messages
The application was unable to start correctly.
(0xc0000005)
Click OK to close the application.

I have Windows 10 Home Version 1703 OS Build 15063.483

How do I resolve this issue?
Does the problem still persist?
The Kaspersky Removal Tool is known to create some issues. Had you restarted after using the Removal Tool and before installing 2018?
You can relaunch the 2018 installer and select a 'Repair' option if available.
Another way, perhaps a cleaner way, will be to Uninstaller KIS 2018 via the standard way (Control Panel) --> Reboot system --> Run CCleaner (not necessarily needed) --> Install 2018 again and reboot. Let us know if this works.

Reactions: Daniel Hidalgo

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
The Kaspersky Removal Tool is known to create some issues. Had you restarted after using the Removal Tool and before installing 2018?
Another way, perhaps a cleaner way, will be to Uninstaller KIS 2018 via the standard way (Control Panel) --> Reboot system --> Run CCleaner (not necessarily needed) --> Install 2018 again and reboot. Let us know if this works.

I used the Kaspersky Removal Tool to remove KIS 17(f) Then, I rebooted and installed KIS 18.0.0.405(b)
Then I rebooted again to update the KIS database.

The application error messages started upon reboot (0xc0000005) Programs such as Spyshelter Premium, Ranstop and a host of others popped up in error.
I cannot use Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall KIS because I get the exact same error message (Revo will not open)

When I try to uninstall KIS via the control panel I am unable because of Error Message 1719 (Windows Installer service could not be accessed)

I am also not able to relaunch the 2018 installer to select a "Repair" option as the installer will not open

Reactions: AtlBo

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I used the Kaspersky Removal Tool to remove KIS 17(f) Then, I rebooted and installed KIS 18.0.0.405(b)

The application error messages started upon reboot (0xc0000005) Programs such as Spyshelter Premium, Ranstop and a host of others popped up in error.
I cannot use Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall KIS because I get the exact same error message (Revo will not open)

When I try to uninstall KIS via the control panel I am unable because of Error Message 1719 (Windows Installer service could not be accessed)

I am also not able to relaunch the 2018 installer to select a "Repair" option as the installer will not open
Ah, I see that it's not limited to KIS installation, and I'm familiar with this "Application was not able to start correctly". However, there can be a few different causes of the corruption and it will need some troubleshooting.
In my case, it was when I installed Emsisoft AM as an on-demand scanner (passive mode) alongside KIS. KIS set the a2start exe of Emsisoft to Restricted. Next, I was unable to open any applications like in your case and confronted the same error.
Even if I would set it to Trusted, the same errors appeared. Possibly the scan of apps beings launched couldn't be complete? Luckily, I was able to Uninstaller EAM/remove its files and the errors were resolved.

So, a small input I can give is to look if there're some other security apps that can interfere. Can you list down your security apps (like the SpyShelter FW) here? I'm not sure if that will help ahead but that can be a potential cause. I don't think experimenting in Safe Mode will help here.
Also if you can launch the KIS/KTS interface, can you see Application Activity log (by right clicking the Kaspersky icon) and see if Kaspersky blocked or restricted the applications that showed the errors? In my case, it used to show that the App X started and 'closed' immediately. Can you find that any other Security app also got launched close to the launch of that App X?

virusblocker101

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
If you have any other anti malware programs running, temporarily disable

Download their removal tool, on the list "Internet Security"... remove

Then on the list highlight "embedded security".... remove (re-open it and look for something along the lines of this. It is near total security... )

Now re-install

If this doesn't sort your problem then it's not a Kaspersky issue. Some other anti malware etc tool has partially restricted/locked your computer. You need to remove them one by one to find out wich one is causing the issue (or check their settings)

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

FWIW I've used revo pro for years and never had a problem, and this week revo snafu'd but not with kis. I appear to have kis 2017..(e) installed here, so curious to see what's going on.

virusblocker101

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
He did not have to uninstall. You go here and below "for existing users" you choose "update" https://usa.kaspersky.com/home-security

Uninstall with kaspersky removal tool or via Win add/remove again and then look for something like "embedded security".... (within the kaspersky removal tool program)

Restart, then re-install

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
If you have any other anti malware programs running, temporarily disable

Download their removal tool, on the list "Internet Security"... remove

Then on the list highlight "embedded security".... remove (re-open it and look for something along the lines of this. It is near total security... )

Now re-install

If this doesn't sort your problem then it's not a Kaspersky issue. Some other anti malware etc tool has partially restricted/locked your computer. You need to remove them one by one to find out wich one is causing the issue (or check their settings)

I uninstalled every anti-malware program on my computer. It seems that the Kaspersky installer was corrupted. I finally got KIS to properly install. After re-booting I keep getting the same error message

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    181.7 KB · Views: 428

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I uninstalled every anti-malware program on my computer. It seems that the Kaspersky installer was corrupted. I finally got KIS to properly install. After re-booting I keep getting the same error message
My Kaspersky Free yesterday wasn't starting up because the Comodo Firewall put this into the Sandbox.
1. I think that a program is blocking Kaspersky. I know you uninstalled every anti-malware program but you could try to boot Windows in safe mode with networking.
2. Maybe your computer performed a kernel update. Check if you really have the latest Kaspersky. If not then download a offline updater.
3. Do you have the latest updates? If not - update. If yes - then it could be a reason that Kaspersky doesn't start.
Soultions from the internet:
4. Do you have activated Windows?

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017

virusblocker101

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2017

Yes but leftovers can linger. I had issues with uninstalling kaspersky at one point until I downloaded their removal tool & noticed the string "embedded security" (something along those lines)... I highlighted that and hit remove and then I was able to install kaspersky again

Does he use registry cleaners alot? They usually advise you to create a backup

You do not have to uninstall to update. You go here and below "for existing users" you choose "update" https://usa.kaspersky.com/home-security

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Kaspersky Removal Tool should not be used unless the standard uninstalltion process get error or does not finish properly...

The best way to uninstall a Kaspersky product:

1.- Disable SelfDefense.
2.- Exit Kaspersky program from K icon in Windows taskbar notification section.
3.- Run uninstaller from Application Control -> Programs and Features.

If this is not enough, then go to KRemoval Toool.

Also You can use tool: Registrar Registry Manager free, in Search, type: kaspersky, find all the remaining registry keys, then select them all and delete.

virusblocker101

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
SpyShelter allows Kaspersky. If running multiple anti make sure to whitelist them. Look for removal tools for each software installed. Or (incase of damaged registry due to using registry cleaners) try a Windows repair (this should fix registry if messed up). It's one of the two. Windows repair shouldn't take all that long, that's not a refresh, just checks for errors/missing important files, etc

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I haven't uninstalled a previous version of Kaspersky to update to a new one since the 2016 version. Any locked or in use files are updated during reboot. I know older versions actually would have problems if you didn't uninstall first, though.

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
I finally resolved the issue with KIS 18.0.0.405(b) First of all the installation was corrupt. Then the "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005) Click OK to close application." was solved by turning off "System Watcher & "Application Manager"

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I finally resolved the issue with KIS 18.0.0.405(b) First of all the installation was corrupt. Then the "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005) Click OK to close application." was solved by turning off "System Watcher & "Application Manager"
that's not a solution, you literally crippled your KIS.

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
that's not a solution, you literally crippled your KIS.

I brought up the issue directly with Kaspersky technical support. They had me go through all the protection modules one by one until the problem was isolated. With KIS 17(f) I did not have any problems at all. Hopefully, Kaspersky can fix this on their end.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
FWIW, I upgraded KTS yesterday (2017>2018) by via the standard uninstaller (Window's Control Panel/Programs...). After rebooting, I ran the KTS 2018 installer. All went smoothly. Win8.1-64.

Prior to this, I exited VoodooShield.

The Kaspersky Removal Tool is a last resort fix. I would avoid that.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
FWIW, I upgraded KTS yesterday (2017>2018) by via the standard uninstaller (Window's Control Panel/Programs...). After rebooting, I ran the KTS 2018 installer. All went smoothly. Win8.1-64.
Prior to this, I exited VoodooShield...

Likewise, I installed 2018 over 2017 following instructions on kaspersky 2018 download page, and smooth; however, it did knock out my vpn, but vpn was an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.