Status
Not open for further replies.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Installing Kaspersky on top of a previous version is not recommended ...

Could be... kaspersky tech support gave me a link to download _2018 and said to follow the instructions. I can't recall if I manually uninstalled _2017 or if the installer for _2018 took care of that? checking... tech said:
>>Perform the following steps to upgrade to the latest release of Kaspersky Internet
Security:
a) Exit Kaspersky: right-click on the Kaspersky K icon in the lower right corner of
your screen (the system tray). Select 'Exit' from the list that appears.
b) Download and install Kaspersky as described ...<<
I [snipped] the link in case its a "protected" download ;)

webpage says just run the _2018 installer and follow the onscreen directions. IIRC I exited kis_2017 and ran the _2018 installer. Worked fine (other than vpn mishap, easily fixed) :D

Reactions: AtlBo

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Installing Kaspersky on top of a previous version is not recommended ...

This hasn't been true at least since 2015. With version 2018 you don't even need to close the running Kaspersky product as the installer will detect and close it for you when needed.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I followed this successfully.

But there's this that calls for the removal tool.
That second link is recommending to use the removal tool only if you had a different product installed. If it is just a later version of the same product, such as KIS 2018 being installed over KIS 2017, it is not recommended to use the removal tool, instead you follow the first set of instructions, which are stated in "1"

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
That second link is recommending to use the removal tool only if you had a different product installed. If it is just a later version of the same product, such as KIS 2018 being installed over KIS 2017, it is not recommended to use the removal tool, instead you follow the first set of instructions, which are stated in "1"
No... for same product. The instruction says "To reinstall a Kaspersky Lab product or install a later version". Different products are not mentioned.

In brief...
  • Download the new version
  • Remove the existing version using the removal tool
  • Install the latest version of the application

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
No... for same product. The instruction says "To reinstall a Kaspersky Lab product or install a later version". Different products are not mentioned.

In brief...
  • Download the new version
  • Remove the existing version using the removal tool
  • Install the latest version of the application
The two sets of instructions given are indeed very confusing and contradictory. However, it is not recommended to run the remover tool unless you really need it. It is a harsh tool and might mess things up on your system. Use it as a last resort.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
It is true that since the lasts versions of Kaspersky home products, You can install, for instance: K2016 over K2017, or K2017 over K2018, and in general own settings will be kept, but it is also true that We may get issues... so to avoid them better to run a clean install of new versions...

KRemoval Tool only should be used when problems using standard uninstaller or when leftovers/remnants in system from previous versions which cause issues in a new clean installation...

Berny

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2016
Also, proceeding with e.g. 100 clean vs 100 on top installations , percentagewise the clean installs will cause less issues. In some cases a simple uninstall > reboot > re-install is fixing a malfunction.

Last edited:

ras74

Level 2
Verified
May 11, 2014
hi usage ram
rh5m_photo_2017-08-18_16-55-51.jpg

ras74

Level 2
Verified
May 11, 2014
That is not normal... current usage KTS2018c in W10 Pro x64 -> 152MB (after a recover from hibernation)...

Which other security tools installed in system?
Hi, Antivirus does not start, and only Zemana AntiMalware is installed

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Hi, Antivirus does not start, and only Zemana AntiMalware is installed
Do you mean Kaspersky is not initializing on system boot? I would try to uninstall, reboot, reinstall and reboot once more. This should solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.